LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 Trunk Power Lift motor failure !

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 04:44 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Red face 08 Trunk Power Lift motor failure !

I know this is a very common problem on these LS ! But i have to double check with you guys to make sure so i can get the right part.
- No beeps when i press Open/Close button in car and trunk won't open
- No beeps when i press Close button on the trunk lid and trunk won't close itself.
- I tried the key and it worked fine, it was pretty smooth acutally.
So i took out the motor assembly and took out the motor, i notice the motor does rotate but it was rotate in the jerking motion. I have a video to show you guys, please tell me the motor isn't suppose to turn like that ??
Thank you everyone ! Have a good weekend !
Old 01-21-18, 07:49 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

I believe I am correct in telling you that there is no "beep" associated with operation of the trunk open switch on the dash. And, I don't believe there is a beep associated with operation of the trunk close button on the lip of the trunk. You should check the trunk valet-disable switch in the glove compartment to be sure that the trunk open feature is not disable.

The beeper (sounder) is located outside the car, near the left front wheel well and gives audible feedback for wireless remote key operations. The volume of the beeper is adjustable, and can be silenced, by a control that is under the dash near the drivers right knee. If you need some assistance I can point you to information on the volume adjust ****.

As to opening the trunk and the beeper: I believe I am correct in telling you that opening the trunk by pressing the trunk button on the wireless remote key and opening the trunk by pressing the open button that is located under the trunk, with the wireless key on your person, will cause the beeper to sound, if it is not silenced.

I believe that the pulsed motor operation is likely normal - lots of innovation in motor technology is emerging.
Old 01-21-18, 09:18 AM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Yeah i checked everything. The valet button was in normal position ! I been locking that compartment for years haven't touch it since last year.
I would go and check again on the latch assembly to see if it has anything to do with this !
I can't either open or close using the buttons or the keyfob. But i can manually insert the key blade and get it open and lift the trunk up by hand. I could feel there is absolutely no resistance between the gears and the motor if the motor actually works !
My question right now is could it be the latch assembly went bad and it can stop the trunk from being open and close by the motor ?

Thanks
Old 01-21-18, 09:49 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I could feel there is absolutely no resistance between the gears and the motor if the motor actually works !

There is no resistance when the motor disengages, totally normal.
Old 01-21-18, 02:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I know this is a very common problem on these LS !
Honestly, that's news to me....and I've been a member here for 4 years.
Old 01-21-18, 03:05 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I'm with him ^^^^^^^^^, I've never run across this.
Old 01-21-18, 03:31 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Oh crap really ? My bad then. I was assuming because all 4 of my dad' friends who had these ran across this problem as well. My bad. Anyway i will check the latch assembly tomorrow after work. Hopefully i can figure something out !
Thanks for all the replies guys !
Old 01-21-18, 05:04 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking about it, and with the fob in my pocket, opening is one beep if I open with the remote, I get two warning beeps when I press the close button in the trunk. I don't know about the in-cabin button, but I'm headed down to it in about three minutes, so I'll check.

I hate to be that guy, but didja check the fuse?
The following users liked this post:
Nguyenazn (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 05:42 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

mckellyb You made me feel so dumb and the bad thing is im actually dumb enough to forget to check the fuse ! Where id the fuse located anyway ? I will check tomorrow after work. I totally forgot about the fuse cuz i had my other bimmer with the power steering fluid is leaking all over the floor ! I was very frustrating at the moment and can you imagine i work 12-14 hours per day and 7 days a week !
But anyways, thanks guys for the heads up man !
Old 01-21-18, 05:52 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Nevermind, i ran outside and check the fuse on the rear that marked as PTL 30A and the fuse was fine !
Old 01-22-18, 04:54 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm.

Also, don't feel dumb. It's super-easy to overlook the stuff which rarely is a problem.

Well, I can tell you using the interior button, no beep, it just opens.

Does your power pull-down work? Y'know, like the doors.
Old 01-22-18, 01:35 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Nah, none of the buttons work bro! Can't close or open with any buttons . I had to use the blade key and twist it open and lift up the trunk manually !
Old 01-22-18, 06:49 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

I took out the latch assembly and the plastic position arm was broken ! Tried to put it back but no luck !
Old 01-23-18, 10:42 AM
bob3636
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similiar problem on christmas day when the trunk would not open when it was full of christmas presents. I was not aware of the key access and used a stick to push the emergency trunk excape lever .
In my case if I disconnected the battery the trunk would open one time. I ordered a latch assemebly from JDM in Japan for $270. I have been traveling and have not had time to install.
Old 01-23-18, 02:40 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

I already ordered a new oem latch assembly from Japan for 290 dollars ! Not a bad price though ! i will install it when it gets here and hopefully i will fix the problem !

Quick Reply: 08 Trunk Power Lift motor failure !