LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front Licence Plate or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 04:10 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front Licence Plate or Not?

I bought my 2014 LS 460 used which already had the front license plate holes drilled into it, but I was wondering what most LS drivers out there prefer. I could remove the plate and the mount and maybe plug the holes with something, but I'm wondering if it is worth it. I know it is illegal to drive without a front license plate, but I don't think it is enforced much where I live. Do most of you use the front license plate on your LS 460 or not?
Old 12-15-17, 04:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Required by law here, so yeah....front plate in place.
Old 12-15-17, 04:28 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by wjlim22
I bought my 2014 LS 460 used which already had the front license plate holes drilled into it, but I was wondering what most LS drivers out there prefer. I could remove the plate and the mount and maybe plug the holes with something, but I'm wondering if it is worth it. I know it is illegal to drive without a front license plate, but I don't think it is enforced much where I live. Do most of you use the front license plate on your LS 460 or not?
Yes, as Chris said, it is the law. California's traffic law requires two license plates, front and back. You could be pulled over and receive a ticket/citation for missing the front license. Some cops are lenient or are preoccupied with more important assignments (and therefore not bother stopping you and giving you a ticket); others may not be lenient or busy and will pull you over. I am only aware that Florida has a single back license plate.
Old 12-15-17, 06:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yep, in CA, you must have a front license plate. More importantly, you don't want nuisance police stops for this or they may get you for something more ominous (a single glass of wine; something on the back seat that shouldn't be there, etc, etc)
Old 12-15-17, 07:39 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Just because it isn't "enforced much" doesn't make it any less a reason as to why you shouldn't have it.
Here in Chicago it's the same deal, on my S2000 I don't have a front plate simply because it never came with one when I purchased the vehicle and I was not keen on drilling holes into my front bumper.

Have I ever gotten stopped for it? No. But I've gotten stopped plenty of times for no plate on my other vehicles. It's all up to the officer and what he or she deems is "appropriate".

On my LS I have my front plate on also because it's my daily, again, doesn't mean I shouldn't drive without a front plate on my S2000 either, it just sits 95% of the time (lol).
Old 12-15-17, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Mine has the front plate. I’m so used to seeing cars with it, cars without it seem odd to me.
Old 12-16-17, 03:52 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think my car would look better without it but it's required by law to have it, never even considered removing it...and it's not like I'm self righteous or anything, I just know I'd get pulled over before I made it halfway to work.
Old 12-16-17, 07:19 AM
mikebrinda
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Southern California. I do not have a front plate on any car. Perhaps I have been lucky; never been hassled. I have been reliably informed that if LAX has airport entry checkpoint operating you will get stopped for no front plate.
Old 12-16-17, 07:19 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

No front plate required here in AR. My LS did come with the front bracket which was in the trunk when I bought.

Dennis
Old 12-16-17, 08:51 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Have the bracket last owner had a dealer name tag on it. I took it off. KS does not require a front plate. Long ago if you had a personalized tag you had to use two but not anymore. On my LS400 i had a nice Lexus tag in front i left it on the car when i sold it.
Old 12-18-17, 01:33 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikebrinda
I am in Southern California. I do not have a front plate on any car. Perhaps I have been lucky; never been hassled. I have been reliably informed that if LAX has airport entry checkpoint operating you will get stopped for no front plate.
I'm in Orange County also. It seems like a lot of cars out here have the tinted front windows and no front plate. Both are illegal. I've always had tinted windows but I've never left the front plate off. I was pulled over once for tinted front windows about 20 years ago in Newport Beach on the peninsula when I was in college and driving a Nissan 240SX.
Old 12-18-17, 01:52 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

In some areas of California, Santa Monica for example, the parking-enforcement officers will issue parking tickets for no front plate. You don't even have to be in the vehicle. Some cities will do anything for extra revenue.
Old 12-18-17, 01:58 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Sounds like more trouble than it is worth. I think I will be leaving my front plate on since it is already drilled.
Old 12-18-17, 02:23 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have one. I got my car in Florida and it was originally in SC. Didn't have a front plate. In Texas we are supposed to have one but tons of people in Houston don't have one.

From our Houston snow day.
Old 12-18-17, 02:41 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

required in CA, but I've only been pulled over for it once in 30 odd years, and technically I was pulled over for speeding and he added the no front plate ticket. I used some Velcro, had it signed off, then removed it.

Haven't had a front plate on any car in 30 year.

Quick Reply: Front Licence Plate or Not?