LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ran over tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 10:00 AM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ran over tire

I was on the toll and had no choice besides slowing down and running over the large remnants of a semi truck tied that had shredded. I was lucky on the fact it was minimal damage and should and could have been much worse. What are your thoughts on fixing this? World you even bother? My car is mint besides this blemish. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-18, 10:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Has it taken the paint off? If it hasn't I bet a lot of that will come off with some wiping and polishing, you could do a little light wet sanding and probably make it almost un noticeable unless it has taken chunks of paint off which I doubt it did. I would not pay to get it fixed/resprayed, I would try doing what you can yourself before trying to get it fixed, you will probably be surprised how much it will clean up.
Old 07-14-18, 11:00 AM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir took paint off. Parts of plastic ripped.
Old 07-14-18, 01:17 PM
Blkgto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
Has it taken the paint off? If it hasn't I bet a lot of that will come off with some wiping and polishing, you could do a little light wet sanding and probably make it almost un noticeable unless it has taken chunks of paint off which I doubt it did. I would not pay to get it fixed/resprayed, I would try doing what you can yourself before trying to get it fixed, you will probably be surprised how much it will clean up.
Agreed don't want to compromise factory fit and finish.
Old 07-14-18, 01:41 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Yep. Leave as is. Or do a cheap overspray just in that area.
Old 07-14-18, 07:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkgto
That is a shame mainly because you car is white so it is going to show up the most. I would just clean it up as best you can, maybe try some wet sanding and polishing and see what you have. If it still stands out too much fill in with some bondo, sand, and have a paint shop mix a urethane aerosol for your color and get some 2K clear and just spray the general area that was damaged. Since it is so low even if you don't do the greatest job it would be barely noticeable but still would look much better then having the black gouges.
Old 07-15-18, 07:07 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

IMO, white is the easiest paint color to match. Metallic white is the best. We've bought only white vehicles since 1990 when I bought my first Lexus LS. All our current vehicles are metallic white.

The damage to the OP's car looks similar to what I had when I hit a deer carcass many years ago while driving a metallic white 2000 LS400 - maybe the deer's bones were what scraped off the paint. By the time I sold that car after driving it 11 years, all panels had been repainted except for the roof and two right side doors and a number of panels had been replaced. All the paint matched perfectly and the car looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor on the day I sold it. All the collision repair work was done at a facility owned by the local Lexus dealer.

There are some really great body shops that do flawless work .... and there are also some real stinkers that look like they paint with a brush.
Old 07-15-18, 10:07 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

You definitely got off easy. Few years ago the same thing happened to me (while driving a Jetta). ~$6000 and a month later, the car was like brand new (it literally was about a year old).
Bumper cover, punctured radiator, fans destroyed, transmission cooler buh bye... It sucked.
Old 07-18-18, 06:28 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkgto
I'd start with a rubbing compound, it will pull the little stuff off to find out how bad it really is. If a lot of it's rubber, that should take it out. Once that is cleaned up, then find out how bad the damage actually is..

I use this sometimes to get rid of small surface scratches...
Old 07-18-18, 05:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts
Default !!

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I'd start with a rubbing compound,
If you want to see of you can clean any of the residue off yourself, I suggest that you instead start with a gentle "cleaner wax" that won't do damage. Use a microfiber cloth and moisten the cloth with water before you moisten the cloth with cleaner wax. If that doesn't take the residue off, only then use a more abrasive substance. I've had way too much practice doing this on my wife's cars .... finally had the front bumper cover replaced on her current car with a new one a few weeks ago due to the countless curbs she's scraped - the Lexus dealer's body shop matched the metallic white paint perfectly.

The above post reminded me that I promised a co-worker today to try to remove residue on the left side of his car from when his new wife scraped against some sort of flexible parking lot barrier last week. I just now loaded the cleaner wax and other needed materials to do this into my car. Thanks for the reminder!