LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying a 2013 Lexus LS460 AWD - Should I Be Wary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 11:20 AM
monacogp84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2013 Lexus LS460 AWD - Should I Be Wary?

Hello,

I live in California and found a beautiful 2013 LS460 for sale. The car is an AWD and comes with < 40k miles. After doing some research I found that the LS460 AWD's seem to have a "shuddering" problem between 35mph - 45mph. From my research it appears that the issue has been resolved for some owners via a TSB (i believe it requires simple computer reprogramming). Would you let the potential of this AWD issue dissuade you from purchasing the car. I'm trying to understand the scope and severity of the issue; i don't want to regret spending 40k for a car with basic drive-ability issues.

Should I keep my search limited to 2013 RWD's?

Thank you.
Old 04-10-17, 12:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The only thing I can really say is that if you don't actually need an awd car then I'd suggest getting the rwd version. It's lighter, a little quicker and you'll get a little better fuel economy. Also you're talking less moving parts/less things that can break.

Unless you need the traction I'd stick to the rear wheel drive - keep in mind that these cars have very good traction control systems anyway - even the rear wheel drive ones do well, especially if you have good tires. I own a rwd model...live in a place where it snows (a lot), and I haven't had one single issue when I have my snow tires on.
Old 04-10-17, 01:22 PM
monacogp84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The only thing I can really say is that if you don't actually need an awd car then I'd suggest getting the rwd version. It's lighter, a little quicker and you'll get a little better fuel economy. Also you're talking less moving parts/less things that can break.

Unless you need the traction I'd stick to the rear wheel drive - keep in mind that these cars have very good traction control systems anyway - even the rear wheel drive ones do well, especially if you have good tires. I own a rwd model...live in a place where it snows (a lot), and I haven't had one single issue when I have my snow tires on.
Thanks Double. Your recommendation makes a lot of sense. The challenge I have is that the car I found is the exact color combo I want and has the exact options I want.
Do you think the likelihood of breakdown is significant? It's been hard for me to assess scope and severity of these AWD problems.
Old 04-10-17, 01:48 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My '13 AWD is smooth as silk. And my understanding is that Lexus revised the shift schedule after 2011 to eliminate the infamous AWD shudder of which you speak. I think our forum discusses this at length in older threads. Bottom line IMHO, if AWD is the only thing standing between you and getting the car, then you shouldn't pass it up for fear of reliability. However, if you have the luxury of time, I'm sure they'll eventually be a plethora of West Coast RWD options on the market from which to choose.. Just my $.02, good luck with the purchase; it's a great vehicle, one of the best around!
Old 04-10-17, 01:56 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

If the pricing is right, I'd go for it. Obviously note you face a decrease in hp as well as gas mileage and like doublebase said there are more parts inherently to the AWD variant of the vehicle. But the issues are rare so I honestly would not be shying from an AWD vehicle if it checks the box in the other things you seek (options, price, mileage, service history etc.)
Old 04-10-17, 02:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

If you're going up to the mountains to ski then definitely get the AWD. Otherwise, you don't need it. You'll lose some mileage and power and you''ll have to pay for the ECU flash if your car's out of the 4/50 warranty. But I wouldn't worry about it "breaking down", the vibration will be more just a nuisance. Dive the car - if it doesn't "shudder", no problem!
Old 04-10-17, 04:03 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by monacogp84
Thanks Double. Your recommendation makes a lot of sense. The challenge I have is that the car I found is the exact color combo I want and has the exact options I want.
Do you think the likelihood of breakdown is significant? It's been hard for me to assess scope and severity of these AWD problems.
Oh then I'd just go for it, you shouldn't have problems and if you do it shouldn't be a big deal (and I haven't heard of any transfer case problems with these newer cars). Yeah if the fuel economy and maybe a slight drop in snappiness doesn't bother you? Definitely go for it.