LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460L Starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 09:06 AM
phanr8541
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460L Starter problem?

I recently did an aftermarket air suspension install (ksport struts and airlift management) on my 2007 LS460L. Upon finishing the install, I went to start my car and all i hear is one click. All the electrical in the car were working (radio, dash lights up, etc). Even the air suspension worked, I was able to air up and down. Checked the battery and also tried a battery from another car, but it still did not start. I got quoted $700-$800 from a couple small shop in SOCAL for a rebuilt OEM starter and labor. I am curious if it could be a cable that got disconnect, relay, or a blown fuse. I had no sign of starting prior to the air suspension install. Any information will help.
Old 07-10-17, 09:39 AM
dnthrtme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are getting one click that could mean a couple different things, basically the starter is getting power and the pinion with the gear is coming out and hitting the flywheel (thats the click) but its not turning, because it cant get enough power so it wont engage. You have a connection issue whether its at the ground on the battery or where its grounded on the frame, or a connection issue at the positive on the battery or where it goes to the starter, i would first pull off the cables on the battery and clean both of those, (especially the inside) and tighten them, assure yourself you cant move them with alot of pressure from your hand, if you can you need to get lead battery shims. I would next check the connection from the power on the starter, even just a tad bit loose and it wont work, disconnect positive from battery before you do this, remove the positive on starter use a wire brush and clean all parts of where it connects then using a ratchet tighten it and assure yourself it cant move, reconnect positive on battery post. Ive ran into this issue on several vehicles including a Saturn aura and a toyota avalon

Goodluck!
Old 07-10-17, 11:16 AM
phanr8541
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know where the location of the starter connection is so I can check
Old 07-11-17, 12:23 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't be able to see it. It's under passenger side exhaust manifold. My guess would be the starter. Same thing happen to me. You can do it yourself.
Old 07-11-17, 12:46 PM
KingDabid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the same symptom that I ran into. I checked my battery connections, performed a battery test, and tried jumping the car and still only got the one click. I just finished changing my starter a couple of days ago using a tutorial on here. A pain in the butt, but pretty easy to do.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-17, 01:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

A single click is generally the battery relay solenoid closing but insufficient battery power to energize the starter motor. Try charging the battery fully first, leaving the charger connected to the battery and starting the car (make sure all accessible connections are clean and tight). If it still doesn't start then its most likely not the battery. At least that will confirm that the likely culprit is the starter.