LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I have 2007 ls460 with sticky and cracked door panels and dash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 05:37 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Tulsa as well. I dealt with Fowler Toyota, wasn't an overall pleasant experience until I reached the right person. Lot of voicemails that weren't returned. Okie weather just melts these dashes! Wish you the best of luck. If the Tulsa dealer gives you crap, try calling the Toyota number I listed above instead of Lexus.

Originally Posted by Dx3
I spoke to my dealer last week and he told me to bring my 08 in so they could take a look and see what they can do for me. So we will see...
Old 10-23-17, 05:38 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Dx3: It would be on prior page, LOL. Here's the Toyota number: 800-331-4331
Old 10-23-17, 05:49 AM
Vito
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky dash & door panels

Same issue on a mid-year 2007 LS that didn't appear until about 2015, although it is garage-kept here in Georgia. The local dealer inspected and approved replacement of dash & arm rests but wasn't too encouraging about a timeline to get parts. At one point I explained to the general manager of the dealership the "warranty" on my 15 year loyalty to the brand and his dealership was about to expire. Dash was replaced in early 2017 but there are now issues with the A/C controls which I suspect is a loose connecter in the dash. The arm rests are still original & waiting. My experience is, it depends a lot on the service manager. I've gone through four with three that demonstrated the spirit of Lexus and one that requires I negotiate every issue. New Tesla model S is on order.
Old 10-23-17, 12:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

So you called Toyota about an issue with your Lexus and got satisfaction that way?
Old 10-23-17, 03:02 PM
Vito
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vito
Same issue on a mid-year 2007 LS that didn't appear until about 2015, although it is garage-kept here in Georgia. The local dealer inspected and approved replacement of dash & arm rests but wasn't too encouraging about a timeline to get parts. At one point I explained to the general manager of the dealership the "warranty" on my 15 year loyalty to the brand and his dealership was about to expire. Dash was replaced in early 2017 but there are now issues with the A/C controls which I suspect is a loose connecter in the dash. The arm rests are still original & waiting. My experience is, it depends a lot on the service manager. I've gone through four with three that demonstrated the spirit of Lexus and one that requires I negotiate every issue. New Tesla model S is on order.
Just to be clear, all of my business / complaints have been with the Lexus dealer. I made no mention of Toyota dealer.
Old 10-23-17, 05:19 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

If that question is for me, NO! I have an old LS400 but bought a 2009 Camry Hybrid. I think you can go via Toyota as well if these Lexus people are being clowns. It's worth a try, no?

Originally Posted by sktn77a
So you called Toyota about an issue with your Lexus and got satisfaction that way?
Old 10-23-17, 06:34 PM
PhilDWebb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have just bought a 2008 LS460 in the last few weeks.
I happened to stumble on this thread but am very interested in finding out more as I too am suffering from the armrest (all 4) and also the lower door post between from and back doors. It looks likes it slowly melting away.
I am not the original owner (3rd) and am wondering if I might be covered somehow since it seems this is s factory defect.
I actually have an appointment in the morning to take the car in to a dealership to have some real covered regarding a "Potential fuel pressure sensor leak" issue.
Should I ask them about the melting rubber inside the car? Any code words I should use?
Thanks,.
Phil
Old 10-23-17, 07:35 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilDWebb
Should I ask them about the melting rubber inside the car? Any code words I should use?
Thanks,.
Phil
Of course. No special vocabulary. Replacement has to be approved by Lexus, not the dealer.
Old 10-23-17, 07:45 PM
PhilDWebb
Driver

Originally Posted by jud149
Of course. No special vocabulary. Replacement has to be approved by Lexus, not the dealer.
Thanks. I'll ask them tomorrow to see what can be done. But as far as anyone knows a multi-owner car does not invalidate any warranty for this melting issue?
Thanks
Phil
Old 10-25-17, 01:28 PM
PhilDWebb
Driver

Originally Posted by jud149
Before I arrived the dealer I called the Toyota number listed above and they patched me over to Lexus.
I explained the issue and he said the enhanced warranty for the issue was only on 2007 model and not 2008 model like I have.
I mentioned that it must be a issue since it's on all four arm rest etc. he said show it to the dealer as they are their "eyes and ears" on the matter and will know what to do.

I had the recall taken care of regarding the potential fuel leak at sensor.
Dealer took pics of the arm rest and center post lower interior goop and said Lexus would be contacting me about this. Will update when I have more info.
Old 10-25-17, 01:47 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilDWebb
Thanks. I'll ask them tomorrow to see what can be done. But as far as anyone knows a multi-owner car does not invalidate any warranty for this melting issue?
Thanks
Phil
Lexus installed new door panels and glove compartment door on my '11 LS at no expense to me and I'm the second owner. Bought the car from a Lexus dealer (CPO).
Old 10-27-17, 07:32 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
2007 and they won't cover? Not good. I had to go back twice to get mine approved.. First SA didn't see it melting. It took it in on a HOT day while the handles were liquid.. All 4 panels were approved.
I wish the dash would've been approved, too. It is not sticky, but it discoloring/white pasty on the bottom part near the radio/glove compartment.

The door handles REALLY makes the car look dated. My car is a Late 2006 build.. 1st owner.
I think I’ve reached Stage 3 of deterioration..
Cracked pieces.. foam showing
New cracks showing up

New cracks showing up

called the dealer to make sure I’m on the list. He said yes, but expect the replacement maybe next year. Kind of sad about it. Makes the car look cheap. Thinking whether to sell the car before the brake actuator malfunctions again...

Last edited by joedaddy1; 10-27-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-28-17, 06:38 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

You'll probably get $2000-$3000 less with the door panels in their present condition. Nobody wants a luxury car that looks like sh_t! I'd hold out for the replacements.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (10-29-17)
Old 10-28-17, 04:57 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bdazzler
I'm in Tulsa as well. I dealt with Fowler Toyota, wasn't an overall pleasant experience until I reached the right person. Lot of voicemails that weren't returned. Okie weather just melts these dashes! Wish you the best of luck. If the Tulsa dealer gives you crap, try calling the Toyota number I listed above instead of Lexus.
I appreciate the information, thank you. I have brought all my Lexus vehicles to Lexus of Tulsa for years and have a good relationship with them. The 2 people I spoke with said they would do their best to get my issue fixed. They said it's about a $10,000 fix for Lexus and although the initial time period expired, they are taking it on a case by case basis. I will let you know when I get an update.
Old 10-30-17, 04:26 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

I think you're wasting your time trying to negotiate with the dealer and/or service manager. Call Toyota at the number I provided and let them know what's going on. What those people do is check your VIN to make sure your vehicle is included in the extended warranty then put you on a LIST. If you're on the LIST then the dealer can go squat for all you care, that means they, or some other dealer, has to do the work for free and will get reimbursed by Toyota (Lexus). Toyota is the parent and Lexus is probably just set up as an entity for tax reasons....

Originally Posted by Dx3
I appreciate the information, thank you. I have brought all my Lexus vehicles to Lexus of Tulsa for years and have a good relationship with them. The 2 people I spoke with said they would do their best to get my issue fixed. They said it's about a $10,000 fix for Lexus and although the initial time period expired, they are taking it on a case by case basis. I will let you know when I get an update.

Quick Reply: I have 2007 ls460 with sticky and cracked door panels and dash.