LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Change motor mounts....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 10:40 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Change motor mounts....

Anyone have access to the service manual on how to change the motor/trans mounts on a 2007/2008 LS460 ?

I picked up OEM ones (2 motor and one tranny mount) and my Indy shop didn't want to just start pulling stuff apart as they were not sure how to do it. They do good work but, don't have access to the manuals.

Thanks !
Old 07-03-18, 07:12 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Dig around this link and it will help as a guide. This looks like a major major job.

​​​​​​https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/l...ing/page_2975/
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (07-06-18)
Old 07-03-18, 09:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Take a look at these.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRANS MOUNT.pdf (136.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: pdf
ENGINE MOUNT.pdf (155.9 KB, 420 views)
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (07-06-18)
Old 07-04-18, 01:27 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow, really? Sheesh... that indie shop must not be confident at all, unless you're going to an indie shop that specializes in... like... German cars or something lol. I've never heard of an indie shop turning away something as straight forward as motor mounts. I mean, you're looking at doing it yourself after referencing a 4 page PDF... I don't know if I would trust them to do much past an oil change if motor mounts scared them off
Old 07-04-18, 04:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Wow, really? Sheesh... that indie shop must not be confident at all, unless you're going to an indie shop that specializes in... like... German cars or something lol. I've never heard of an indie shop turning away something as straight forward as motor mounts. I mean, you're looking at doing it yourself after referencing a 4 page PDF... I don't know if I would trust them to do much past an oil change if motor mounts scared them off
I don't think he said they wouldn't do it, it said just they don't have a service manual (which is a bit strange actually). Most shops have Alldata or Mitchell On Demand, and the directions would definitely be in there. Most shops HAVE to have this service or else you can't fix anything.

Honeslty I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted no part of the job though...let's assume they've never done it, it's a big job, it'll tie up one of their bays longer than they'd like. They could be making money in that bay with less headaches. And let's say something's goes wrong - a possibility because they've never done the job - now they're either going to have to eat it, or charge him for it (and potentially lose him as a customer, or worse, he could go right to social media to complain). Shops are petrified of online complaints today.

The mounts on this car are a big/expensive/time consuming job. I'd turn it away if I owned the place. I'd rather have my guy's doing brakes, suspension, alignments and fluid changes. A couple check engine lights. Upsell a few things. I don't want an LS460 all apart on my lift with stuff breaking that I have to go to the dealer to get.
Old 07-04-18, 04:15 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Unless you have an easy DIY method then this job looks way too complicated IMO. If you go in the 400 forum there is a diy for EVERYTHING. Not so much in this forum. I've been under the car for multiple things but didn't pay attention to the mounts to see how complicated a job it could be.
Old 07-06-18, 07:17 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

No he didn't turn it away. I was asking for a quote for install but, I gave him the car for the day to look over something minor (hint, hint), and he showed me, he didn't want to dive into it unless he had more information.

I do a lot of work with this indy shop and eveytime they have been good, not worried about them, I would prefer for them to do this so they are not ripping apart things they are not 100% sure about.

Edit: This looks like a huge very expensive job. I noticed the car shifting a little when starting and starting to feel little bumps a lot more (even with new tires and set at 33--34psi). Was thinking this would be fairly challenging job but, not this bad. I might just hold on to them and wait but, I'll drop this info by to see what they say.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-06-18 at 07:26 AM.