LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Goodbye folks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 04:56 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Goodbye folks

Traded my beloved 460 in yesterday for a 2018 Chevy Silverado, it was a deal I just couldn't pass up...sticker was $45,000, they dropped the price to "their special price of $40,000". Then I took advantage of $7,500 in rebates. Next was the trade haggle...they said these things are only bringing around $5,000 at the auction and that my car has a few problems. Ended up walking out the door paying $25,000 plus $298 documentation fee.

The car did start developing some issues and it came to a point where I was either going to sink $3,000 into an eleven year old car with 176,000 miles (and then wait for the next thing to break, because that's what happens when cars reach that age and mileage).

The car needed front struts (after replacing almost every bushing up front the car still sounded like crap going over bumps...struts were the only thing left). The brake actuator started acting up (finally) making loud noises every time I came to a stop. The interior arm rests were ruined. It needed tires. Oh and I hit a turkey doing 75 on rt. 93...damn thing took my passenger mirror off...lucky I wasn't killed...the thing ran right across the highway and caught me by surprise before I could even react. And lastly the car has just started to use oil - lots of oil - went through four quarts during my last oil change. Looked inside the intake manifold and the thing is just pooled with oil in there...getting through the PCV valve system. Probably worn rings that I could have combated with a heavier weight oil and shorter oil change intervals, but honestly I never really went long between changes to begin with and I always used a high quality synthetic (kind of bummed that happened).

But a great car overall, I have no doubt I could have squeezed another 100,000 miles out of it with a little bit of effort. The car still looks and drives fantastic. I'm really going to miss her, she treated me very well. I don't think I've ever received more compliments on a car in my life.

I'll miss all the solid contributors around here who have helped me out through the years. Loved all the debates...can't tell you how many times I came here to read about high mileage stories, or read up on a tutorial on how to access something or reset a light. Great advice over the years that saved me a lot of time and effort. I never had to take this car to the dealer for a repair in all the years I owned it. And this thing never threw one single check engine light in its entire lifetime, truly amazing for a car in today's world. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-18, 06:03 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats on your new truck and a deal that would be hard to pass up in your situation. Out with the old LS and in with the new truck. So drive and enjoy all the benefits of owning a new truck. I've enjoyed reading your posts and comments over the years. Farewell.
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 07:11 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I wish you all the best!

Pickups aren't anything like they were, just 30 years ago. Wait...that's longer than I thought!
Old 04-15-18, 07:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 400 Likes on 272 Posts

How about some pics in the general forum (car chat) so we can see the new Silverado? I've always loved that pickup and the new ones are really nice looking and well-equipped. Hope it treats you as well as the LS did.
Old 04-15-18, 07:33 AM
altoreid
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy your new truck !
The support and information on Club Lexus sold me on buying a LS.
No regrets. Thank you !.

I am sadden to read about this toyota engine turns into an oil burner.
For an engine that hardly needs to turn 2k rpms to get the job, this shouldn't
be happening. Any insights on this subject and what you might have done differently to
combat this problem ?
  1. Used Conventional oil instead of Synthetic oil ?
  2. Used 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 or 5w-20 ?
  3. Shorten OCI to 3k and just use conventional oil ?
  4. Replace oil filter and add oil at mid OCI
  5. Use a name brand engine flush at every oil change ?

Thank you.
Old 04-15-18, 08:06 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Condolences on the LS..... Congratulations on the Silverado

BTW! See you over at www.silveradosierra.com
Doublebase (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 08:47 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with your decision. It was time for the LS to go considering your problems with it. It was a pleasure spending much keyboard time with you. Enjoy your new truck.
Old 04-15-18, 12:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I agree with your decision. It was time for the LS to go considering your problems with it. It was a pleasure spending much keyboard time with you. Enjoy your new truck.
Take care of yourself Kenny, always enjoyed your contributions here.

Loved the car but being a former tech I've learned when it's a good time to cut bait. It was that time simply because I know how much Lexus parts cost, if say I had done all the necessary repairs and THEN let's say the electric vvti motor broke?? I'd be kicking myself for holding on to it. But I loved this car, it wasn't easy.

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-15-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 01:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by altoreid
Enjoy your new truck !
The support and information on Club Lexus sold me on buying a LS.
No regrets. Thank you !.

I am sadden to read about this toyota engine turns into an oil burner.
For an engine that hardly needs to turn 2k rpms to get the job, this shouldn't
be happening. Any insights on this subject and what you might have done differently to
combat this problem ?
  1. Used Conventional oil instead of Synthetic oil ?
  2. Used 5w-30 instead of 0w-20 or 5w-20 ?
  3. Shorten OCI to 3k and just use conventional oil ?
  4. Replace oil filter and add oil at mid OCI
  5. Use a name brand engine flush at every oil change ?

Thank you.
Yeah I came up with a few things I was about to try before trading it in...one of which I did on Tuesday (before realizing I would be trading it in), was move to 5w30 synthetic. I also was planning on adding a quart of Lucas oil treatment - I've heard that has helped many with oil consumption - so I was willing to give that a try. The other thing I was going to try was cutting down my intervals to 4,000 miles. And lastly I was planning on installing an oil catch can.

But I can't stress enough how well this car still ran and drove. The engine was smooth, powerful, quick and trouble free. No smoke or misfires...still great fuel economy. I wasn't overly concerned with the oil consumption simply because of the way it still was running, plus I've seen many oil burners last a long long time.

These are great cars.
Old 04-15-18, 01:03 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

Doublebase

Sorry to see you go. I always enjoyed your posts. Take care and stay safe.

Dennis
Doublebase (04-15-18)
Old 04-15-18, 01:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
How about some pics in the general forum (car chat) so we can see the new Silverado? I've always loved that pickup and the new ones are really nice looking and well-equipped. Hope it treats you as well as the LS did.

I'm planning on buying some 20 inch black rims, putting on some running boards and mud flaps. Should dress it up a little. Might replace the Chevy bow tie emblems with black ones. Need a bed liner and cover too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
DavidinCT (04-16-18), dlbuckls10 (04-16-18)
Old 04-15-18, 01:13 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Yeah I came up with a few things I was about to try before trading it in...one of which I did on Tuesday (before realizing I would be trading it in), was move to 5w30 synthetic. I also was planning on adding a quart of Lucas oil treatment - I've heard that has helped many with oil consumption - so I was willing to give that a try. The other thing I was going to try was cutting down my intervals to 4,000 miles. And lastly I was planning on installing an oil catch can.

But I can't stress enough how well this car still ran and drove. The engine was smooth, powerful, quick and trouble free. No smoke or misfires...still great fuel economy. I wasn't overly concerned with the oil consumption simply because of the way it still was running, plus I've seen many oil burners last a long long time.

These are great cars.
Congrats on the truck. Dont worry about the catch can I am trying to install a custom setup . My 07 LS is at 186000 Miles Fully loaded the only issues were air suspension needed replacement ,the ML amp,high oil consumption and basic maintenance (like new bushings, eng and trans mount etc.. ). I am stacking spare parts(rad fans , water pump kit thermostat,) that are sourced directly from japan. I have a 2014 engine on stand by just in case if my 07 engine died. So for me i can go 300000 miles more.
Old 04-15-18, 02:04 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You can always stick around. You have a treasure trove of valuable info despite not owning the car....
Old 04-15-18, 06:18 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 331 Posts

Congrats on the new truck and I wish you good luck with it.

Sorry to see you go, but you can always chime in any time.

Let us know if you have any wind noise issues!
Old 04-15-18, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Nothing lasts forever, sounds like it was time.

I ahree wih with everybody else, stick around!
Doublebase (04-16-18)

Quick Reply: Goodbye folks