LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traded in my '16 LS for a '17 Audi S7

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 03:51 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Rhambler - what made you decide to trade in your new LS? What was it about the LS that you didn't like? Also, if you don't mind what did the dealership give you for the 16 LS. Please PM me if you don't want to post. Congrats on the new car.
Old 07-01-17, 07:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got bored of it to be very honest. The LS was also the first V8 I've ever owned and, while it was a huge step-up in HP versus what I've previously owned, power is like a horrible addiction: I wanted more, lol. There's never enough now.

My desired attributes are: comfortable, roomy, plush, quiet and very very very fast. The S7 fit the bill perfectly. Granted, it's not as quiet as the LS as that car is like driving around in a tomb, but this is extremely quiet and refined for the amount of power it has and suits me just fine. I don't want nor need a fast car that drives like I'm trying to lap the Nuremberg. I wanted a FAST CAR that is also comfortable and this is it. The LS is not it.

And my dashboard was starting to "creak and rattle" more as the summer temperatures arrived this year. Just didn't feel like dealing with again after having to get my headliner removed to find a roof rattle last year.

And the payoff was just shy of $56k, which they paid for in full. Had 13.5k miles.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-01-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Yeah the LS doesn't feel fast or super powerful at all. Honestly I think it's the gearing, my LS400 was the "fastest" feeling LS I've had and it only had 290 hp, but it had a 5 speed not tuned for fuel economy.

The dash creaks are really an issue I agree. I've actually learned how to disassemble parts of the dash and I've got them sorted. But, I've had every door panel off, disassembled the console, shouldn't have to do that on a car of this caliber...

The rolling tomb is my thing, still love the car but that part of it does disappoint me. That actually makes the creaks worse, because all you hear are the creaks because the car is so quiet.

Not sure what I'll get next or if I will keep this. I really like Audis, as you noticed they ride well while they're still sporty, very refined but their leases are terrible. Their interiors are a little austere for me too unless you get up to the A8. I like the new Q7, which I would buy vs lease to get the accelerated depreciation.

For an example how terrible their leases are, $67,000 A6 Prestige lease payment was $20 more than my $80,000 LS460.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-01-17 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 09:48 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That's why you buy an well taken care off lease cpo and let that first owner eat that largest depreciation. You can still write off the business percentage. That is if you can bring yourself to buying used.

Generation 5 8 models are about to come out. It is worth the wait if considering a new A or S8 for the tech.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 07-01-17 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 11:44 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, Audi does not usually stack their residuals, nor give money factors lower than 2%. Well, I say that anecdotally, but after reading Edmund's forum on Audi leasing (which is filled with people asking for residuals and MFs), I get that sense.

Another thing I noticed is that Audi will RAISE the money factor on models in high demand. Again, I say this from Edmund's, which had a few Audi salesman or finance types offering advice, but the Q7 had a money factor for tier A credit at OVER 5%. That's insane whereas other models had lower tier A Audi Financial Services money factors, like for the S7. I can only surmise that Audi does this because they can. Supply and demand as there's no shortage of people buying that Q7 from what I saw at the dealership. That car and the all-new A4 seemed very, very popular. That's all I saw people wanting to test drive.

The only benefit to non-inflated residuals is that come lease end, your appraised value might actually be slightly higher than the payoff.

The residual on the S7 was 54% by the way, which actually wasn't bad (I didn't get Audicare which would have bumped it to 55% because there's only two services that I would pay for, otherwise it would have made financial sense). So I'm paying 46% whereas my Lexus was 40%. That 6% is a big difference per month if you factor in the rent charge and tax per month. It's almost $150 more per month or thereabouts.

In any case, this car is just insane. I drove it again this morning and the feeling of acceleration at any speed is just mind-boggling. I've never grinned so much EVER while driving. In AUTO or Comfort mode, it's silent almost. It's amazing when you floor it you really can't hear anything. However, in dynamic mode the sound that comes out is just bone tingling. The overboost pops and crackles makes it sound like a formula one car in dynamic mode.

I've been driving in AUTO mode for the most part and it works just fine for me. Eventually I'll tune it to the individual mode that I want, which would be comfort mode suspension (lol), with dynamic mode acceleration and SOUND.

One gripe, though, is that the stereo buttons on the steering wheel are on the right side. I keep flipping modes as I'm so used to it on the left side like almost all Japaneses cars are. Also, you can't just change preset channels in either direction from the steering wheel. It's like a Ford Explorer where you can see a list in the instrument cluster, scroll to it then select it. I hate that. There is a programmable button on the steering wheel that you can program it to skip to the next channel, but it's only one direction. In any case, that's a minor gripe I'll eventually get use to as I've been driving with the stereo off for the most part anyways lol.

I have to share some pictures of the Alcantara. What a huge difference that makes on the looks. The suede comes down on the pillars and is on the door inserts. Man, looks amazing.

Also, the hatch space. Wow, the seats fold down. I can actually throw in my mountain bike back there.

Back seat space is three inches less than the LS. It's much tighter. Well, three inches less from knee to front seat with the front seat in my driving position, although that position may change as I'm still fiddling. My knees still has a an inch and a half, but nothing like the LS (I'm 5,10), where it is almost five inches between knee and seat. Still enough space where it doesn't feel claustrophobic, but it cannot compare.

I highly recommend this car. But, 2017 and 2018 are probably the last years for a V8 S7. I'm pretty sure the 2019 S7 will have the Panamera 450 HP V6 engine and you'll have to spend over $110k-$120k for the RS7 to get the V8. SO NOW IS THE TIME. It's like a undercover race car that can silently and comfortably glide over bumps when called for, or blast up freeway on ramps like pure lightning. I can't stop grinning when I drive it lol.

Oh, another thing, my insurance. It went up. I have a perfect driving record, but my insurance jumped $50 a month over the LS lol.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-01-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 01:47 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it.

My wife was considering an A7 to replace her Jag at some point, so I looked at them. I liked the interior and Audi seems to have improved reliability significantly. The S7 should be a great driver's car.

Last edited by Nospinzone; 07-01-17 at 03:03 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 07-01-17, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
That's why you buy an well taken care off lease cpo and let that first owner eat that largest depreciation. You can still write off the business percentage. That is if you can bring yourself to buying used.

Generation 5 8 models are about to come out. It is worth the wait if considering a new A or S8 for the tech.
Its just nowhere near as tax advantageous, essentially after the tax savings I'm paying $475 a month to drive my brand new LS.

Only way I would possibly consider buying vs leasing is a big SUV because of the ability to take accelerated depreciation in the first year, otherwise it just makes no sense for me to buy vs lease.
Old 07-01-17, 02:22 PM
NVRLAND
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations! The car looks absolutely stunning. I've been debating on trading my LS in as well and deciding between a Tesla 90D or a Audi S7. Both quite different cars.
Old 07-02-17, 10:16 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

congrats, the s7 is a awesome car, I test drove a rs7 and literally I was blown away on how fast these things are.
Old 07-02-17, 10:23 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some additional tidbits in regards to direct comparison of features to my LS.

But first, good god, this thing is just a beast. I've been driving in dynamic mode more and I just can't stop flooring it lol.

1. The blind spot monitor is eons better than Lexus. It's on the inside edge of the mirror housing versus being on the outside edge of the mirror itself on my old Lexus. This minor difference is really nice as I can see it in my peripheral vision without having to turn my entire head. In fact, the position and size (you can also adjust the brightness) allows me to see BOTH blind spot indicators without turning my head and all in my peripheral vision.

2. The Bose stereo in this thing sucks. The base stereo in my Lexus was better. I mean, it's not bad, but it sure doesn't sound like 600+ watts versus my 200+ watt base stereo. I also hate the controls. The volume **** is on the center console towards the passenger. You cannot easily change channels like you can in the Lexus. But, apple car play is awesome so I probably won't miss it as that's all I've been using.

3. There are no rattles, anywhere. Even with the hard dynamic mode suspension and roads with potholes bigger than manhole covers, this thing is as tight as a drum. My LS 460 dashboard flexed and creaked the very first dang day I drove it off the lot. Very nice fit and finish I must say and better than Lexus so far.

4. The TPMS is weird and not as good. It doesn't show pressure at all. In fact, there is no TPMS. I spent 30 mins trying to find the air pressure to adjust it more to my liking and I nearly went nuts trying to find it. Well, I looked in the manual and guess what, there is none lol. You fill up the air to the prescribed pressure. Once you do that, you go into the menu and set the tire memory and it remembers what you set it at. If any wheel starts to lose pressure more so than the others, then it will alarm. It's freaking weird and frankly I much preferred the simple show me the values.

5. Google maps satellite navigation is just way way better than the traditional Lexus maps. Seeing the 3D perspective of an actual satellite image just makes recognition 100x better. Lexus needs to add this ASAP.

6. The instrument cluster just offers way, way, way more information. It can also show Google Earth navigation between the dials, which is just wicked. I wish this had the full virtual dashboard of the newer audis, but even this old setup is 100x better than anything Lexus has imo.

7. The seats are very comfortable. One thing I like better versus the Lexus seat is the lack of horizontal seams in the Audi. While the Lexus seats are comfortable, every now and then those horizontal seams would annoy me. No idea why they stitched the seats like that. My previous car had vertical seams that didn't create pressure points and the Audi seats are the same way, much better imo.

8. The looks. People eyeball this car like there's no tomorrow. I was absolutely invisible in the Lexus, which actually isn't a bad thing and something I liked, but I never expected people to stare at this thing like they have broken necks.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-02-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-02-17, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually find when I drive Audis that I don't see the blind spot monitor like I do on the Lexus and the other cars I have/have had with it on the mirrors. What's worse is cars with it inside the door panel, like Hondas and Acuras. I'm sure that's something I would get used to.

Surprised the stereo isn't as good as the base one in the LS, which isn't very good IMHO.

Tech is WAY better than anything Lexus has, and just think your S7 is last generation Audi tech. Lexus is so far behind in that arena.
Old 07-02-17, 04:29 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, the stereo just sucks, but the B&O is like $5k I think. Forget that, it's not that important. It's just a general lack of bass. I think the subwoofer is just insufficient for the large interior volume of the hatch.

I agree that this model, from 2012 I think, is way ahead in tech. It's pretty amazing at the differences. I love the instrument cluster. I wish I had the prestige that would have given me the HUD, which can be customized as well, but oh well. The newer models with the virtual HUD is even better. I don't like the LC and soon to be LS HUD. It's too small. Seeing the real estate in my car and the virtual HUD just blows it away IMO. You have to constantly switch modes, press buttons to see what can be seen in an AUDI at a glance.

I never had stop and go cruise control before, but this works great. A bit unnerving at first, but so far so good.

The LED headlights are way brighter as well. It's a matrix LED and it just shoots out a huge beam that's extra wide.

But christ almighty, the on-demand power is mind boggling. The thrust in this thing is just crazy. At any speed and at any time, even the slightest of throttle depression beyond "normal driving" will throw you back into your seat. It's addicting. I never wanted to drive my Lexus just to drive it, even when I first got it. Now, I'm finding excuses to drive everywhere and nowhere lol. In dynamic mode it sounds as fast as it goes. It comfort mode, it's like an assassin: it's silent, but still fast.
Old 07-08-17, 09:13 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Just got my windows tinted. Same no tint, llumar blue 80 I had on my Lexus.

This really is the fastest car I've ever owned. The LS has a reported 5.4 second to 60. This car is a reported 4.5 seconds. The difference in feeling in speed is ginormous. It's huge. It's mind boggling. It's fun. It's addicting. lol. In reality, the Lexus is probably close to 6 seconds and the Audi to 4, but it's like the Pacific Ocean between these two cars in terms of pure thrust. There's just no comparison how that difference feels.

Old 07-08-17, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looking good!

I recall an argument we had about turbochargers. The super fun acceleration that you're talking about, and the huge difference in feel is due in a large part to the turbocharged engine in your S7 vs the NA engine in your LS. Yes theres a power difference, but that seat of the pants thrill you're enjoying is because of the turbo and the low end torque. Not so bad after all eh?
Old 07-08-17, 12:17 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, however, I also mentioned I don't mind V8tt, just not some high-strung V6tt due to the lag and weak output. I wanted the NA 471 HP V8 because I would have purchased that car and kept it for ten years. My plans are gone and that's why I'm driving this.

This car has no lag and would probably last longer versus a V6tt because of two features: (1) it has low boost, not much is needed to pressurize a V8 to higher power versus the pressures needed for a comparably-powered V6 (less stress and less lag) and (2) the turbos are between the banks, with reverse flow headers, unlike the Lexus turbos, with long pipes and lag. The short distance from the exhaust manifold to the turbos almost completely eliminates lag. The lexus turbos are traditionally placed outside of the engines, low near the traditional exhaust manifold locations, which requires extensive plumbing.

Another aspect that makes this car feel so fast is the prodigious grip from the QUATTRO AWD. It just jumps off the line like there's no tomorrow.

Lexus needs a V8 in the LS. That is literally the main reason I didn't even consider it and why I'm driving this. I see the new Lexus and to me it compares to the CT6 more than the S550 and I don't care what anyone else says; that's how I see it. It needs non-sport model that can kick out 450+ HP. In fact, 475 HP is what is really needed to stay up with the competition instead of being so far behind them. The new 2018 Audi is reported to be pushing 470+ HP in a non-S model. The 2018 S560 is going to push 476 HP. It's not an AMG model, just a base V8 model.

Quick Reply: Traded in my '16 LS for a '17 Audi S7