LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Track day session in an Ls460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 01:39 PM
DanIrl
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Sounds awesome. I didn't mean to make it sound like the brakes wouldn't hold up. I meant, it will wear the brakes. As in, you may be needing to replace pads or rotors MUCH SOONER than you would have, had you not done the track day. I didn't consider the tire performance. But what you say makes perfect sense about the tires getting hot and loosing grip. Some really good tires for that track day would have been Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's.

Would have like to have spectated. Did you happen to run a GoPro?
Due to the tire size on the LS here is nothing track orientated to choose from. Some Yokohoma ADR08's would be nice! Best i see is the Michelin PS4's but overkill for everyday use on An LS ]. I had a gopro mounted on the passenger headrest, it seemed to capture a good angle, including my comical driving style! Ill try upload some of it.

One thing was mentioned, no one could hear my car , so obviously the double vents dont give that much volume on track compared to the other cars there today!
Old 10-21-18, 04:07 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The brakes on a LS are VERY capable. 10 yrs ago they would've even been heralded as outstanding for a street car. People think 6 Piston Alcons are required. They're not. As it is now I believe the stock LS460 brakes are a 4 pot Brembo-derived product. At least they look like my old Brembos. A good set of performance biased pads would be a good idea though. And just run them. For a track day, just making laps I think they would be fine. Racing, multiple hot laps after another, things change then. That's when you have bigger concerns like lighter wheels, performance tires, sway bars, lowering, venting, etc... But we're just discussing a friendly track day, learning the limits of our street barge, right?
Old 10-21-18, 04:35 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm sure that was a fun day! I think my LS handles better than the Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon I had before it.

Have you ever run into this guy at Mondello? An old friend of mine who lives in Blackrock -
Old 10-22-18, 08:47 AM
DanIrl
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverSS
The brakes on a LS are VERY capable. 10 yrs ago they would've even been heralded as outstanding for a street car. People think 6 Piston Alcons are required. They're not. As it is now I believe the stock LS460 brakes are a 4 pot Brembo-derived product. At least they look like my old Brembos. A good set of performance biased pads would be a good idea though. And just run them. For a track day, just making laps I think they would be fine. Racing, multiple hot laps after another, things change then. That's when you have bigger concerns like lighter wheels, performance tires, sway bars, lowering, venting, etc... But we're just discussing a friendly track day, learning the limits of our street barge, right?

Yes pretty much just friendly private track days, no racing allowed etc, just having some fun and as you said find the limits and restrictions of the car as is, i dont think i will keep the car too long maybe another year or so before i get bored of the barge-ness of it! I might do another track day early next year and some more capable pads would help for sure i think
Old 12-23-19, 06:08 PM
GreyRhino
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking to do this some time real soon.
Old 12-23-19, 06:13 PM
GreyRhino
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after my headers an Tune of course. I'll keep you guys posted for sure!!
Old 12-23-19, 06:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,146 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by DanIrl
Has anyone ever done a track day session in their 07-09 LS? I'm taking mine out for a short session to see how it handles on the small local track.

Settings:
Sport mode
Sport suspension
ECT PWR on
AC/lights etc off

Checks:
Take out the spare wheel and other junk from the trunk
Check tire pressures and torque wheel lugs.
Check oil and coolant levels.
Remove plastic engine covers?
setup gopro

I have the stock 19" 5 spoke rims and data systems controller. Could anyone advise a good height setting for best handling? I usually daily on 4F 3R. I have some Akata wheel spacers(15mm front, 20mm rear) Irecently took off due to causing a vibration I'm wondering is it better to put em back on for the track?

I know the kind of car the LS460 is and it's not supposed to be on track but I miss having a lighter track capable car so it would be good fun to see how it gets around!

Any other tips or suggestions welcomed!
Nvm, didn't read all the way through lol!