LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead factory battery replaced with Costco Battery Interstate/#27 Ls460

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 06:59 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kclark2
YIKES! What model Audi??
A8 long wheel base. Mine is the 2nd largest in the A8's. Was not worth spending an extra $100 for a bit more reserve on the biggest... lolThe big batteries are mainly for the auto stop start system I believe. Lots of reserve to power the systems with the engine off.
Old 07-24-17, 07:52 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
I would not pay for labor. The LS does not have a charging management system so nothing needs to be reset. I paid $230 for my battery and installed myself. Most good AGM's go for about $200 - $250 for the battery. For lead acid I would not spend more then $120.

As far as size, often the OEM will vary in size based on options for the car. Quick search also came up with BCI group 27.
If an AGM costs twice as much as a regular battery, does it last twice as long? If not, then wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy two regular batteries over time? Just curious because I do not have experience with AGM batteries. Wish I could have found a Panasonic to go back in under the hood. I went with a Duralast Gold because I saw good experiences posted on the forum (and because Costco didn't stock my size at any of the three local locations). It has a 5 year warranty (3 year free replacement) for $120.
Old 07-25-17, 06:57 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
If an AGM costs twice as much as a regular battery, does it last twice as long? If not, then wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy two regular batteries over time? Just curious because I do not have experience with AGM batteries. Wish I could have found a Panasonic to go back in under the hood. I went with a Duralast Gold because I saw good experiences posted on the forum (and because Costco didn't stock my size at any of the three local locations). It has a 5 year warranty (3 year free replacement) for $120.
The AGM battery is just a "different version" of the lead acid battery BUT they don't last forever so I find it hard to spend $220+ on a battery that "may" last an extra 12 to 18 months when I can buy a Costco Interstate battery with an excellent replacement warranty for $89. I would love to a OPTIMA (red top) battery but I am a "frugal" (not a cheap azz) car owner.

I always replace batteries when they get into the 4-5 year age because I don't need a dead battery and end up stranded..... Cheap insurance on a job that is easy to DIY.
Old 07-25-17, 10:00 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

The extra reserve is what applies to my situation vs longevity. They do not last twice as long but they do tend to last longer.

There are a few distinct advantages of an absorbed glass-mat battery versus a lead-acid battery:
  1. An AGM battery has a lower internal resistance than a flooded lead-acid battery, which allows faster recharge.
  2. The AGM battery doesn't produce nor expel hydrogen/oxygen gasses like the flooded lead-acid battery. Therefore, it doesn't have any electrolyte or water loss.
  3. When comparing the same group size battery, AGM batteries allow additional plate surface area. More plate surface area = high ratings in cold cranking amps (CCA) and/or reserve capacity (RC).
  4. AGM batteries do not exhibit terminal corrosion. No corrosion means less battery maintenance.
Old 07-25-17, 10:05 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The extra reserve is what applies to my situation vs longevity. They do not last twice as long but they do tend to last longer.
Thank you, Lexuslsguy. That is interesting to know. Is it still common to have to add water to batteries? I don't think I've ever added water to a car battery ever since I began driving 22 years ago and honestly I never checked. Maybe I should have but by the time each battery needed replacing it was already 4+ years old and doubtful if some water would have made a difference.
Old 07-25-17, 11:16 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you, Lexuslsguy. That is interesting to know. Is it still common to have to add water to batteries? I don't think I've ever added water to a car battery ever since I began driving 22 years ago and honestly I never checked. Maybe I should have but by the time each battery needed replacing it was already 4+ years old and doubtful if some water would have made a difference.
Most lead acid batteries I have checked after a few years could use a top-off. Use distilled water if you do. If you are in a particulary dry and hot climate I'm sure it helps.
Old 07-25-17, 11:29 AM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

About a year ago, we had a spirited discussion on battery replacement. For those of you who have a keen interest in this subject, that thread might be interesting reading.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...w-battery.html
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (07-26-17)
Old 07-26-17, 10:25 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

my car still in the dealership right now, and my battery need to be replaces. the dealership put it on with new battery for 190 with additional 10 percents discount.
Old 08-08-17, 03:19 PM
drew05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my battery with a 24 sold at costco. Fits perfectly.