LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Side Sunshade Not Working (One Side Only)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 01:55 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Power Side Sunshade Not Working (One Side Only)

I recently purchased a 2013 460L with 18,900 miles on it. This car has the ultra luxury package. The left rear power sunshade will not go up, it worked fine the last time I tried it. The other side and the rear sunshade works perfectly fine. Any ideas? Do you think that particular side sunshade is stuck or something else? I cannot bring it to the dealer as the warranty expired about two months ago. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 01-11-18, 03:24 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hello mbarron,

Congrats on your recent purchase. It sounds like a great car with less than 20K miles. It's surprising that one of the rear shades is not working on this gently used vehicle. It's too bad that the new car warranty expired recently, and that you don't have an extended warranty.

When you activate the switch, do you hear the mechanism working? If it is working, then maybe something is stuck that prevents the shade from coming out. Maybe something dropped in thru the open door panel that the shade comes out of.

When you turn on the switch, does the panel open on the door to allow the shade to come out? It's quite possible that the panel-opening and shade-raising mechanisms are mechanically connected, so if the shade cannot move up for whatever reason, the panel may not open either. But it's good to check.

The sunshade mechanism should be relatively easy to fix by a competent mechanic. Here's a youtube link for how to remove the rear door panel on a 460 without the rear sunshade, but this should give you some idea on how to check for problems inside the door. If you are not mechanically inclined, take the car to a good indy shop. I think this should be a relatively cheap fix. Good luck!

Last edited by comotiger; 01-11-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 04:42 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks. I went back out to the car and pushed the button in the front and the back and nothing happened. I then moved that window down and back up and tried it again and the sunshade worked! No clue what the problem might have been, but it works from the front and back buttons. Maybe the window was a hair down, which won't allow the sunshade to operate? The window looked all the way up, but who knows. At least its working and I am happy again. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-11-18, 04:58 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Thanks. I went back out to the car and pushed the button in the front and the back and nothing happened. I then moved that window down and back up and tried it again and the sunshade worked! No clue what the problem might have been, but it works from the front and back buttons. Maybe the window was a hair down, which won't allow the sunshade to operate? The window looked all the way up, but who knows. At least its working and I am happy again. Thanks for the response.
Bet that was a relief and I'm glad you solved your problem.
Old 01-11-18, 06:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Come to think of it, this is exactly what happened in my car sometime back. I forgot all about it until I read your note! If the window is not rolled all the way up the sunshade will not operate. In fact if the sunshade is up and you try to roll the window down, the sunshade will retract completely. Simple thing, really. I just forgot Cheapest fix ever!!
Old 02-23-18, 11:03 AM
KarlJ828
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to remove the rear door panel on an LS 460 with the rear door power shades? I removed the rear door panel on my 2007 without power shades, but on my newer LS with rear door shades, it looks like it may be tricky. I don't want to get into it and find that I've started down a path I would have rather not attempted! Thanks, ahead of time! Thanks, ahead of time, for any help!
Old 03-10-18, 09:16 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts
Smile

Maybe the window was a hair down, which won't allow the sunshade to operate? The window looked all the way up, but who knows.
Wow! That is it.
I was about to pass the car today due to one of the window shades not going up but I still went ahead and bought it.
Lo behold, I search the forum and find this thread to fix the problem for free. Thanks!
Old 03-24-18, 10:32 AM
edinburger
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear left Door would not lock or unlock using key fob or keyless or using lock / unlock button on drivers arm.
Soft power auto closure not working
sun shade is not going up or down
But window goes up n down.
feels like there is no power but window works ok, but why all other functions related to door have stopped working. ?
Old 03-25-18, 12:51 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by edinburger
Rear left Door would not lock or unlock using key fob or keyless or using lock / unlock button on drivers arm.
Soft power auto closure not working
sun shade is not going up or down
But window goes up n down.
feels like there is no power but window works ok, but why all other functions related to door have stopped working. ?
Most probably your door lock actuator DC motor has gone out.
First make sure all fuses are ok.
Then you have few options for fixing door lock actuator problem.
1. At Lexus dealer where they only replace the whole assembly. Cost I read from other threads is $1500
2. Source the remanufactured actuator from eBay or other places for about $50. Have it replaced by Indy or DIY.
3. Source aftermarket new part for about $250 or so. Have it replaced by Indy or DIY.
4. Get a DC motor for $6 and replace it yourself in about 2 hours. You will have to disassemble the door, pry open actuator assembly, and replace the motor.

I have no experience on LS460 but have done it twice on LS430 with soft auto power closure. 4th option would be my own choice.
Old 08-27-23, 11:21 AM
jholder
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys saved me!!! It was my window slightly open. Whew!! Knew a Lexus wouldn’t have an issue.