LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?

Old 03-22-18, 04:40 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I have been taking the build quality for granted. I mean, it is an LS after all so maybe I just expect the high levels of craftsmanship. I notice how heavy the doors are on my wife's ES 330. It takes more effort to open and close her car door. I recently went out to lunch with a friend and his fairly new 2016 Camry. I think it was an LE. I was shocked by how hollow and flimsy the car door felt, as if it was entirely plastic. I looked around the spartan Camry interior and wondered how it is that I got so excited about Camrys and Accords in my youth. There is a huge price disparity between an LS and Camry/Accord of course, but I remember Camrys being more impressive throughout the 1990s. This recent example felt so cheaply put together. Sorry to have gone so far off topic, the comment about stiffer build really resonated with me.
Totally with you! For me, its always been about the way the door closes. There is a subtle feeling of solidness with the LS door when you close it. Tight tolerances, good balance, whatever it is, it closes smoothly and without that clack/smack that cars in other classes lack.
Old 03-22-18, 04:48 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately, my sometimes-passengers continue to slam my doors as though it's a '68 pick-up. Nothing I say, it seems, will break them of this. I've demonstrated the soft-close doors, but yet they sometimes get out and nearly blow me out of my seat when exiting. Sigh...
Old 03-23-18, 06:42 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I went to see the 2011 with the matte wood trim yesterday. Love the color combination, however it was in ROUGH shape! Both exterior and interior. Even cuts in the beautiful suede headliner. What a shame.
Old 03-25-18, 12:52 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Is there anybody on this forum who lives near Walpole/Sharon, MA that wants to go drive a beautiful 2013 Red LS for me and let me know what they think of how it drives and interior/exterior condition? Looking for one more objective opinion before I pull the trigger and make an offer on this car. I would be forever GRATEFUL!

Last edited by Mbbarron; 03-25-18 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 03-25-18, 06:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi Mbbarron, is the car at a dealership? While a fellow CLer may be able to check out the car for you, I recommend you have a PPI done by Lemonsquad or similar company. For less than $200, you will get a very through professional inspection with lots of pictures, and a price estimate for the car and any repairs that could help with the negotiations.
Old 03-25-18, 07:21 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi Mbbarron, is the car at a dealership? While a fellow CLer may be able to check out the car for you, I recommend you have a PPI done by Lemonsquad or similar company. For less than $200, you will get a very through professional inspection with lots of pictures, and a price estimate for the car and any repairs that could help with the negotiations.
It's at an internet dealership. I got a PPI at the Lexus dealer near there who gave it a clean bill of health but wouldn't give me much detail on the cosmetic scratches other than to say they were minor. I can have the dealership send more pics or do another video chat/virtual test drive. They're not trying to cover anything up. They told me their quote from the body shop they use is $1,500 in paint repairs at $300 per panel x 5 panels. I'm just still hesitant to make an offer or negotiate on price without seeing it myself and I'm not flying up there until I have negotiated the price to my satisfaction.
Old 03-28-18, 01:45 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Decided to pass on the red one. He wouldn't come down on price anymore. Only 5% off list and was not negotiable one penny more. Just slightly over my max budget and with lots of cosmetic work to boot.

And my hunt continues. I've seen two 2011's in the last week and both of them had significant exterior/bumper damage. If that was all there was, then I probably could have negotiated the best price, fixed what I wanted and lived with it. If only. Today's car, interior was nearly squeaky clean. Regular detailing at Lexus 2x year for last several years. But had two bent rims which was causing a serious shimmy. Also radio button was completely broken and wouldn't shut off radio. Sure it can be controlled through the steering wheel but really? Just not worth dealing with all that.

My hubby and I decided that I should really focus my search on a 2013 CPO. Could be a while longer until the right one presents itself. I'm tired of waiting and getting impatient and tired of this search but it's gotta be the right car/deal.
Old 03-28-18, 02:26 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Decided to pass on the red one. He wouldn't come down on price anymore. Only 5% off list and was not negotiable one penny more. Just slightly over my max budget and with lots of cosmetic work to boot.

And my hunt continues. I've seen two 2011's in the last week and both of them had significant exterior/bumper damage. If that was all there was, then I probably could have negotiated the best price, fixed what I wanted and lived with it. If only. Today's car, interior was nearly squeaky clean. Regular detailing at Lexus 2x year for last several years. But had two bent rims which was causing a serious shimmy. Also radio button was completely broken and wouldn't shut off radio. Sure it can be controlled through the steering wheel but really? Just not worth dealing with all that.

My hubby and I decided that I should really focus my search on a 2013 CPO. Could be a while longer until the right one presents itself. I'm tired of waiting and getting impatient and tired of this search but it's gotta be the right car/deal.
Many of us empathize with your frustration and experienced the same moments of disappointment and hopelessness. Do not waver in your search though. Stay true to what you seek and you'll find it. You will also be so glad you didn't settle. We know the search can wear on you. I had to lean heavily on other forum members when I was in the hunt a year ago. I received a lot of sage advice and support along the way. The right one will come along. Time is on your side as the longer it takes also means prices will come down. Best of luck and we all look forward to the day you post photos of your new perfect LS.
Old 03-28-18, 02:51 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Many of us empathize with your frustration and experienced the same moments of disappointment and hopelessness. Do not waver in your search though. Stay true to what you seek and you'll find it. You will also be so glad you didn't settle. We know the search can wear on you. I had to lean heavily on other forum members when I was in the hunt a year ago. I received a lot of sage advice and support along the way. The right one will come along. Time is on your side as the longer it takes also means prices will come down. Best of luck and we all look forward to the day you post photos of your new perfect LS.
Thank you for your words of encouragement, support and advice. This forum is so awesome! It's hard to pass on this beauty not knowing when another just like it in better condition will come along...
Old 03-29-18, 06:35 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron

I've been on a similar hunt for the past year for a 2013+ LS with DRCC which is a super-duper rare breed and the few I've found are priced outrageously or don't have the right supporting options (i.e. one had DRCC but no ML!). All that to say I've found some really nice examples of 2013's in the $35-$37k price range still under factory warranty last year; Lexus doesn't sell too many of the LS's so it would be hard to find the right color combo/features you may be looking for. But 2014's and 2015's keep coming off lease's right about now, all I can say is keep on searching and be patient.

Someone on CL said "better to get a good deal on a great car, than a great deal on a good car"...the LS is worth it =)
Old 04-03-18, 05:39 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wandl
I've been on a similar hunt for the past year for a 2013+ LS with DRCC which is a super-duper rare breed and the few I've found are priced outrageously or don't have the right supporting options (i.e. one had DRCC but no ML!). All that to say I've found some really nice examples of 2013's in the $35-$37k price range still under factory warranty last year; Lexus doesn't sell too many of the LS's so it would be hard to find the right color combo/features you may be looking for. But 2014's and 2015's keep coming off lease's right about now, all I can say is keep on searching and be patient.

Someone on CL said "better to get a good deal on a great car, than a great deal on a good car"...the LS is worth it =)
Wandl I like that quote! Is something like this what you're looking for? Higher miles but price seems decent for the features. I didn't check the Carfax. l'll leave that to you. Good luck with your search! https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/39345122
Old 04-13-18, 07:42 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wandl

wandl Here's another one I just happened upon. Not sure if this one meets your criteria. http://www.greeneford.net/Details-24...CL5EF8E5022190
Old 04-13-18, 07:52 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Specs look really really nice, but didn't know you could get the Ultra luxury package on a F-Sport. Think that is correct?

F-sport with semi-aniline and 42k miles for 36k sounds like a great deal on the face of it. Curious if there are any aesthetic surprises.
Old 04-13-18, 08:03 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shad034
Specs look really really nice, but didn't know you could get the Ultra luxury package on a F-Sport. Think that is correct?

F-sport with semi-aniline and 42k miles for 36k sounds like a great deal on the face of it. Curious if there are any aesthetic surprises.
Yeah, I don't know either. Price seems too good to be true. I would email Lexus Customer satisfaction to see what the build sheet says is really on this car. They usually respond within half a day for me.
Old 04-13-18, 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Shad034

You can't...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?