LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY and care of LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 10:04 AM
anthony1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY and care of LS 460

Guys,
I value this forum a lot.I read the stickies and gone through the FAQ and DIY thread. Without it, I would not get this car. I just got a 2008 LS460 with 76K on it. It's clean in and out.
Already registered with Lexus driver. Found that the 3rd owner took it to mostly a local tire/garage place for basic maintenance.
I'm a DIY guy. I've done an engine swap on 95 4runer with a 3.4 engine. Replaced control arms and valve cover gaskets on E39 540I to name a few things. I realized that every vehicle has their own little things that normal DIY method may not apply.
Ex. Bleeding the brake fluids on this vehicle is not the same as most vehicles.

What else can LS460 Gurus think of to warn guys like me from messing up this car?
I guess the way the engine was covered send a message not to mess with it.
No comedian wanna be, please.
Thank you.

Last edited by anthony1; 05-03-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 12:57 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When it comes to DIY on the 460 I have no interest and I'm not mechanically incline to attempt. I recently purchased a set of hood struts and I had them installed at a small garage for $20. I've read about bleeding the brake fluid on the 460 could created other problems if not done right. I've read on this forum many times of others attempting to DIY and created other problems But to all the DIY'er and those who are mechanically inclined to do your own work on the 460 thumbs up.
The following users liked this post:
anthony1 (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 02:20 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Like you I've always DIYd my cars which have included an LS400, LS430 and a GS350.
From simple brakes and control arms all the way up to timing belts on the 400 and 430.

I've been freshening up my 460 for the last two months and when it comes to mechanicals it's regular stuff.

As mentioned, our electronic brake actuator needs a computer to bleed (OEM style).
Transmission oil changes are also partially computerized to verify the full level after. I did my GS by draining then replacing an equal amount of fluid using a pump.
A few members including myself have noted that you never remove a door bulb using a metal tool as shorting that circuit affects the door computer and results in the light behaving strangely going forward (seems to put out 9v rather than 12).

Otherwise I've found the build and mechanical design to be as good and better than the older models.

RE: the engine covers, I honestly believe they did it because without the covers, the engine is just plain ugly.
With so many ECUs and so much wiring visible, it's just not a pretty scene in there when it's "undressed".
I kinda miss the look of vacuum hoses and tubing on the old models.
anthony1 (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 04:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

The LS is no harder to work on than any other car. In many cases, it's easier. There is no Voodoo or witchcraft involved, nor is unicorn dust required. I've done the water pump, spark plugs, brakes and rotors, radiator, belts, hoses and taken my dash and console apart. In all cases, it was straightforward. Keeping in mind that many of the LS parts and so on are shared by the Tundra, and other Toyota platforms. At the end of the day, it's a RWD, NA V8.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
anthony1 (05-03-17), mckellyb (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 04:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony1
No comedian wanna be, please.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by roadfrog
There is no Voodoo or witchcraft involved, nor is unicorn dust required.
Chris, didn't he tell you no comedians!

Seriously though Anthony, his advice is spot on. The only tricky maintenance I've read about on this forum is maintaining the "no maintenance" transmission. If you do decide this needs servicing, either proceed with caution or take it to the dealer.
anthony1 (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 04:36 PM
anthony1
Rookie

So for the transmission, is it ok to drain and fill every 15K starting now? I plan to remove the pan and change the filter at least.
Did that with the GS300 without issues with Amsoil.
Last time I went to my local Lexus dealer, I had to wait a while before someone (a mechanic) shows up at the counter after I rang the bell to help me get a replacement drain plugs for the transmission. He said that's the only one he has. It seems not to many people get parts from there.... The coffee and pastry was good though...
Old 05-04-17, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

So for the transmission, is it ok to drain and fill every 15K starting now? I plan to remove the pan and change the filter at least.
Did that with the GS300 without issues with Amsoil.
Last time I went to my local Lexus dealer, I had to wait a while before someone (a mechanic) shows up at the counter after I rang the bell to help me get a replacement drain plugs for the transmission. He said that's the only one he has. It seems not to many people get parts from there.... The coffee and pastry was good though...

Nothing WRONG with that, but I would call it overkill. Flush it in accordance with the maintenance schedule found in any other country other than the US, and you'll be fine. In Canada, that interval is every 60k miles or so (I can't remember the exact number). I strongly advise against doing this one yourself. Toyota/Lexus uses Techstream to ensure temperatures are met when adding fluid, having various valves and solenoids opened, etc. My local Toyota dealer charged 149 dollars....hardly worth doing it as a DIY given the fluid costs, etc.
anthony1 (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 09:09 AM
anthony1
Rookie

ok. I'll have the trans flush at the dealer. Thanks. How about the filter though? do they replace the filter for you too?
Old 05-04-17, 03:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

ok. I'll have the trans flush at the dealer. Thanks. How about the filter though? do they replace the filter for you too?
They don't with normal service. If you want that done, you can pay extra for them to drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket. I wouldn't though. Quite a few members here have done this and found that the filter was in like new condition. I think MAYBE on my 2nd or even 3rd service I might replace the filter.
Old 05-04-17, 03:24 PM
anthony1
Rookie

Ok. Appreciate the quick answer. I have a hookup with a toyota head mechanic. I can get parts from him also.