LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 07:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd get the 2012 if it is a car that truly excites you (color, options). As others have pointed out, it really increases your odds of the "bugs" being worked out. There are some 2011 cars that have the "sticky door panel" issue and some control arm issues as well (neither as common as in the 2007-2009 models). To my limited knowledge, all of that stuff was worked out in late 2011 and definitely into 2012.

I switched from an '04 with 250k miles in February of this year to a 2010 460L. It has been phenomenal. As others have pointed out, there's some things about the 430 engine that I miss (longer gears, smoother, quieter) but there are so many positives of the 460 that I have absolutely no regrets about the switch. I looked at '13 and '14 because I like the interior refresh but wasn't too happy with the infotainment system and couldn't justify the $10k premium of a '13 vs. a '12.

Don't settle- I searched for 15-18 months before pulling the trigger. Know what options and colors are "must haves" and when you find the right car, buy it. You'll have no regrets- the 460 is a great ride.
Old 10-09-17, 07:22 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

agreed to what you said, I too miss the ls430 sometimes but the 460 is pretty good as well. I bought a 2011 about 2.5 yrs ago and put about 50k miles on it, 0 issues. one thing to also watch when you buy the car is the sunroof, a lot of these cars have the rubber cranked and going bad even the 2013s and 14s. I had mine replaced and while I was looking to upgrade to a 13+ I saw most of few with the same issue.
Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'd get the 2012 if it is a car that truly excites you (color, options). As others have pointed out, it really increases your odds of the "bugs" being worked out. There are some 2011 cars that have the "sticky door panel" issue and some control arm issues as well (neither as common as in the 2007-2009 models). To my limited knowledge, all of that stuff was worked out in late 2011 and definitely into 2012.

I switched from an '04 with 250k miles in February of this year to a 2010 460L. It has been phenomenal. As others have pointed out, there's some things about the 430 engine that I miss (longer gears, smoother, quieter) but there are so many positives of the 460 that I have absolutely no regrets about the switch. I looked at '13 and '14 because I like the interior refresh but wasn't too happy with the infotainment system and couldn't justify the $10k premium of a '13 vs. a '12.

Don't settle- I searched for 15-18 months before pulling the trigger. Know what options and colors are "must haves" and when you find the right car, buy it. You'll have no regrets- the 460 is a great ride.
Old 01-09-18, 07:49 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TXLS430
Now there is also a 2012 LS460 in a beautiful matador red color (which I love) for $32K with 29,000 miles with comfort package
Have you found a car yet? I'm not sure of your entire criteria but I was looking at this one but decided to push my budget to go for a 2013. This one might interest you...

http://www.bredemannlexus.com/Vehicl...-IL/3098490703

Good luck with your search! I'm still on the hunt myself.
Old 01-10-18, 07:17 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

The 2012 you linked to looks fairly nice on the outside, but have you seen the photo of the driver's seat? No Bueno! Looks extremely dirty, creased, worn, etc., and the B pillar is pretty torn up from the seatbelt too. I always look at this area of a car as an indicator of how well the previous owner cared for the interior, and this one fails the test pretty dramatically. Should be other 2012s available in better shape for that kind of money. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails 2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?-15787912567x640.jpg  
Old 01-12-18, 05:55 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by riknchar
The 2012 you linked to looks fairly nice on the outside, but have you seen the photo of the driver's seat? No Bueno! Looks extremely dirty, creased, worn, etc., and the B pillar is pretty torn up from the seatbelt too. I always look at this area of a car as an indicator of how well the previous owner cared for the interior, and this one fails the test pretty dramatically. Should be other 2012s available in better shape for that kind of money. Good luck!
I did notice that myself. That was one of my hesitations on this car also, but really I decided I want to get a 2013/14 MY. My husband said he spoke with this dealership about this car and he's pretty sure they told him that they repaired the B pillar. I did happen to love the interior color of this car though. I love that matte wood trim!
Old 01-12-18, 07:00 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
I did notice that myself. That was one of my hesitations on this car also, but really I decided I want to get a 2013/14 MY. My husband said he spoke with this dealership about this car and he's pretty sure they told him that they repaired the B pillar. I did happen to love the interior color of this car though. I love that matte wood trim!
Yeah, the matte wood is nice. I'm glad I got that.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?-dscn2988.jpg  
Old 01-12-18, 08:51 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi.

I looked for for about a year before I found my 2010 460 lwb. However, I was looking between German and Lexus because they were the only manufacturers to offer the lwb I needed for a family member. I was fortunate to find one with all the bells and whistles in back but not the executive version. Nonetheless, I have been extremely happy with my first Lexus. I did need the control arms replaced along with rear air shocks but it was still under warranty so no additional cost to me but time for repairs.

I did did not like the 13 refresh because of the front grill. Just does not appeal to me. Mine has alabaster interior with the matte wood. It has such a rich look and feel to it. If there was anything I would recommend,it is the matte finish wood.

My only reference to previous LS was when they first came out and I test drove one. Was blown away, but my partner did not want a car payment and then we stayed with American cars. Wished we had gone to Lexus sooner, probably would have had better vehicle experiences.

Anyway, just be sure to have your selection checked out thoroughly and do run the vin with Lexus driver to see if it was maintained. I know many here fear the air suspension, but no matter the manufacturer, there will always be a possibility for repairs. I love ours because the ride is just so nice.

Good luck on finding just just what you want or can live with. It really is a great bit of machinery.

Best

Cubby

Last edited by Cubbylex; 01-12-18 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-12-18, 09:51 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Going to see this car tomorrow with a matte wood interior, but it has black/saddle tan two tone seats. Not sure I'm going to like that interior color combo but I'm going to check it out. It's definitely overpriced so I doubt I'm buying this one, but there's another one with this same color combo that's in another state which is fairly priced (although not L-certified like this one). Anyway, I really don't want black seats but I love the matte wood and matte wood with parchment seats isn't an option in a 2013. So I'll see it in person and decide which is more important to me, light color leather seats or matte wood?

Any tips on what to look for/ask when test driving a car?

Old 01-12-18, 09:59 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would definitely ask where the roughest roads are so you can get a good feel of how the ride will be at it’s worst. Stop and go traffic is good to test brakes, acceleration and some handling in a rushed environment. However, get a feel for the car first before doing that. Get on the freeway and up to speed for a while so you know wind noise, vibrations ,etc. that way when you return, you can have things checked out

make sure you can get somewhere quiet to check out under the hood, trunk, and do a walk around without feeling any pressure.

Be be sure to check out all the switches to make sure everything works as it should.

Be sure to let the steering wheel go briefly for any pulling.

Just some thoughts.

Cubby
The following users liked this post:
Mbbarron (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 01:33 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi.

I looked for for about a year before I found my 2010 460 lwb. However, I was looking between German and Lexus because they were the only manufacturers to offer the lwb I needed for a family member. I was fortunate to find one with all the bells and whistles in back but not the executive version. Nonetheless, I have been extremely happy with my first Lexus. I did need the control arms replaced along with rear air shocks but it was still under warranty so no additional cost to me but time for repairs.

I did did not like the 13 refresh because of the front grill. Just does not appeal to me. Mine has alabaster interior with the matte wood. It has such a rich look and feel to it. If there was anything I would recommend,it is the matte finish wood.

My only reference to previous LS was when they first came out and I test drove one. Was blown away, but my partner did not want a car payment and then we stayed with American cars. Wished we had gone to Lexus sooner, probably would have had better vehicle experiences.

Anyway, just be sure to have your selection checked out thoroughly and do run the vin with Lexus driver to see if it was maintained. I know many here fear the air suspension, but no matter the manufacturer, there will always be a possibility for repairs. I love ours because the ride is just so nice.

Good luck on finding just just what you want or can live with. It really is a great bit of machinery.

Best

Cubby
What package is that matte wood trim offered?
Old 01-13-18, 07:54 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
What package is that matte wood trim offered?
You can see it in the brochures for each year - this is 2013, where it's only offered with the black & saddle tan leather .
Attached Thumbnails 2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?-2013_combos.jpg  

Last edited by Dave144239; 01-13-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 11:08 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

2011 LWB vs. 2013 SWB
Still on the hunt myself... Have 2 good options in the works: 2013 SWB AWD 27K miles with ML, Semi-Aniline and 19" wheels. OR 2011 LWB AWD 87K miles with ML, Luxury Pkg w/ Semi-Aniline and Navigation Value Edition: (Rare find and also happens to be matte wood trim as I mentioned that I love). Biggest advantage of the 2011: $11,000 price difference. Yes, huge difference in miles and 2013 is still under powertrain warranty, but maybe not too much of a difference in features to justify the new MY body style and upgrade features for the much larger price tag. I'm not worried about resale value; Planning to keep the car for a long time and just want the best value that will meet my needs.

Can you help me make a list of the features/differences on the 2013 that the 2011 is lacking?
- New body style/interior design
- 12.3" Split screen display
- Real time traffic on Nav?
- LED daytime running lamps and LED puddle lamps
- New exhaust diffusers
- Is the driver's seat extender the same on the 2011?
- Analog clock with GPS functionality (my hubby happens to love this look)
- Sport and comfort drive modes
- USB port in center console
- Remote Touch Interface (for me this is a negative)
- Shock absorbers for coil suspension (provide greater ride comfort and agility)?
- Blind Spot Monitor with Cross Traffic Alert
- 357 HP vs. 360 HP and lower ground clearance (5.5" v 5.1")

What am I missing? Any comments on performance? Issues to be aware of on the 2011? (Sticky door panels, Sunroof, ...?) Thanks all!
Old 03-22-18, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I would do the 2013. IMHO the upgrade in 2013 is huge, the car is much more current looking inside and out, stiffer build, better tech, better interior with significant interior upgrades.

Seat extender is different. On the 2011 the whole drivers cushion slides out to make the seat longer, while on the 13-17 the end hinges out to give you the extension.
Old 03-22-18, 04:25 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
2011 LWB vs. 2013 SWB
Still on the hunt myself... Have 2 good options in the works: 2013 SWB AWD 27K miles with ML, Semi-Aniline and 19" wheels. OR 2011 LWB AWD 87K miles with ML, Luxury Pkg w/ Semi-Aniline and Navigation Value Edition: (Rare find and also happens to be matte wood trim as I mentioned that I love). Biggest advantage of the 2011: $11,000 price difference. Yes, huge difference in miles and 2013 is still under powertrain warranty, but maybe not too much of a difference in features to justify the new MY body style and upgrade features for the much larger price tag. I'm not worried about resale value; Planning to keep the car for a long time and just want the best value that will meet my needs.

Can you help me make a list of the features/differences on the 2013 that the 2011 is lacking?
- New body style/interior design
- 12.3" Split screen display
- Real time traffic on Nav?
- LED daytime running lamps and LED puddle lamps
- New exhaust diffusers
- Is the driver's seat extender the same on the 2011?
- Analog clock with GPS functionality (my hubby happens to love this look)
- Sport and comfort drive modes
- USB port in center console
- Remote Touch Interface (for me this is a negative)
- Shock absorbers for coil suspension (provide greater ride comfort and agility)?
- Blind Spot Monitor with Cross Traffic Alert
- 357 HP vs. 360 HP and lower ground clearance (5.5" v 5.1")

What am I missing? Any comments on performance? Issues to be aware of on the 2011? (Sticky door panels, Sunroof, ...?) Thanks all!

This might help. Stole this from the FAQ. All the new stuff in 2013.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rt-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
Mbbarron (03-25-18)
Old 03-22-18, 04:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would do the 2013. IMHO the upgrade in 2013 is huge, the car is much more current looking inside and out, stiffer build, better tech, better interior with significant interior upgrades.

Seat extender is different. On the 2011 the whole drivers cushion slides out to make the seat longer, while on the 13-17 the end hinges out to give you the extension.
I have been taking the build quality for granted. I mean, it is an LS after all so maybe I just expect the high levels of craftsmanship. I notice how heavy the doors are on my wife's ES 330. It takes more effort to open and close her car door. I recently went out to lunch with a friend and his fairly new 2016 Camry. I think it was an LE. I was shocked by how hollow and flimsy the car door felt, as if it was entirely plastic. I looked around the spartan Camry interior and wondered how it is that I got so excited about Camrys and Accords in my youth. There is a huge price disparity between an LS and Camry/Accord of course, but I remember Camrys being more impressive throughout the 1990s. This recent example felt so cheaply put together. Sorry to have gone so far off topic, the comment about stiffer build really resonated with me.

Back on track, I will say the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) really does a phenomenal job. We all managed to drive and not kill ourselves without this tech in the past but I must say it has saved me quite a few times in parking lots when I'm parked next to a huge truck and can't see around it. The RCTA warns me well in advance of someone approaching or another car racing down the parking lane. I notice it alerts me up to four parking spaces away and provides ample warning. Backup sensors, cameras, and BSM are all nice too but RCTA is one feature I really appreciate when in reverse.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-22-18 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 LS 460 or 2012 LS460?