LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fake Denso parts. How you can tell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 01:10 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fake Denso parts. How you can tell?

How can you tell if your Denso part is fake? Denso only put part number on plastic bag and the box, not on the sensor itself.

Denso is OEM part supplier for Toyota. Toyota owns part of the company.

Recently, I had to change a sensor because the part I had bought from Ebay gave me P2197 engine code for Bank2 Sensor 1. air fuel oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1

I ordered another one from Ebay that claims it's genuine. I put these 2 sensors side by side and noticed one has the part number on the sensor and the other one does not.

Here is the questionable ebay link. don't buy from this guy.

I called Denso at Long Beach and spoke to Steve Fett. Denso only put part number on plastic bag and the box, not on the sensor itself.
My genuine Denso part does not show part number 234-9058 on the sensor. It shows A-F063. A-F stands for air fuel. It's one of the lines from Arkansas. Steve said it's a legitimate number. The fake sensor does show the part number.

If you didn't know about this, here are other signs. My fake Denso air fuel sensor from ebay didn't come with anti-seize compound, no instruction sheet and its box had its label removed. Seller responded he received it off of an auto liquidation pallet. My genuine Denso part came with box with the label that says Denso and the part number 234-9058, gold anti-seize compound, and instruction sheet.

Denso told me their most fake products are spark plugs, O2, air/fuel sensors. Come to think about it, it's smart for Denso not to put part number on the product itself. That's where the scammer would put theirs. The scammer would have to get genuine Denso package box which adds another layer of complexity. Its why mine came without the label.

Fake sensor after 2 weeks of use. It looks old.

fake one is the left. Fake sensor shows part number 234-9058 on it.

golden anti seize compound with the genuine sensor. There is virtually no difference in look between fake and real sensor.

fake one is the left. Fake sensor shows part number 234-9058 on it. Real sensor has this weird number A F063. You can't find this weird number on Denso website.

Last edited by diamente; 06-26-18 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
str8up254 (05-26-19)
Old 06-24-18, 01:55 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

Interesting. I only order from Toyota/Lexus dealers online, never ebay.
Old 06-25-18, 05:52 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I guess it depends... The guy who has 40 feedback selling/claiming he/she is selling OEM parts....I would avoid but, power sellers, you look over their feedback over the last year(ti's an easy view). A little homework on this goes a long way here...

There is a lot of OEM dealers on eBay. so Completely skipping eBay, you could be wasting money. I've saved hundreds over the last few years just by getting stuff on ebay vs other oem dealers on line. Never an issue...
The following 3 users liked this post by DavidinCT:
02gita (06-26-18), diamente (06-26-18), str8up254 (05-26-19)
Old 06-26-18, 11:28 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Denso just replied me in e-mail with more details.

DENSO is primarily an Original Equipment Manufacturer and Supplier to many of today's vehicle and equipment manufacturers. As DENSO supplies products to our customers, they gain control of the after sales and service support of those products, and unless given permission by those customers, DENSO can not provide product /
data to the industry.

DENSO is offering Aftermarket (First Time Fit - FTF) Air Fuel Ratio & Oxygen Sensors to the industry. However, due to our corporate bylaws, DENSO is not allowed to sell product directly, thus DENSO has authorized distributors for the sale and warranty administration and or exchange consideration of our products. At this time EBay is not an authorized distributor for DENSO products, they are generally a selling agent. All that said:
  • Unfortunately, DENSO exhaust sensors & and spark plugs are being counterfeited.
  • As EBay is not an authorized distributor, DENSO can not control the products that are available.
  • Part Identification, is difficult, you will not find the DENSO FTF p/n on the actual sensor.
  • The DENSO FTF sensor should arrive in a sealed plastic bag inside of a box.
  • The DENSO FTF sensor # is on the box & sealed plastic bag.
  • If your sensor was not received in a sealed plastic bag, I would return it.
The identification makings on the actual sensor, can only be deciphered internally at DENSO. If you can provide DENSO the suspected FTF part number and any identifying numbers or marking's, we can try to authenticate your sensor.

DENSO Products & Service Americas, Inc.
Technical Services Department
For more questions please contact: 800-366-1123
The following users liked this post:
str8up254 (05-26-19)
Old 06-26-18, 11:39 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"DENSO supplies products to our customers, they gain control of the after sales and service support of those products, and unless given permission by those customers, DENSO can not provide product /
data to the industry. "

there you go. im still shopping ebay-

Rock Auto sells many "rebranded" parts that are manufactured by companies like Denso but then re labled and re packeged-

there is a good chance the seller was not telling a lie : "seller responded he received it off of an auto liquidation pallet."
Old 06-26-18, 01:43 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 02gita
"DENSO supplies products to our customers, they gain control of the after sales and service support of those products, and unless given permission by those customers, DENSO can not provide product /
data to the industry. "

there you go. im still shopping ebay-

Rock Auto sells many "rebranded" parts that are manufactured by companies like Denso but then re labled and re packeged-

there is a good chance the seller was not telling a lie : "seller responded he received it off of an auto liquidation pallet."

I thought I had put the link to the fake Denso listing in my post. Here it is fake Denso Ebay listing

If it were rebranded, it's fine. But I don't buy rebranded stuff. I stick with Denso or OEM parts. The seller claimed it was Denso but the packaging and lack of materials (anti-seize, instructions, label on box) clearly showed it was not a genuine Denso part, not to mention the part number was not in same places as in a genuine Denso part.

Last edited by diamente; 06-26-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-27-18, 07:33 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting. I recommend not buying anything from Rock Auto. I used them for the first time to order spark plugs for my 3IS, and look at the condition of the box when I opened the envelope...first and last time I'm ordering from them.
Old 06-27-18, 10:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I buy stuff from Rockauto all the time and never had an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
02gita (06-28-18), DavidinCT (09-22-21)
Old 06-28-18, 06:02 AM
02gita
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you feel the product was damage you can contact Rockauto and i am sure they will try to make it right. i echo Sha4000's comment, never had a problem.
Old 06-28-18, 07:30 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

same here, but I use eBay a lot but I make sure the sellers are an actual Toyota/Lexus seller. I have bought brakes filters etc all hem stuff with dealer receipts.

Originally Posted by Dave144239
Old 06-28-18, 09:30 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
...Interesting. I recommend not buying anything from Rock Auto. I used them for the first time to order spark plugs for my 3IS, and look at the condition of the box when I opened the envelope...first and last time I'm ordering from them.
---
That's not the experience I had with Rock Auto. They usually tended to do the opposite - over-packing the parts with a lot of protection foams, wrapping paper, and big boxes. Rock Auto recently shipped Centric brake parts in solid heavy duty boxes. Rock Auto shipped spark plugs to me in a box in the past, not in an envelope. Maybe Rock Auto has begun to cut corners with shipping materials?
----
Old 09-21-21, 04:08 PM
Cabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whole sale

Originally Posted by diamente

DENSO is primarily an Original Equipment Manufacturer and Supplier to many of today's vehicle and equipment manufacturers. As DENSO supplies products to our customers, they gain control of the after sales and service support of those products, and unless given permission by those customers, DENSO can not provide product /
data to the industry.

DENSO is offering Aftermarket (First Time Fit - FTF) Air Fuel Ratio & Oxygen Sensors to the industry. However, due to our corporate bylaws, DENSO is not allowed to sell product directly, thus DENSO has authorized distributors for the sale and warranty administration and or exchange consideration of our products. At this time EBay is not an authorized distributor for DENSO products, they are generally a selling agent. All that said:
  • Unfortunately, DENSO exhaust sensors & and spark plugs are being counterfeited.
  • As EBay is not an authorized distributor, DENSO can not control the products that are available.
  • Part Identification, is difficult, you will not find the DENSO FTF p/n on the actual sensor.
The identification makings on the actual sensor, can only be deciphered internally at DENSO. If you can provide DENSO the suspected FTF part number and any identifying numbers or marking's, we can try to authenticate your sensor.

Hello dear friends. Since getting original denso o2 is too complicated because of the knock offs i need to Buy whole sale direct from authorized distributors in Japan. I need to get the original ones. There are a lot of chinese knock offs that don't last at all.
I Really apreciate if somebody could help.
Thanks folks.

Last edited by Cabe; 09-21-21 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Miss details
Old 09-22-21, 08:10 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cabe
Hello dear friends. Since getting original denso o2 is too complicated because of the knock offs i need to Buy whole sale direct from authorized distributors in Japan. I need to get the original ones. There are a lot of chinese knock offs that don't last at all.
I Really apreciate if somebody could help.
Thanks folks.
I would contact Denso Japan and ask for list of distributors to contact. Are you going to buy that many? and why? I am just curious.

Last edited by diamente; 09-22-21 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-22-21, 09:02 AM
Cabe
Driver School Candidate

I would contact Denso Japan and ask for list of distributors to contact. Are you going to buy that many? and why? I am just curious.
Thanks My friend, i want to sell this sensors in My country since there are too Many copies and prices of denso products. So much speculation.
I want to sell genuine denso products at Best price.
Where do You think i get the Best price Japan or China since Denso has Many factories.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-21, 09:30 AM
Cabe
Driver School Candidate

Default Denso information

data to the industry.

Hello Diamente, did You call denso. Sorry to bother.
Best regards.

Last edited by Cabe; 09-28-21 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Miss words