LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 10:43 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by waterdude
There is no visible difference in the door. Watch this youtube video for a demo of the auto door closer feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKrgJjF2fAU
Hmmmm....Maybe it was not standard on the "L" in 2007 ? I was wondering if there was a dfference in the door jam or anything that can be visually seen.

Maybe I have the feature but, it's just not working.
Old 06-08-17, 10:53 AM
waterdude
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe there were no changes in "L" standard features between 2007 and 2008. You might have a bad fuse?

See following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-problem.html

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Hmmmm....Maybe it was not standard on the "L" in 2007 ? I was wondering if there was a dfference in the door jam or anything that can be visually seen.

Maybe I have the feature but, it's just not working.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 10:57 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I believe there were no changes in "L" standard features between 2007 and 2008. You might have a bad fuse?

See following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-problem.html
Thanks another project for the weekend !
Old 06-08-17, 11:08 AM
waterdude
Rookie

No problem! Hopefully, someone can confirm the power door closing were standard on 2007 L before you go hunting for the fuse.

Thanks another project for the weekend !
Old 06-08-17, 11:28 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

We got the L because that is what the LS was the got dropped into our lap. Had our friend sold me her SWB 2010 LS 460 AWD and bought a new one I would be driving a SWB. I now have a L (which I love) and have driven her SWB on several long road trips and given the choice I would take the L every time. I must say that if I was buying a LS 460L with the intension of parking it outside I would hope a friend would tell me I needed to get my head examined. If the DW truly loves you she will understand when you ask her to park her car outside.

Dennis
Old 06-08-17, 11:29 AM
waterdude
Rookie

See attached specification for 2008 LS460 which confirms that the power door closing WAS standard on a 2007 L (states: Items in bold are new for 2008). Good luck with finding the issue with the power door closing, please report back.

No problem! Hopefully, someone can confirm the power door closing were standard on 2007 L before you go hunting for the fuse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2008LS460_sf (1).pdf (130.4 KB, 382 views)
Old 06-08-17, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I don't know that theres any such thing as "too much interior room". I chose not to get the LWB because the SWB barely fits into my garage as it is, and its already a big car. For instance my SWB LS460 and my minivan are exactly the same length, the LWB is 4 inches longer.

I actually just test drove a LWB car for a member here he was looking to buy which was almost identical to my SWB car, same color and all too, no air suspension on either one. Driving they really are almost exactly the same. The extra room in the back in nice, not a must have for me.
Old 06-08-17, 02:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I continue to keep an eye out for a LS460 to upgrade to within a year or so. I'm 6' 5"/300 and one of the things that has made me fall in love with the LS over say a GS is the room. I can take 4 adults similar sized to me in my LS430 and not have to move my drivers seat up to give the person in the rear more room.

That being said, I would think a 460L would be the way to go but I've never been in one. Sometimes when I look at pictures of cars for sale with the L version it looks like way too much room. I'm a little concerned that if my kids ride in the back they'll feel like they way too far away from the front.
You really need to go test drive, or at least test sit, one and preferably with your kids. Then you can really see for yourself. As I recall, back in 2007 you could get everything in a SWB that you could get in an L except for semi-analine interior and rear side window shades.

If there was ONE feature I could have is the Dynamic Cruse control but, Lexus made the feature unavailble to people in the "snow belt" (as it does not work with SNOW on the car)and no models were sold with the feature in 2007-2008 accept for LS600HL. TRUST ME, I did my homework here....

Power door closer standard ? Was it the same in 2007 ?

Mine does not have it, at least I dont know if it does and just doesn't work (or is disable). Is there a visable differnce in the door or anywhere to show if you have the feature ?
You are correct that Lexus did not send any program cars to dealers in the snowbelt with the "Pre-Collision System & Dynamic Radar Cruise Control" option priced at $2850.. However, if you special ordered your car you could get it, and that's what I did.

The soft close doors were part of the "One Touch Open/Close Power Trunk & Power Door Closers" option priced at $395.

And as an aside, the "Intuitive Parking Assist" was a $500 option. Most expensive parlor trick I've ever purchased!
Old 06-08-17, 02:15 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I must say that if I was buying a LS 460L with the intension of parking it outside I would hope a friend would tell me I needed to get my head examined. If the DW truly loves you she will understand when you ask her to park her car outside.

Dennis
LOL....easier said than done. Happy wife, happy life.

The only time I got her to move her car out side is when I bought a brand new 2010 Camaro and that was in Feb 2010 when they weren't common. I will say she drove that one as much as I did so it was kind of a his/her car. Also, my '69 Camaro is taking up one of the spots and without a doubt it will always have a spot in the garage over any car I own.

Last edited by caverman; 06-08-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 04:26 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a '10 L. Here are my thoughts:
1) Who are you trying to make comfortable? If you're concerned based on your height that your seat will be really far back and limit leg room for rear passengers (and you frequently have rear passengers), get the L. Without knowing how old and big your kids are, it's hard to imagine their legroom will be impacted whatsoever in the SWB. The LS in general is a very large car. That being said, you can guarantee there won't be an issue for a rear passenger of any height if you have the L. It's an insane amount of room. I hunted for a 460 for about 18 months and took my wife to see no fewer than 8 460's that I thought I would buy. She didn't like any of them...until we sat in an "L" - and we bought it 2 days later. Even though it's my car, I wanted her to like it because she occasionally drives it. She hated my 430 so I didn't want to have something else that she complained about driving occasionally.
2) I have young kids and the only pain about the L is reaching back from the driver seat to help them out of their car seats. It's a pretty far stretch to reach them. However, I love that it's difficult for them (not impossible) to kick the back of the front seats.
3) I don't live in a major city and never have to do street and/or parallel parking. If I did, I'd probably skip out on an L because I think it would make it easier to consistently park. Again, the LS is already a large car.
4) Someone else commented on the difference in driving the LWB vs. the SWB in "sport" mode. This is only available on cars that have the air suspension FYI.
5) It's 5 extra inches, not 6.
6) Keep an eye out for an L in your area for sale- anywhere from a 2007 to a 2017 and go look at it and take your kids. Even if you're looking for a '07-'09, looking at a newer one ('13 + ) will still give you a general feel for the rear legroom.
7) The extra room in the back comes in handy on road trips for storing bags, etc. without it feeling too cramped for your kids. For me, this is actually a big bonus that I wasn't anticipating.

These additional thoughts are 100% subjective and just my personal opinion.
1) I think the L rides better than the SWB. Others on here have commented that they don't feel a difference, but I have racked up about 1,000 miles in a family member's 2012 SWB and I can tell a difference compared to my 2010 L.
2) I appreciate the feel and look of the semi-anilene leather and the different headliner material in the L. This may be an option on the SWB, but to my knowledge it is standard on the L (my L has nav, Levinson, 19" 5 stars, but no air ride and no rear exec seating package- so it's not the top of the line).
3) I don't like the L in the '07-'12 body unless it has the 19" 5 star wheels. I think a car of that length needs those wheels to improve the stance. Watching an L cruising down the road with those wheels is beautiful thing..!

The good news is you will be happy with a SWB or a LWB 460 because the 460 is just an awesome car. Take your time and find the right car that hits your budget, is a color you like or can live with, and has been really well maintained. I didn't care one way or the other about an "L" and hadn't seen one until the one we bought. Now that I have it, I have a feeling it would be hard to go back to the SWB just because I really appreciate the extra space and think the ride is superior.
The following users liked this post:
caverman (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
2) I have young kids and the only pain about the L is reaching back from the driver seat to help them out of their car seats. It's a pretty far stretch to reach them. However, I love that it's difficult for them (not impossible) to kick the back of the front seats.
This is no joke LOL. In the SWB car your kids will be able to kick the backs of the front seats, in the LWB car its impossible. When I have my kids in my car I have to take their shoes off, or if its just one I have to move the passenger seat up where they can't kick them.

1) I think the L rides better than the SWB. Others on here have commented that they don't feel a difference, but I have racked up about 1,000 miles in a family member's 2012 SWB and I can tell a difference compared to my 2010 L.
Perhaps ever so slightly, but remember the LWB cars almost always have 19" wheels and the SWB cars almost always have 18" wheels, which likely makes up for any benefit the 4.8" longer wheelbase gives you. Like I said, I drove one last week back to back with mine on the same test loop, it had 19s I have 18s and really they were almost identical in terms of ride and feel. If it were an L with 18s, would it be the same? Don't know.

In any event, both ride great and if you weren't constantly comparing the two back to back you would not hurt for any added ride. This is my opinion about the air suspension also.
Old 06-08-17, 06:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Most expensive parlor trick I've ever purchased!
And if that parlor trick actually worked as advertised...I'd be more impressed. Most of the time, you reach into the hat to pull out the rabbit and it ain't there.
Old 06-08-17, 08:37 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm not quite ready to buy yet but this is almost exactly what I would look for. I like the maroon, 5-spoke chrome, and rear spoiler. This one is priced a bit high IMO even though it has low miles..
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460

What is the color of this interior? I would take it with that color but I like the little more tan I've seen.

Last edited by caverman; 06-08-17 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That color isnt maroon, FYI, it's quite red, candy apple red really.

That interior is parchmemt. There isn't a tanner color those years, there is a lighter color, alabaster.

Also that's an L without the semi aniline leather option we had discussed being standard on the L, look at the door armrests.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-08-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 11:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
So, based on the comments a L version automatically comes with the ML stereo and Nav?
No , my 08 L has self park, park assist, air ride , semi aniline leather and a bunch of other options but no Mark Levinson...big let down

For me the L is for the exterior looks, the 460 is a big car but the L is a really big car, and I like that

Quick Reply: Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?