LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Owner- Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 06:42 PM
nickderosa
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Owner- Couple Questions

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick and I've just picked up my first Lexus- 2007 LS460. Smokey Granite Mica with Dark Stone interior. Packages include Navigation/Mark Levinson/Advanced Parking Guidance, Intuitive Parking Assist, One-Touch Open/Close Power Trunk & Power Door Closers, and Comfort Plus Package. Needless to say, it's a great start to my Lexus journey.

I do have a couple questions I hope you all can answer. I've searched this forum but still fell short on a couple of items.

1. Air Conditioning does not turn on immediately upon startup. I recently replaced the cabin air filter, and yes, I made the mistake of not making sure the system was in recirculation mode, so I forced the filter door up and the servo tabs came out of place. Luckily, they did not break, and by following Shibumi1's DIY (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#&gid=1&pid=8) I was able to get it set back into place (also fixed the droopy glove box problem while at it).

I also tried to reset the A/C system by holding down the "Off" button while the car is in ACC mode, but that did not seem to fix the problem. The system takes around 1 minute to turn on. Any suggestions? I'd like to fix it myself without having to go to the dealer (if possible)- I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I'm in AZ, so A/C is super important.

2. Driver's Side Headlight (LH side)- Headlight is pointing very low and has a tendency to shut off after a while of driving. I've removed the fender lining to access the housing, and the "up & down" motion for the main light is very loose. I can easily wiggle it up and down. See pics below of the droopy headlight in comparison to the non-broken passenger side:

It may be an easy adjustment, but aren't the headlights auto-leveling? It just seems odd that the headlight housing is super loose. Any comments would be appreciated.

Anyway, that's it for now. Looking forward to your feedback!

-Nick

Last edited by nickderosa; 10-22-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hi Nick, congats on the new car and welcome to Club Lexus. It sounds like your car is spec'd exactly like my 2007. I wish you good luck with it.

Unfortunately I can't help you with either issue. I think over the years I have read similar problems with the a/c. If no one chimes in, try doing some more searches.
Old 10-23-18, 07:07 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Thanks for the warm welcome Paul. I'll definitely keep searching and report back here if I find the solution.
Old 10-23-18, 08:41 AM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Just want to congratulate you on your new to you Lexus.

Also, welcome to the club.

There are are many on her who I hope can help you with the issues you described. Unfortunately I am not one of them;-(.

Good luck and let let us know if you get things taken care of and if you do so yourself, a small write up is encouraged so others can learn also.
Old 10-23-18, 08:48 AM
jaishanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi nick.....welcome to the Club...and have a safe driving. even i recently purchased a 2007 LS 460 L with 120000 miles on the ODO. What is your current ODO? try activating and re activating Auto levelling switch in the car.
Old 10-23-18, 10:01 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey Nick - Nice car. I have a Smokie Granite Mica as well. It wasn't my favorite but has seriously grown on me.

1 question about the A/C. Seriously, would you run a stopwatch to give us the actual time of start up? I know mine doesn't just immediately come on either. Not 60 seconds, but probably like 8 if I were to guess. And even at 8 seconds, if it is hot out, it doesn't shoot right to high speed fan. It ramps up, which can also seem like a delay. The 8 second time is when I can say that I can either hear or fell that it is coming on. I suspect the ramp up is a method Toyota uses to give a more luxurious feel to the system. Rather than pushing the start button and suddenly experiencing high speed fan noise and blowing out really warm air on you, it ramps up, and gets the compressor started so the cool air is felt as soon as is possible.

So yeah, time it for me, and I'll time mine. Getting a bit cool in GA now so maybe not apples to apples. But I can slam mine up on full blast and shut it off, then fire it up and time it.
Old 10-23-18, 10:21 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Hey Nick - Nice car. I have a Smokie Granite Mica as well. It wasn't my favorite but has seriously grown on me.

1 question about the A/C. Seriously, would you run a stopwatch to give us the actual time of start up? I know mine doesn't just immediately come on either. Not 60 seconds, but probably like 8 if I were to guess. And even at 8 seconds, if it is hot out, it doesn't shoot right to high speed fan. It ramps up, which can also seem like a delay. The 8 second time is when I can say that I can either hear or fell that it is coming on. I suspect the ramp up is a method Toyota uses to give a more luxurious feel to the system. Rather than pushing the start button and suddenly experiencing high speed fan noise and blowing out really warm air on you, it ramps up, and gets the compressor started so the cool air is felt as soon as is possible.

So yeah, time it for me, and I'll time mine. Getting a bit cool in GA now so maybe not apples to apples. But I can slam mine up on full blast and shut it off, then fire it up and time it.
Thanks! Funny, I totally agree with your color comment. My first choice has always been black, but couldn't find the exact one I was looking for when searching, and this color was my second choice.

Also funny, I did time it yesterday right before making this post. Almost 1 minute exactly. The fan doesn't even start and ramp up as you mentioned. Nothing happens until around that 1-minute mark. I thought the same thing about the "luxurious" feel, but sweating my butt off in the middle of an AZ summer for an entire minute doesn't seem too luxurious Honestly a burst of warm air is better than no air during our summer.

Still searching the forum and web for the fix. It's not the worst thing in the world right now since our weather is cooling off. But I know it needs to be taken care of before next May hits!
Old 10-23-18, 10:27 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

The next thing I would suggest. Buy the Carista app, and the BT OBD-II connector. It works on ALL my vehicles. Possibly there is a code stored that could get you going down the right path to solving your A/C delay. The Carista app is the ONLY app I have ever paid for, in 10 years of having a smartphone. And it is money well spent. I love it. Even if there are no codes on your LS, use it on you other vehicles too. Or friend's vehicles. It is really great.
The following users liked this post:
nickderosa (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 10:42 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd make sure the air filter is fully seated in the tray if you reconnected the recirc door arms and it now moves when pressing the recirc button. The filter not being fully snapped into place can cause this issue.
Old 10-23-18, 10:43 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
The next thing I would suggest. Buy the Carista app, and the BT OBD-II connector. It works on ALL my vehicles. Possibly there is a code stored that could get you going down the right path to solving your A/C delay. The Carista app is the ONLY app I have ever paid for, in 10 years of having a smartphone. And it is money well spent. I love it. Even if there are no codes on your LS, use it on you other vehicles too. Or friend's vehicles. It is really great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve heard great things about Carista, so I just bought one. Should be here today. Gotta love Amazon Prime
Old 10-23-18, 10:48 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Originally Posted by 213374U
I'd make sure the air filter is fully seated in the tray if you reconnected the recirc door arms and it now moves when pressing the recirc button. The filter not being fully snapped into place can cause this issue.
Thanks for the tip. I confirmed the door operates correctly for recirc. I found the filter itself pretty easy to install and the front clips snapped into place. I don't receive any error code to replace the filter, so I'm guessing it's in there properly, but I'll go back in there to double check.
Old 10-23-18, 12:06 PM
nickderosa
Driver

Originally Posted by jaishanker
Hi nick.....welcome to the Club...and have a safe driving. even i recently purchased a 2007 LS 460 L with 120000 miles on the ODO. What is your current ODO? try activating and re activating Auto levelling switch in the car.
Current odometer is 115,000. I tried switching the auto-leveling setting on and off, but no luck. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-25-18, 11:31 AM
nickderosa
Driver

Okay all, just pulled the codes from the Carista app (which is fantastic, by the way)

Here are the codes from the first pull. I'll be pulling the left headlight and checking the swivel motor. I'm assuming this is why the headlight is giving me issues.

Seems like code B1441 is the problem for the air conditioning. I did confirm again that the door does operate correctly when the recirc button is pressed. I pulled these at night, so I believe that is why I'm getting the "Solar Sensor Circuit" errors.

I then reset all the codes and ran the second report. Thoughts??

Old 10-25-18, 01:58 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

First off - Just forget about the solar sensor circuit DTC's. Mine have had that since day one. Probably most do (dunno). A smart member on here stated that it was probably due to parking the LS in the garage … and therefore it cannot see the sun. My car is in perfect shape, and it still gets those codes (parks in the garage). Those are the only codes it gets.

The B1441 might have gotten set due to the instance when you forced open the recirc door. However, it could be related to your delay. I do not know.

I would clear the codes and see what comes back.

The C1646, I have not seen before. Maybe go and try to get it to self park, and see what it does. It could help clarify what the issue is.

You will eventually get the P0701 code. P0701: Unable to detect Exhaust Vents

Jason Oliver
Old 10-25-18, 05:24 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a similar problem with the headlight. If I remember correctly, the body shop where I got the car from was able to “pop” it back in. He used one of these thin picks with a hook.
The following users liked this post:
nickderosa (10-29-18)

Quick Reply: New Owner- Couple Questions