LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Interesting reason for my wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 12:50 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Interesting reason for my wind noise

I bought a 2010 460L in February that I always felt had some excessive wind noise coming out of the passenger area. In early May, I was rear-ended and my car is unfortunately still in the shop... but while it was there I told my technician about the windnoise and the famous JMcraney fix (Jeff was gracious enough to send me 2 metal templates).

Last night he emailed me saying they had identified the wind noise issue. His direct quote: "One issue we found with the passenger side is the rubber weatherstrip was not installed properly on the front edge of the glass. The glass was on the outside of the molding. You can see the weatherstrip on image 35, the drivers side was correct as you can see on image 40. We will remove the weatherstrip, place in the sun to warm, and attempt to restrech the rubber so that it will tuck properly."

I have read almost the entire thread on the JMcraney fix and never once saw this where the weatherstrip is installed incorrectly... I wonder what caused this and am excited to have it fixed because now the car will ride as quietly as it should at highway speeds. Assuming the pics show up in the order I attached them, the first pic is the driver side and the 2nd is the passenger. You can see the weatherstrip sticking out on the passenger pic.

Opinions on whether this was a Lexus error at manufacturing or something else?
Attached Thumbnails Interesting reason for my wind noise-driver-side.jpg   Interesting reason for my wind noise-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 06-21-17, 08:10 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmmm. I'll have to look at my 2010 L as well. Will respond later.
Old 06-22-17, 02:06 PM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow! I have closely followed the "wind noise" issue that some of these cars experience for more than 10 years now and I have seen a lot of pictures but none like yours.

Your repair technician has had the opportunity to look at this closely so his opinion counts a lot more than mine. I am handicapped by the resolution of your pictures and the lack of 3D.

Your question about what caused this is an excellent one. I think it is very unlikely that this was caused by a manufacturing error. I am confident that Lexus has controls and pride in their manufacturing that would prevent this. It is impossible to know from the information that you have shared, what might be the cause. If I wanted to cause something like this I would try closing the window on a rag or towel.

As I said, your technician is in a good position to judge whether this would cause a wind noise problem. But, in my opinion, I am not confident that this would cause a wind noise problem.

Your pictures provide some very good information as to how well the trim pieces adhered to the car. When you look at the trim adhesive residue pattern you can see that the passenger side did not stick well. The trim comes with a contact adhesive on it and when it is applied, with some pressure, it is designed to provide a very good seal for the area under the trim. Because of tolerance issues some of the cars will not allow the trim adhesive to contact the mating surface resulting in a very poor seal. It is not a problem with the trim - it's a problem with the car. That is the problem that has caused the wind noise in so many cars.

So, what should you do to fix all this?

1. You should replace the deformed window seal with a new part. I believe these seals are less than $100 and readily available from Lexus and Toyota dealers. Sorry, I don't know the part number.

2. You should get 2 new black plastic trim pieces, one for each side. Clean the trim mating surfaces thoroughly and apply the new trim pieces as they would be applied at the factory, without any additional adhesive. You just peel off the tape to expose the contact adhesive and press them on firmly. It doesn't make any difference whether you use the trim with or without the "fin." I think the only trim parts available are the ones with the "fins" on them and I believe the part number for both types are identical. You should be able the get new trim pieces from any Lexus or Toyota dealer and typically is in the $13 each price range. I can provide you with the part #s for the trim pieces if you need them.

If you get good results with this - case closed.

Your wind noise problem may return after a few days or weeks or months because the trim may separate. If you have that problem, you will have to do a more aggressive repair. The method that I suggested is very effective and durable but there are lots of other ways to do it too.
Old 06-22-17, 04:45 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Any thoughts on this solution, Jeff? It does seem to have merit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-down-fix.html
Old 06-22-17, 05:25 PM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Any thoughts on this solution, Jeff? It does seem to have merit.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-down-fix.html
I can't argue with anything that works. Many people try doing the trim seal a little different and some don't get the best results - I call it technical arrogance (I have a major problem with that myself) - because they think they can do it better or easier. By using double sided tape it is the same problem as with the original piece - it's very difficult to get a good seal because the surfaces are misaligned and you can't make the double sided tape contact the mating surface completely. About the only way that you can get it completely sealed is to seal everything before you put the trim on. There are many ways to get a proper seal, other than the way I suggested but I don't believe it would be possible to get a better seal. The repair that I suggested gets a good seal and a pristine appearance.

And you have to keep in mind about noise is the presence of noise (two or more noise sources at one time). If you stand someone in front of a 4 engine airplane with all 4 engines running at the same power and you cut the power to 1 engine, hardly any human can distinguish a change in the sound level. If you do the same thing but cut 2 engines at the same time only about 50% of people can tell that the sound level has changed and no one would tell you the level had been cut by half. That is why you often have to do the trim on both sides before you realize an improvement.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-27-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 07:35 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

The body shop is replacing the black "fins" that were on the car (just re-using the same ones and adding more adhesive). They're also fixing the weather stripping. We'll see how it goes, if it's not much better I will order the new "fins" and see what happens.