LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom Vline 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 07:44 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
I've noticed occasionally that sound to my left front speakers will go out. Does not happen with FM, CD, etc...just with VL2. Contacted support and their only suggestion was to completely wipe the unit and start over. Anyone else seeing this?
When I installed mine the right passenger speaker would only work. I had other issues as well and decided to returned it.
Old 03-28-19, 02:48 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had that happen. All the speakers work well. But after the update, the amp is popping now upon the system starting. It didn't do that before. I wonder if it was me repositioning the wiring to tidy things up which is getting system interference now.
Old 03-28-19, 04:28 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

I guess it was the wire routing. No more pops now. But the 1 issue I have currently after the update is the bluetooth connection between my phone. It works fine w/ the mini keyboard but it'll connect w/ my phone for a quick sec then drops it. I'll open a trouble ticket w/ Grom.
Old 03-28-19, 04:55 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The amp “popping” when starting up happens to me as well
Old 03-28-19, 05:03 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

I just pulled some of my wiring out of the plastic wire holder that was holding a large car wiring harness. That seems to stop it. I have the unit sitting behind the glove box right next to the A-plr sheet metal. I just pulled off a test plug of some sort that was clipped on a metal bracket in that area so I have plenty of room back there now (left it dangling but I can zip tie it later)...but no more popping!!!
Does anyone know how to transfer files to the sd card on the unit? Either wirelessly, or through usb or the HDMI in port?
Old 03-28-19, 06:10 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=Red97tj;10478198]I just pulled some of my wiring out of the plastic wire holder that was holding a large car wiring harness. That seems to stop it.

Can you get a picture?
Old 03-28-19, 07:56 PM
Doc305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the 8.1 update, Bluetooth defaults to off every time I restart the car. Am I missing a setting or is a patch in the works?
Old 04-02-19, 02:37 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doc305
Since the 8.1 update, Bluetooth defaults to off every time I restart the car. Am I missing a setting or is a patch in the works?
My bluetooth is on all the time but it doesn't connect to the phone automatically. I thought I had an issue but it turns out my car doesn't connect automatically anymore. The car has to be connected before VL2 would connect. I'm not sure what happened but before 8.1 my phone will automatically connect to both car & VL2 (I assume) w/out any issues.

[QUOTE=Tlutrick;10478237]
Originally Posted by Red97tj
I just pulled some of my wiring out of the plastic wire holder that was holding a large car wiring harness. That seems to stop it.

Can you get a picture?
Sorry I lied...it still pops but not as bad as before. I will need to fix my glove box so I'll take some pics when I take it off again.
Old 04-03-19, 11:29 AM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one last week. Install went well, albeit with some scraped knuckles. Sound is good, app install went as planned but CarPlay doesn't work. I pressed the icon 11 times and it did work for a day then stopped. I use Amazon Music at home and streaming to the factory radio but it operates independently of the Android OS so if I am using Google maps or Waze, it will talk over the music without dropping the music volume. But the BIG reason I am sending it back is, according to GROM, Apple iPhones need to be manually added as a hotspot each time the radio starts up and I found it to take between 4-6 minutes for the VLine2 to find my iPhone Xs Max. At this point, it is just not worth the effort.
Old 04-03-19, 12:58 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

That's too bad. I have to remove mine before I take it in to do the ZLD glove box replacement, so I'll be trying to figure out where to place it temporarily
Old 04-03-19, 02:04 PM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It fit nicely behind the footwell carpet under the glovebox.
Old 04-04-19, 12:55 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by peteyx
I bought one last week. Install went well, albeit with some scraped knuckles. Sound is good, app install went as planned but CarPlay doesn't work. I pressed the icon 11 times and it did work for a day then stopped. I use Amazon Music at home and streaming to the factory radio but it operates independently of the Android OS so if I am using Google maps or Waze, it will talk over the music without dropping the music volume. But the BIG reason I am sending it back is, according to GROM, Apple iPhones need to be manually added as a hotspot each time the radio starts up and I found it to take between 4-6 minutes for the VLine2 to find my iPhone Xs Max. At this point, it is just not worth the effort.
Any chance you changed something up on your carplay setup? I know it only works on 1 of the USB outputs and I've had a few issues with cables causing problems (a bend that causes a quick break in connection that requires you to unplug and plug back in). I'm on 5.1, not 8.1 so don't have experience with the new OS, but CarPlay works mostly without issue. Have you downloaded the latest OTA?

Thinking more - I have had a few occasions where the carplay icon lights up green for a few seconds, then goes gray again. Sometimes it requires a restart of my iphone, sometimes a restart of the vline and then things are back to normal. The hotspot thing seems strange, too. Mine connects right away on 5.1. Thinking the BS move they charge for the 8.1 upgrade card is a blessing in disguise.
Old 04-17-19, 04:18 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

[QUOTE=Red97tj;10482024]My bluetooth is on all the time but it doesn't connect to the phone automatically. I thought I had an issue but it turns out my car doesn't connect automatically anymore. The car has to be connected before VL2 would connect. I'm not sure what happened but before 8.1 my phone will automatically connect to both car & VL2 (I assume) w/out any issues.

Originally Posted by Tlutrick

Sorry I lied...it still pops but not as bad as before. I will need to fix my glove box so I'll take some pics when I take it off again.
Finally got my glovebox off & took some pics:

Here's where I have the VL2 module mounted behind the glove box. The glove box hinge goes between it & the car module to the left of it. It doesn't really roll around or make any noise.

I had to remove this test plug & let it dangle which gave room for the VL2 module to be in that area shown in 1st pic.

For a bit of time, I had some of the VL2 wiring running inside that main wire harness which made a real bad popping noise at car start.

So far I haven't had any major issues. Now if I can only transfer data to my microsd either through USB or wirelessly,..
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (04-18-19)
Old 04-18-19, 07:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I am having trouble understanding how a company can sell these products and get away with it. I mean, the issues that are being experienced are borderline criminal. It seems fraudulent to advertise something to DO something and then not have it perform to that advertised level. Factor in the more than average skill set to INSTALL it, and I'd be furious. I hope you guys get it sorted out.
Old 04-18-19, 08:44 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got mine in the glove compartment so that when I inevitably need to restart it, I have ready access to the unit. They recommend putting it someplace you can easily access it, and I second that recommendation.

Quick Reply: Grom Vline 2