LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation after oil change. Maybe solved?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 05:58 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hesitation after oil change. Maybe solved?!?

I'll keep this short. So I took my car to Charles Barker Lexus for an oil change and a little while later my car started doing the notorious sluggish acceleration. I always buy the Toyota oil in the lexus shop and give it to them to do the oil change. But this time I didn't feel like it. From the looks of the receipt they used Valvoline 0w-20. A couple days later Lexi started feeling like a civic with no mods.

MY RESOLUTION SO FAR
I took her on the interstate shifted her in manual and drove her above 5k RPM for about 3 -5 minutes. Got off the interstate and the problem has not returned since. It's been a couple of days but the wife and I burned up about a quarter of a tank shopping for back to school stuff for the kids and the car was as amazing as the day I purchased it. Try it before you spend a fortune if your warranty is up. I'm guessing sometimes she just needs to be opened up.
Old 08-20-17, 06:12 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Above 5k rpm for five minutes? Man I'd be afraid to do that, but if it worked, good for you.

And what made you think of trying that?
Old 08-20-17, 06:21 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Above 5k rpm for five minutes? Man I'd be afraid to do that, but if it worked, good for you.

And what made you think of trying that?
the more I think about it. Maybe it just felt like forever. I basically drove the car like a race care for 5 minutes or so and that cleared it up.
Old 08-20-17, 06:28 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That's an Italian tune up. Usually used to burn off the deposits in the catalytic converters.
Old 08-20-17, 09:22 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I recently did something similar in mine, with the addition of 2 bottles of Techron added to 1/8 tank of gas before the "Italian tuneup". Same result, responsiveness returned and it even gets slightly better fuel economy. Go figure, our engines like to be beat once in a while to keep everything clean.
Old 08-21-17, 04:03 AM
Grandpa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is encouraging, thanks for sharing your results.

All major LS problems seem to have a definite cause/fix except for the hesitation after oil change. It's the one thing that has kept me from purchasing my LS.
Old 08-21-17, 04:25 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by norviewguy
I'll keep this short. So I took my car to Charles Barker Lexus for an oil change and a little while later my car started doing the notorious sluggish acceleration. I always buy the Toyota oil in the lexus shop and give it to them to do the oil change. But this time I didn't feel like it. From the looks of the receipt they used Valvoline 0w-20. A couple days later Lexi started feeling like a civic with no mods.

MY RESOLUTION SO FAR
I took her on the interstate shifted her in manual and drove her above 5k RPM for about 3 -5 minutes. Got off the interstate and the problem has not returned since. It's been a couple of days but the wife and I burned up about a quarter of a tank shopping for back to school stuff for the kids and the car was as amazing as the day I purchased it. Try it before you spend a fortune if your warranty is up. I'm guessing sometimes she just needs to be opened up.
Try to find out what they do in addition to changing the oil. It makes no sense that a simple oil & filter change would have an effect on acceleration. I changed the oil many times on my '11 and never had the problem. No disrespect intended but 5k rpm for several minutes...YIKES!
Old 08-21-17, 05:02 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

the more I think about it. Maybe it just felt like forever. I basically drove the car like a race care for 5 minutes or so and that cleared it up.
Haha. My car must hate me, I never have any fun with it. Glad this technique worked for you, I'm really at a loss as to why people experience the hesitation only after an oil change.
Old 08-21-17, 07:45 AM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In for the knowledge
Old 08-21-17, 07:52 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by jud149
Try to find out what they do in addition to changing the oil. It makes no sense that a simple oil & filter change would have an effect on acceleration. I changed the oil many times on my '11 and never had the problem. No disrespect intended but 5k rpm for several minutes...YIKES!
they added wynns oil conditioner. Even though I did not request it. They are lucky I paid for it. Lol. But like I said earlier. It felt like 5 minutes but I basically just drove the car in manual like I was Andretti for about 5 minutes as she came around. My thought is I knocked some sludge out of somewhere.
Old 08-21-17, 07:54 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by 0133642
Agreed. 5,000 RPM for 5 minutes is simply madness and completely unnecessary. They most likely disconnected the battery and the transmission relearned itself. I've had to do that twice after new batteries.
when we did the brakes and spark plugs we unplugged the battery for the whole duration and that problem never happened. And as I said I may have over exaggerated a little bit. I just dogged the car in manual for about 5 minutes on the interstate and the problem went away. My thought is the wynn oil condition moved some sludge in a bad area and opening up the throttle like that may have help to burn it up.
Old 08-21-17, 08:00 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

they added wynns oil conditioner. Even though I did not request it. They are lucky I paid for it..
Boy, I don't blame you. I probably would have told them to change the oil again to get that crap out of there. Like these oils of today need conditioners. Seems like every business is trying to squeeze a little more out of their customers.
Old 08-21-17, 09:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Boy, I don't blame you. I probably would have told them to change the oil again to get that crap out of there. Like these oils of today need conditioners. Seems like every business is trying to squeeze a little more out of their customers.
If it was done properly, the Wynns WOULD have been drained. If it's anything like most oil system cleaners, it's added to the old oil PRIOR to the oil change and run for 15 minutes or so. Then the oil is drained and a fresh oil change is done. I did this on my LS with the Toyota product (Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner). I have not had the hesitation since (nearly 3 years). Theory is, that the VVT-I system is sensitive to any deposits which partially clogs it, or causing a ping which causes the knock sensor to activate and retard timing.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-11-21)
Old 08-21-17, 09:11 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't understand, is it not universally understood that the issue is the knock sensors triggered by the valve stems. Oil passes through these for lubrication and a change in weight and / or viscosity could easily cause them to move excessively triggerig the knock sensors. Hence why the issue pops up at oil changes. Am I correct that this issue only affects 2012 and under as 13 got the redesigned heads? If this issue only affects 2012 and under I don't buy the vvti theory. It seems like the issue within the heads is quite logical as this component was what was redesigned not the variable valve timing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...sb-0033-08.pdf

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 08-22-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-21-17, 09:52 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't Seafoam in the oil and gas have cleaned all the junk out?

Quick Reply: Hesitation after oil change. Maybe solved?!?