LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Programming Homelink for Genie

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 06:02 PM
jldodge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Homelink for Genie

I just bought the LS460 ... great car. I am unable to program the Homelink for the Genie garage door openers. I have successfully programmed the 1999GS300, 2002 LS430, and a 2004 IS250 for the same garage door openers without any problem.

Since they are rolling codes, I had to use the "learning" button on the motor assembly to do the programming.

For some reason, the LS460 won't take the learning. I have reset (two outside buttons) numerous times; tried 2 then 3 quick depression-release sequences; and tried 2 and 3 depression-release sequences holding the buttons for 1-2 seconds before releasing. Needless to say I am frustrated.

Has anyone had any experience they can share? Are there other options I can try? Is there a "glitch" with the instructions or the car itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...
Old 02-25-07, 07:02 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem. Until I tried the option for "No Rolling code" it would not work. So, here is what you do...
Use option 1 as if you do not have the rolling code and once you verify that it does not work, try the Rolling Code option and it will work. I hope this makes sense.

Good luck
Dmitry
Old 02-25-07, 07:31 PM
jldodge
Driver School Candidate

Default Programming Homelink for Genie

I neglected to state that I also tried the remote held 1-3 inches from the buttons. Since it did not work, I also confirmed that there is a rolling code which caused me to use the "learning" process with the garage door opener.

After searching this forum, I'm beginning to believe that its a bit of hit-and-miss and you just keep trying until it works. Strange given all the other computer logic/ciruitry in the car. This should not be that difficult and since I have had 3 other Lexus cars that were programmed fairly easily, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the settings on my car.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks again ...
Old 02-25-07, 08:21 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

agreed.. took me like 25 tries to get mine to work..
and i think i held it for like 2 minutes!
Old 02-26-07, 08:00 AM
Barrynsh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jldodge
For some reason, the LS460 won't take the learning. I have reset (two outside buttons) numerous times; tried 2 then 3 quick depression-release sequences; and tried 2 and 3 depression-release sequences holding the buttons for 1-2 seconds before releasing. Needless to say I am frustrated.

Thanks in advance ...
When you have rolling codes it is a 2 part operation. First you have link the remote to the homelink on the car. The blinking light signals work just as stated in the manual but it might take longer than you think. After that, you have to teach the garage door opener by following the "Rolling Code" section. The car has to be close enough so the garage door can read the signal from the car......BUT NOT UNDER THE GARAGE DOOR (sure this doesn't have to be said but doesn't hurt as much as a caved in roof).
Old 03-08-07, 04:46 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default To Program Home Link

You must have the engine running. I couldn't get it to take my code until I tried it with the engine running. Once it did that, it took the code in a few seconds. I also called the dealer and they had no clue. I called them back with the info.

Hope this helps...

Craig
Old 03-08-07, 06:17 PM
ikey78
Driver

If the problem is getting the car to learn the garage opener code from the remote, ie the initial programming step, try putting the opener into the sunglasses holder while doing the initial learning. I heard from a dealer that this helps.
Old 03-09-07, 08:26 AM
mcalbala
Driver School Candidate

I programmed the LS460L to a Genie with rolling codes, the trick which was not clear was to first set up the remote to the car then set up the car to the garage door opener

Mark
Old 04-09-07, 02:18 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting solutions. My garage door opener is a newer Chamberlain rolling code system; the kind Home Depot sells. I was beginning to think I would have to put up owning the 460 with no Homelink, or have to change the opener altogether. Not that this would have been a great inconvenience, but we're paying for this feature, so it should work. I didn't have trouble when linking Acuras in the past, so I will try your suggestions, and let you know my results.

At the very least, it's comforting to know I'm not alone...
Old 04-09-07, 03:50 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I also have a Chamberlain rolling code. Did you try it with the engine running?
I couldn't get it to take the code with the key on or off. Once I started the engine, it took the code in a few seconds. I did hold down the 1&3 buttons before programming it to clear it out. Hold your opener up near the buttons and press what button you want and your opener at the same time. After that, go in and hit the smart button. The lights
should flash in the garage and you should be good to go. Push your button in your car and it should work. When it takes the code, the red light in the car should flash fast.

Good luck, the dealer had no clue, but did offer to send someone over to my house to program it. I only live 110 miles each way from the dealer, so it was a nice offer...

Craig
Old 04-10-07, 10:21 AM
dssxxxx
Driver School Candidate

Same garage system.

My LS460 used the remote, held 3 inches away. Could not get it to work with the rolling method (even though my garage doors are rolling).

On Saturday, bought the wife 2008 RX. Would not work with the remote, but using the rolling method, took immediately.
Old 04-10-07, 02:01 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The following uses a Chamberlain (Sears Craftsman) rolling code opener; it may also apply to other RCOs as well. The Lexus and Chamberlain directions "separately" are ambiguous and self-serving, so these instructions merely marry the two:

There are two important sequences to follow in this procedure:

1. Pairing the car's Homelink system with the door opener's handheld remote, and...

2. Pairing the door opener with the car. It is important to perform both.

Before starting, set up a ladder to gain access to the "Learn" button on the garage door opener. No need to depress the button at this time. Also make sure the car does not obstruct the passage of the garage door, as it may be activated during this procedure. Keep children animals or other obstructions clear of the moving door's path. To avoid activating the door when pairing the handheld remote to the Homelink, pair the two a block away from your garage.

SEQUENCE I

1. No need to have engine running. Homelink is always active on Lexus cars.

2. Clear/reset the Lexus Homelink by depressing buttons 1 & 3 for 20 seconds.

3. Hold the Chamberlain remote within three inches from the LS Homelink keypad.

4. Depress and hold the desired Homelink button 1, 2 or 3. LED turns on steadily.

5. Depress and hold the Chamberlain remote keypad until the Homelink LED begins to flash rapidly. Release both.

SEQUENCE II

6. Exit car and access the door opener's "Learn" button. Briefly depress the "Learn" button until its LED turns on.

7. Within the allotted 30 second period, return to the car and depress the chosen keypad button briefly one time.

The opener's lights will flash confirming the pairing of the garage door opener, and the car's Homelink.

Test the operation the Homelink. You're done!

Last edited by Johnny; 04-23-10 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Exec (09-02-18)
Old 04-10-07, 02:01 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was easy for me, I just pressed the "learn" button on the actual garage door motor, went back to the car and pressed the "1" button. I did that of course after pressing the old garage door remote's button close to the "1" button on the car. The car did get the code and was set in less than 5 minutes.
Old 11-02-12, 09:52 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't seem to get my Genie to program with my Homelink. I'm trying to program the remote to the 3rd button but all it does is flash steadily. Doesn't start flash rapidly like my first 2. I've tried clearing out the memory twice already. I can program my 2 other fine but they aren't rolling code. When I try to program the Homelink with my Genie, its supposed to start flashing rapidly as with the other two?
Old 11-02-12, 10:04 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
I can't seem to get my Genie to program with my Homelink. I'm trying to program the remote to the 3rd button but all it does is flash steadily. Doesn't start flash rapidly like my first 2. I've tried clearing out the memory twice already. I can program my 2 other fine but they aren't rolling code. When I try to program the Homelink with my Genie, its supposed to start flashing rapidly as with the other two?
Try holding your handheld garage-door-opener a little farther away from the HomeLink when you are doing the setup, like half way down the windshield. If that doesn't work then let us know, I am sure some of our gurus can help you.

Quick Reply: Programming Homelink for Genie