LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How often do you have to use your key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 05:32 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Do a You Tube search and there are several videos on how to change the batteries (which I did on both key fobs about 2 months ago). Easy "check the box" task before having to further troubleshoot if the problem persists....
It's in the FAQ on here. lots of other really good info is there too

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html
Old 09-22-17, 02:00 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Out of curiosity, what percent of the time does your LS not "recognize" that the key is on you? There are times where my car doesn't sense the key fob even when I hold it up to the driver window while touching the door handle, so I have to manually unlock the car. Does this indicate a low battery or is there anything else I'm missing?
Never so far.
Old 09-22-17, 02:49 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

This might be helpful:
Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think the possibility that there is something wrong with your car, remote key or that something that you are carrying is causing this problem is so remote that you should not consider that. The remote key technology is reliable, mature electronics that is common to most cars all over the world.

The most likely cause of your problem is Radio Frequency Interference. Your remote key is a Radio Frequency transmitter that sends coded signals to a receiver in your car when you operate the keys on the remote. If there is an interfering signal then the operation is compromised.

If you find that you are having this problem only when you are parked at home or only when you are in your workplace parking lot or something like that then it is related to the parking place. If it seems to follow you then perhaps it is something you are carrying and that should be easy to sort out. Possible sources of localized interference are: radio transmitters such as cell sites, radio and TV stations, police and fire bases, radars (weather and ATC) in fact all manner of electronics that are closely collocated with your cars position. Another possible source is sodium vapor lights and fluorescent lights if they are malfunctioning such as flickering. Radio Frequency radiation from electric motors can cause a problem too.

The "Ether" is filled with radio signals and we have to expect that we will encounter locations where the wireless key technology will not work however for most of us it is extremely rare. If this happens to you, the possibility that your car or key is malfunctioning is pretty unlikely. If you are having persistent difficulties with the remote key changing the battery in the remote is the best thing to do - it should last about two years in normal use and replacement batteries are inexpensive.
Old 09-22-17, 05:02 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Jane123
When I was by my car it honked and lock the doors. I thought what going on? I walked over to my car and there on the dashboard is my only set of keys. I let someone borrow my car and the brains of the fob key was lost. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I started to think if someone drove by with a master fob or something. My purse was stolen out of my car about a year ago and my insurance company ask if I had lock my car. I thought I did they said sometimes the criminals have a master fob. Anyway does anyone know how I can get into my car? Does anyone else have this problem? I want to know if it's an issue so I not paranoid about being robbed. Let me know anyone thank you.
We've had several reports in our forum of keys being locked in cars. It is usually related to the "auto-relock" feature, but your description of events is too vague to venture any guess as to what happened. It is very unlikely that this was caused by phantom equipment or operators. Your paranoia is not justified as this is very reliable and mature electronics that is widely used, with few reports of problems. As far as getting into your car: a competent locksmith should be able to open your car. And it's best to have 2 electronic keys, with emergency mechanical keys in both.