LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 Transmission whine and clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 07:36 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2014 Transmission whine and clunk

New to me 2014 LS 460 F Sport (CPO - 25K miles)
On my cross country drive from East coast to California - two things became apparent.

1 - Transmission whine
I found the posts about it - and have the TSB describing a remedy.
My question is...

The whine is evident at all speeds under load. the TSB is specific to 0-40 mph.
Mine is whining at higher speeds as well . under load you can hear it.
(Like one of the posts put it - I heard it and now I can't un-hear it!)

And....

On two occasions on my trip back (I've had the car for a week...) when decelerating (coasting / braking) from freeway cruising speeds onto an off ramp - there was a hard clunk / knock - very evident as the tranny downshifted.

It was NOT subtle at all.

I can't reproduce the problem - so I'm reaching out and trying to see if this is something others have had to deal with.

Thanks ahead of time.!
Old 02-02-18, 08:28 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
New to me 2014 LS 460 F Sport (CPO - 25K miles)
On my cross country drive from East coast to California - two things became apparent.

1 - Transmission whine
I found the posts about it - and have the TSB describing a remedy.
My question is...

The whine is evident at all speeds under load. the TSB is specific to 0-40 mph.
Mine is whining at higher speeds as well . under load you can hear it.
(Like one of the posts put it - I heard it and now I can't un-hear it!)

And....

On two occasions on my trip back (I've had the car for a week...) when decelerating (coasting / braking) from freeway cruising speeds onto an off ramp - there was a hard clunk / knock - very evident as the tranny downshifted.

It was NOT subtle at all.

I can't reproduce the problem - so I'm reaching out and trying to see if this is something others have had to deal with.

Thanks ahead of time.!
When I test drove our 2013 last year I recall making a mental note of possible transmission whine but I was hypersensitive about every detail of the car to make sure nothing was wrong before we purchased the LS. I am not saying you're being overly sensitive, just sharing that I initially commented on a whine too. However, I have never noticed the whine again after that initial test drive. What you are describing sounds like behavior that is obvious and distracting while driving. What has the dealership done so far to diagnose the problem with your CPO LS?
Old 02-02-18, 09:31 PM
xfea
Intermediate

I've only had the car for about a week - picked it up in Florida and drove back to California - so I haven't taken it to my dealer yet.

As for the whine - I noticed it the third day - I was passenger - had unbuckle the seatbelt to lean down and pick something up when at a stop - when we accelerated .... OMG! It sounded like a jet turbine!

I really was taken aback. - Far more noticable when you bring your ear down to the center column.
Once I had that frequency in my brain - I heard it ALL THE TIME!

And I can distinctly hear it at higher speeds when under load - accelerating.
It is harder to hear with the added ambient noise at speed - but it be there.

It's the hard clunk while slowing / breaking / down shifting that I am really curious about - whether others have had the same hard noise.
Old 02-02-18, 09:33 PM
xfea
Intermediate

My 2013 was grey on grey - nice combo - but I DO like the flaxen we both have.!
Old 02-03-18, 04:44 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I cant say I've heard more than two occasions where people have complained about a tranny pump whine. I will say that there are lots of cars driving around that have it and it doesn't really damage anything. But if you can hear it, I can see why it would bother you.

Personally id just sell the car, you hear it, it bothers you. Let's say they replace the tranny under warranty, are you going to hear it again? Like you said you've become kind of sensitive to it, you heard it when your ear was down low to the floor. Now you hear it all the time. You'll probably hear a little something with a new unit because you're so intune with it. As for the clunk, I've heard it occasionally while braking, but honestly I don't hear much with these cars because they are so well sound insulated. Can't hear much of anything. You'll notice a ticking sound coming from the engine, it's the direct injection, I can't hear it because of the insulation but I can hear it when I'm outside of the car.

Id have it looked at by the dealer, if they say it's normal and it bothers you id get rid of it. I think with these cars they are so quiet that when you do hear something it can be more noticeable than with other cars. Like I'll get into other cars and all of the sudden I can hear everything, it's crazy. I'll hear the tires, the engine, the suspension, the tranny, the road. It all comes right into the cabin so it kind of becomes normal, you are accustomed to it. With the LS you hear nothing, so when you hear something? It becomes annoying.
Old 02-03-18, 04:45 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Just curious, how did you come to conclusion its transmission whine?.

Did you check the wheel bearing for noise?.

Is yours AWD?. Most likely you car is still under original factory warranty. I would take it to dealer .......
Old 02-03-18, 08:46 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by satiger
Just curious, how did you come to conclusion its transmission whine?.

Did you check the wheel bearing for noise?.

Is yours AWD?. Most likely you car is still under original factory warranty. I would take it to dealer .......

Thanks for the suggestion - I am nearly certain (99%) it is not wheel noise but transmission -
It is RWD and under original warranty until 10 / 18...also it is CPO
I'll be taking into my dealer soon.
Old 02-03-18, 09:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

There's a TSB for the transmission whine (2013-2015). It involves replacing the engine/transmission mount/isolator. Take it to the dealer and ask them about this. Have them check out any rough shifting while its there.

Note that TSBs are performed under the original 4/50 warranty only - NOT the CPO or any extended Lexus warranty.
The following users liked this post:
xfea (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 10:07 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
Thanks for the suggestion - I am nearly certain (99%) it is not wheel noise but transmission -
It is RWD and under original warranty until 10 / 18...also it is CPO
I'll be taking into my dealer soon.

Update us when you hear something. I just picked up a 2013 Fsport and one thing i noticed is it is definitely more noisy than non-F-Sport cars. I kinda figured that was normal since they put the intake resonators on them and whatnot. Frankly I kinda like it, but if its not supposed to make that noise I would probably want to do something about it.
Old 02-03-18, 10:34 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
There's a TSB for the transmission whine (2013-2015). It involves replacing the engine/transmission mount/isolator. Take it to the dealer and ask them about this. Have them check out any rough shifting while its there.

Note that TSBs are performed under the original 4/50 warranty only - NOT the CPO or any extended Lexus warranty.

That is GOOD to know!
Many Thanks!
Old 02-05-18, 12:35 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, normally, but this TSB is specifically covered under the 70,000-Mile Power Train warranty.
Old 02-07-18, 02:07 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SatComm302

Yes, normally, but this TSB is specifically covered under the 70,000-Mile Power Train warranty.

Humm...you make it sound like only this TSB would be covered...how to know?
Old 06-18-18, 12:47 PM
saipphire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi XFEA
I am experiencing the same problem on my 2014 RWD 460 and told the dealer about it at my first CPO service. They said they hooked the tranny up to the computer and everything was normal. I just now found the TSB, and your post, so I was wondering if you could give a quick update on your repair experience.
Thanks
Old 06-20-18, 07:01 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

On my 2014, the TSB fix reduced the whine but didn't get rid of it completely. I don't see why it would show up on their computer - maybe the have bluetooth-connected bionic hearing?
Old 06-21-18, 10:56 AM
saipphire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking No way they have that!

maybe the have bluetooth-connected bionic hearing?
Lexus definitely doesn't have that... you know they're about 5 years behind on in-car technology (no digital speed-o, really!?!) lol. But I don't want to digress into that discussion.
Thanks so much for your reply Keith. I'd really like to hear people's experience on this Tranny issue, because RNR ;-) —Ride, Noise, and Reliability— are the real reasons we went with Lexus (not bells and whistles and gadgets). I would like to know what to expect and how to deal with my service rep when I go in for my 65k service in a week or 2.

Last edited by saipphire; 06-21-18 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot to thank poster

Quick Reply: 2014 Transmission whine and clunk