LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

No Android integration/screen mirroring option for 2013 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 08:56 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default No Android integration/screen mirroring option for 2013 LS?

I can't believe there is no aftermarket option out there for Android integration or screen mirroring for a 2013+ LS! I just want to be able to use Google maps on that beautiful 12 inch screen! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-06-18, 10:57 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi mbbarron,

You will be pleased to know that there are indeed products for mirroring your smartphone to the Nav screen. I installed a Beatsonic kit last year. It works with iOS and Android OS.
Here's the link to my thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nt-camera.html

Here's the link to the Beatsonic kit:
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

Here's what the mirroring looks like.
Home screen. With iPhone 7 Plus, the home screen will rotate but not for earlier models.

Google Maps looks gorgeous. Plus all directions come thru sound system.
Old 01-06-18, 11:08 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

YAY! So how well does it work? Is it buggy? Difficult to operate with the remote touch interface?

Anyone else have this installed and using with an Android phone?
Old 01-06-18, 11:21 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I love it. It's not buggy. Works perfectly every time. This is a passive mirroring kit, so you have to manipulate the icons and open apps on the smartphone screen. You can jailbreak a BT mouse to manipulate apps on the Nav screen, but the car's RTC will not work for this purpose. I have explained all this in my thread.

For a different mirroring solution, you should consider the GROM or Vaistech kit, but they have their own issues. Or use Lexus Enform app suite, but with Enform, you cannot use Google Maps. Please read my thread (and other links provided there) for details.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-06-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 11:34 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

comotiger Thanks for the feedback. I just read through your post (very detailed and nicely done) and am really bummed about not being able to use the car's RTC mouse. I was also hoping to be able to use voice commands from the car steering wheel as I'd like to be able to give voice commands without touching my phone. I guess I would still be able to do this using Google NOW, as it's MUCH better than Siri in voice recognition. But I was really hoping for a better option like the Grom VLine with more advanced integration (however, I understand that is buggy with updates). No perfect option exists I guess. Glad to know there is some option out there though.

One more question: How is rear view camera affected? Do you need to switch input back to get camera view? Was hoping to be able to set a destination with voice command and then pull out of parking space with out maneuvering inputs back and forth.
Old 01-06-18, 11:49 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Rear camera is not affected in any way. It functions exactly the same, just like if you were listening to the radio and put the car in reverse, then back to drive. When the smartphone is mirrored using the AV input, the phone's home screen is automatically replaced by the rear view camera, and the home screen reappears when you put the car in drive.

You can still use voice commands to manipulate apps on the smartphone with this mirroring kit. However, instead of pushing the button on the steering wheel to get started, you would push the home button on the smartphone to start the voice prompts, and the rest should work the same. I don't use voice commands much, so I cannot guarantee this will work, but I don't see any problem with this.

Lastly, as you say, there is not a perfect solution. But this kit works very well for me. Since Toyota/Lexus has resisted Apple Carplay integration, the situation will not change for a while.
Old 01-06-18, 12:14 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

ok, it's good to know that I don't have to change an input to see the rear view camera. When using voice command on a Android phone, you can enable it to receive the command without pushing the home button on the phone. You just prompt it by saying, "ok, google".

Now I just have to find the right vehicle. I don't want an all black interior, don't love the Flaxen, and I honestly don't love the Shimamoku stripe either (so that also rules out the grey interior). And I don't like Black exterior and my husband's is a White LS so I don't want two of the same. So I think that narrows it down to finding a Parchment interior on a Cashmere, Blue or Red exterior. I am still considering one with a black/saddle tan interior with the stunning matte wood trim but still not sure about black/two tone seats and the closest one to me just to look at the color combination is at least an hour and a half drive from me. And then it has to have the right mileage, pricing, and good condition/service records. I might be looking for a while...
Old 01-06-18, 01:09 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Well, it is important to decide which features are important for you before starting a search for a new car. If you really need the mirroring function, you have to look at 2013+ LSs as you are doing. You have very specific color and trim choices, which will narrow the selection of available cars even more. For example, my vehicle with the UltraLux and safety features is quite rare, and I traveled 1000 miles to NY to buy it. Given your specific needs, you should do a nationwide search on cars.com, autotrader.com, and cargurus.com, and be willing to travel far for the exact combo you need. I did a quick search and came up with the following (includes 2015, AWD and LWB cars). For a couple, I couldn't check whether they had the Shimamoku trim. If you remove AWD or LWB for example, the numbers dwindle even further. Good luck with your search!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8816/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7620/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0054/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2739/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7221/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3373/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9397/overview/
Old 01-07-18, 08:53 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Thanks comotiger. I have been actively searching all three websites you mentioned almost daily, and yes on a nationwide search with alerts for new listings. I sometimes call the dealerships when pics aren't posted yet on a potential vehicle to get more details or pics sent before they're posted when possible. My budget (low $30's) puts me barely at a 2013 with mid/higher miles so my options are pretty limited. But I'll be patient and have faith that the right one will come along in the next 2 months or so.

My ideal car is: 2013 LS 460 SWB AWD, with Comfort pkg, BSM, and ML stereo, Cashmere Satin/Deep Sea Mica/Matador Red with Parchment interior. 50-75K miles, under $34K
Old 01-07-18, 09:01 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Thanks comotiger. I have been actively searching all three websites you mentioned almost daily, and yes on a nationwide search with alerts for new listings. I sometimes call the dealerships when pics aren't posted yet on a potential vehicle to get more details or pics sent before they're posted when possible. My budget (low $30's) puts me barely at a 2013 with mid/higher miles so my options are pretty limited. But I'll be patient and have faith that the right one will come along in the next 2 months or so.

My ideal car is: 2013 LS 460 SWB AWD, with Comfort pkg, BSM, and ML stereo, Cashmere Satin/Deep Sea Mica/Matador Red with Parchment interior. 50-75K miles, under $34K
PM sent again to you.
Old 01-07-18, 11:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Great! Good luck with the search. Your patience will pay off. When the potential perfect vehicle comes along, remember to do a pre-purchase inspection (e.g., a company like lemonsquad.com), especially if the vehicle is far from you. The money (typically $150) would be well worth it, and could factor in your decision to buy the car. For my car, I had a decent PPI done at a Lexus dealership, which was not as comprehensive as done by these companies. The PPI missed a few things, which had I known, would have helped me negotiate a 3-5% lower price.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-07-18)
Old 01-07-18, 12:27 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

I will definitely keep that in mind and likely follow your advice. I assume I should do a PPI even if I plan to fly out and test drive the car myself? Also, if it's L-certified would you bother?
Old 01-07-18, 12:55 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Man, This Forum is great for all the info. Now, today, after all these years, I realize, I'm not that smart. DAMN !!! I thought I knew it all. I'm almost 60 years old !!! I guess you can teach and Old Dog !!!
Old 01-07-18, 01:04 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

I will definitely keep that in mind and likely follow your advice. I assume I should do a PPI even if I plan to fly out and test drive the car myself? Also, if it's L-certified would you bother?
I wouldn't bother for L-Certified. In that case, if there's anything wrong you can get it fixed at your local dealer. What I would do is check the Yelp reviews for the dealer to see if anyone had issues with their CPO cars. In my search, I found a few dealers that didn't have the best reputation, and even an L-Certified car that showed an accident on Carfax.
Old 01-07-18, 01:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

You should consider a PPI on any used car you intend to buy, whether it is at a dealership 1 mile or 100 miles away. You should definitely do the PPI ahead of time and negotiate a satisfactory price (based upon any issues identified in the PPI), especially if you are flying far to test drive before making the final decision.

If the car is Lexus CPO, there is no need for the 3rd party PPI. If any problems showed up after purchase (defective previous repair, defective equipment, etc.), all of that would be covered under the CPO warranty, which would be honored by Lexus dealers anywhere in the US.

I second Dave's suggestion about accident check. Please check records using both CarFax and Autocheck. There are no guarantees, but if both of these turn up no accidents, the car is likely accident-free. On a previous CPO Lexus I bought, CarFax indicated no accidents, but I learned after I bought it that it had been in a one car "accident" (ran over metal debris on road that chewed up the bottom) that was flagged on Autocheck.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-07-18 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (01-07-18)

Quick Reply: No Android integration/screen mirroring option for 2013 LS?