LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help me prepare the LS for the quarter mile ... LEGIT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 05:36 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Help me prepare the LS for the quarter mile ... LEGIT!

Reading through the post about the 430 to 460 move, has got me itching to get the 460 to the dragstrip. Just for data purposes.

I need your help to prep the car to make a 13.9 second E.T. pass … and to do that, LEGIT.

What I mean is, I want to “prep” the car in order to increase the chances to just tick into the 13’s. I’m not certain that I can make it to the dragstrip anytime soon, but when I do, I would like to have some reasonable plans and preparation for the car before I go. I’m a planner. This post is just to gather your ideas. Throw them all out there. I, and we, can make a judgement on what is reasonable / legit. I would like my best achieved E.T. to be what this community can brag about to claim what this car is capable of. So, it cannot be stuff that does not represent a reasonable everyday LS 460.

When I say “prep,” I mean stuff like,
  • Having a half a tank of gas or less,
  • Removing any and all extra weight, (not removing stuff like seats though),
  • What settings to launch the car?
    • A/C must be off anyway, it’s a requirement.
    • Would traction (at launch) be better on the Comfort or Sport setting? As I understand, a car should squat, but as little rebound as possible. Coming off rebound is where traction is lost.
  • Trac control to stay ON, or OFF?
    • I will not be doing a friggin burnout in an LS…
  • Use the HOLD feature, or not?
  • Turning off anything that would unnecessarily put a load on the alternator, (even if it is tiny). It might take every single advantage to hit 13.9 seconds.
  • I wonder if stacking a truckload of Exhaust Vents would free up the exhaust flow enough to make a difference? It would sound badass at the track. But … is it legit?
Here are some of the ideas I can think of at this time that are not reasonable, but we can discuss them ad nauseam via this thread
  1. Changing wheels / tires for some acceleration advantage.
    1. But changing air pressures is feasible. Maybe run the fronts at max psi, and the rears down around 28 psi?
  2. Adding anything to the fuel that is not something that is normal, or couldn’t be procured at a gas station.
  3. Removing seats from the interior, or other interior accessories.
    1. But emptying the glove box and floor console are legit.
  4. Any excessive body mods or taping of cracks and crevices.
I know, I know, this whole thing is silly. It doesn't really matter what the car is capable of. But it is a cheap thrill ($20) to take it to the strip to find out. I've been tuning my 1972 Plymouth Scamp (360 engine), trying to get it to run right, and that car being about the same speed as the LS, has piqued my interest in the speed of the LS. If I can tune the Scamp to eek out (and beat) the LS, then I consider the Scamp in a really good state of tune. It's going to take a lot for the Scamp to beat the LS.

Jason
Old 08-25-17, 06:08 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know what your car would normally run the 1/4 in so let's say 14.5 best under normal conditions. . It would be very difficult to cut 6/10's off a 1/4 mile by removing little stuff in the car. Turning everything you can off, windows closed, minimal fuel, and heat up the tires and possible different wheel/tires. Finding the sweet spot for launch will do more for your times than most other "small stuff" Play around with tire pressure, Comfort or Sport setting.

Most of all have fun. I used to do this on a highly modified vehicle and first rule was be safe, second have fun. Times are what they are. Remember, find that sweet spot to launch.
Old 08-25-17, 06:18 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Nitrous? Just make sure to slap on some kewl JDM stickers circa early F&F movies!
Old 08-25-17, 04:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I know, I know, this whole thing is silly. It doesn't really matter what the car is capable of. But it is a cheap thrill ($20) to take it to the strip to find out
It's not "silly"...it's stupid and insane. And that's why it's gonna be a whole hella lot of fun!!! I'm jealous!
Old 08-25-17, 04:39 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Oh....and put the switch in the console on "snow" mode.
Old 08-25-17, 04:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I would turn traction control off. You can do a better job.

Don't use HOLD, keep your left foot on the brake instead. Unfortunately our LS's don't have a LAUNCH button.

Whenever you do get to the strip, be sure to update this thread.
Old 08-25-17, 05:10 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Just get some performance summer tires and TRAC off
Old 08-25-17, 06:02 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I mean if you're just going to drive it for under 15 seconds why not remove the serpentine belt? I'd probably pull the spare out of the trunk too.
Old 08-25-17, 06:22 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lol, this is a funny thread. The 460 is not fast, advantageous to just accept it. I would take out as much weight out as you can. I would not remove the serpentine belt. It's not really going to help much and it's not good for the vehicle to drive without it. Traction off. There is no launch control so you can't really keep the RPM's up. Take some videos and post.
Old 08-26-17, 02:56 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
Lol, this is a funny thread. The 460 is not fast, advantageous to just accept it. I would take out as much weight out as you can. I would not remove the serpentine belt. It's not really going to help much and it's not good for the vehicle to drive without it. Traction off. There is no launch control so you can't really keep the RPM's up. Take some videos and post.
Tested by Motor Trend 0-60 was 5.6 seconds. Definitely not slow, especially for a car its size.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (09-01-17)
Old 08-26-17, 04:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by teedub21
Tested by Motor Trend 0-60 was 5.6 seconds. Definitely not slow, especially for a car its size.
No kidding. I remember when that number was reserved for supercar status back in the day. My 50 liter Mustang ('88) would be left in the dust.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (09-01-17)
Old 08-26-17, 04:51 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It is slow by today's standards for a 80k+ luxury car. The new LS will be about a full second faster and on par with most of the competition.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 08-26-17 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 09:04 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

TRIPLE EXHAUST VENTS........ FTW!
Old 08-28-17, 05:27 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Oh....and put the switch in the console on "snow" mode.
I would think it would be slower in snow mode...
Old 08-29-17, 07:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I would think it would be slower in snow mode...
I was attempting humor......FAIL.

Quick Reply: Help me prepare the LS for the quarter mile ... LEGIT!