LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead battery in my 2012 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 08:51 AM
JZog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery in my 2012 LS460

I was wondering if the X2 Power battery was the better battery to use in this vehicle due largely to all of the bells and whistles that require power. Naturally, the battery conked out on me on Memorial Day weekend, and retail stores that may have this particular battery are no where near me. Help!
Old 05-29-17, 10:12 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

As a replacement, I would get an AGM battery. I also like to use Interstate as I have had very good luck with the brand, but experiences vary across the different brands.
Old 05-29-17, 02:59 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The LS460's charging system is designed for a flooded-cell battery, and not an AGM battery. Usually there is no problem using AGM batteries in these cars except in extreme climates. If you don't have a requirement as to low outgassing/spillage then there is little or no advantage to using an AGM battery.
Old 05-29-17, 03:16 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The LS460's charging system is designed for a flooded-cell battery, and not an AGM battery. Usually there is no problem using AGM batteries in these cars except in extreme climates. If you don't have a requirement as to low outgassing/spillage then there is little or no advantage to using an AGM battery.
Thanks for the info ... I have put them into our RX330 (the forum posted to originally) and have experienced better life/performance (had issues with wet cell and not lasting as long as AGM).

Last edited by cdnewton; 05-29-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 05:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wet cell. I remember a thread about this a year or more ago. Definitely not AGM!
Old 05-30-17, 08:21 AM
dnthrtme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dont listen to them!

First of all I wouldnt recommend x2power batteries because I've seen SO SO many of them fail. It's basically an odyssey battery rebranded x2power and sold by batteries plus.
I work at an interstate battery retail store and I would recommend an AGM interstate battery (mt7-34) they're much more reliable than an x2power battery and if you were to have
any issues, you dont need a receipt for the warranty. Ive installed many of these and have yet to have one of them come back bad. I have one in my vehicle and I've never had any issues.
For the people saying you can't have them installed if the battery was previously wet-filled, you can and nothing bad will happen. But if the battery was previously AGM and you put in a wet-filled, two things can happen.
One is the battery will gas and this can be hazardous if its in an enclosed area, and two is being a wet-filled starting battery isnt made to deep cycle, you can prematurely kill the battery.

Long story short I would recommend a quality AGM battery, and I would avoid ones lacking quality such as the ones sold at walmart, fleetfarm, oreillys, batteries plus etc.

**This is just my opinion and what I have experienced, anyone can feel free to disagree!

Last edited by dnthrtme1; 05-30-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 08:44 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been using Die Hard (AGM) batteries on my ES and GX for the past 6+ years with absolutely no issues. On GX it lasted little more than 6 years and replaced that with another Die Hard (never failed in first crank). ES parked outside, snow or shine always cranks with first start.

Once LS battery die, will go with Die Hard. Please don't cheap out on battery. These cars are sophisticated and needs very accurate amount to voltage/current flow. Constantly feeding fluctuating or low voltage will eventually cause issues with electronics.

Similar analogy can be drawn from high end audio components and dedicated power conditioners used at home/studies.
Old 05-30-17, 08:53 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Everstart Maxx sold by Walmart is a good battery. Consumer reports has consistently rated them in the top 5 or less for a long while now. I used one of them in my LS430 for years. They are made Johnson Controls just like Interstate. But not all JC batteries are good batteries. Some are real junk. The Mega-tron plus by Interstate is probably their best. The Bosh AGM's are also very nice. Optima is kind of hit and miss. Many love them but I think their quality has gone down. Varta (also JC) makes excellent batteries used in many German cars. I recently replaced my battery in my A8 as I am a bit **** about this. I replace every 3 - 4 years even if the battery does not show any signs of failure. Small price to pay and have not had battery fail on me for 10 + years. Anyway, they are very nice AGM batteries but not cheap. I paid $230 for mine. Damn thing is really big. I think it weighs like nearly 70 lbs.

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...etn=&find=find

AGM Advantages
Spill-proof through acid encapsulation in matting technology
High specific power, low internal resistance, responsive to load
Up to 5 times faster charge than with flooded technology
Better cycle life than with flooded systems
Water retention (oxygen and hydrogen combine to produce water)
Vibration resistance due to sandwich construction
Stands up well to cold temperature
Less prone to sulfation if not regularly topping charged
Has less electrolyte and lead than the flooded version

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 05-30-17 at 09:09 AM.