LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear-ended. Sigh

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 07:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Rear-ended. Sigh

Coming home from Home Depot last night, came to a stop at a RR crossing. Looked in my rearview mirror and could see the car behind me was oblivious as she approached, dealing with her grandson in the back seat. I braced for the inevitable collision. Damage seems minimal, consisting of punctured bumper. Who knows about what lies underneath. I'm pretty sore this morning, headache and neck pain.

So now comes my selection of a body shop. I'm leaning towards a Lexus dealer. The nearest being about an hour away. Bonus is I can get my fuel gasket recall done and hopefully, a decent courtesy vehicle.
Old 09-28-17, 08:15 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Hope you're feeling better soon. Don't you just want to strangle some people! Hopefully you can get a loaner (here in the US, we don't get loaners from dealers/bodyshops for accident damage - insurance usually covers a short term rental, but not a Lexus).
Old 09-28-17, 08:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Glad you are (relatively) OK and very glad there was no train involved in the accident!
Old 09-28-17, 09:05 AM
j400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear and glad everyone is okay. Thank goodness you were in an LS rather than a Nissan Leaf or smart car.
You say you were a little sore in the morning - might I suggest calling her insurance company and informing them of pain and suffering?
Unfortunately, she was the one that caused this, but you are most likely entitled for compensation.
Old 09-28-17, 09:53 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this. In all seriousness if you feel sore now it will get worse in a day or so. Go get checked out and get the battery of test to make sure better be safe then sorry.
Old 09-28-17, 11:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry to hear, at least you are okay and your car was not totaled. I am in the market for a car because I got rear ended and insurance ended up totaling my car despite it being drivable and damage not that bad due to age and mileage. I too saw what was about to happen, looked in the mirror as I was slowing down for a car in my lane stopped trying to make a turn and saw a car heading toward me going way too fast to be able to stop, I laid on the horn, took my foot off the brake and aimed my car right for the grass ditch away from oncoming traffic and got nailed which knocked me into the ditch. I don't even think she braked or was paying attention. It happened in the rain so I got soak and wet too but I was not injured. This was only a little over a year after having someone hit me in the side which totaled the car I was driving and set off 4 side/seat airbags, I did not even see that one coming. Luckily again I was not injured. Both times drivers were simply not paying attention and totally unavoidable. One of the reasons I will not buy a new or very expensive car and try to get the best deal I can especially with how little insurance gives you for cars.
Old 09-28-17, 12:37 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Coming home from Home Depot last night, came to a stop at a RR crossing. Looked in my rearview mirror and could see the car behind me was oblivious as she approached, dealing with her grandson in the back seat. I braced for the inevitable collision. Damage seems minimal, consisting of punctured bumper. Who knows about what lies underneath. I'm pretty sore this morning, headache and neck pain.

So now comes my selection of a body shop. I'm leaning towards a Lexus dealer. The nearest being about an hour away. Bonus is I can get my fuel gasket recall done and hopefully, a decent courtesy vehicle.
Hi Chris,
Very sorry to hear about this mishap. Glad to hear that you (and the other people involved) are OK, although your soreness suggests that this was no minor bump. Would you mind posting a couple of pics? As for the repairs, does this Lexus dealer have an in-house body shop? Many of them don't, and send elsewhere. IMO, you should consult a reputable body shop close to you. I don't know how things work in Canada, but the insurance adjuster may also be able to suggest good body shops in your town. And the shop might be able to figure out a way for the repairs to cover your deductible. True, you can get the gasket recall done also at the dealership, but you could wait and do it another time and still get a courtesy vehicle.

Last edited by comotiger; 09-28-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 12:51 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry Chris - Glad you're OK.
Old 09-28-17, 12:57 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Sorry this happened man. Glad your ok

I was in a similar scenario I slammed on the horn and they realized just in time and pressed on their brakes. whew. btw the car in front of me abruptly pressed on the gas but immediately stopped and wondered wtttfff?!?!!? hahahaha I saw his hands
Old 09-28-17, 12:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, sorry to hear about you getting hit, Chris. Hope the lingering soreness doesn't last long and doesn't indicate more serious affects to your health.
Old 09-28-17, 03:44 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

The LS is a well built vehicle and I'm glad you are ok.
Old 09-29-17, 06:04 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Chris

That sucks man. Go see the Doc and get it checked out

Dennis
Old 09-29-17, 06:36 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Very sorry to hear about this. I'll echo,what others have said: see a doctor. Soft tissue damage isn't always apparent right after an accident like yours.
Old 09-29-17, 07:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I had any work done by Lexus when required...Don't know in BC but the Dealer I used guaranteed their work for as long as you owned your car. I also found their work and attention to detail excellent.

You should go to a Doctor and have it recorded for any future potential complications.
Old 09-29-17, 08:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Sorry man. I went through this in May- 70 days in the shop and $18k in damages to my car after someone rear-ended me while I was stopped. Not sure if/how things are different in Canada compared to the US, but here you need to document that you saw a doctor within 14 days of the accident or else you don't have much of a leg to stand on for your injuries. Document everything, demand that you get X-rays, MRI's, etc. How you feel today may not dictate how you feel 2 months from now.

The LS is a premium car. Make sure you take it to the best shop you can find.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended. Sigh