LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking at a 2008 LS460 - questions with maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 07:05 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Looking at a 2008 LS460 - questions with maintenance

I just lost my '04 LS430 to a hail storm. I'm really bummed because it was such a nice car. I've been looking for a replacement LS430 but the older they get the harder it is to find a well kept one like I had.

Now I'm looking at going to a LS460. I just started looking online but I found a '08 LS460 with 101k. I added the VIN to my Lexus account to view the service history. Thing is with this one there really isn't any. There were a couple basic stuff prior to 10k, then an entry at 26k for glovebox rattle, and then not until 86k for a fuel light that turned out to be a loose gas cap.....that's it. The site I found it on says there has been 3 previous owners. This is the first Lexus I've looked up the history on and there really isn't any. I'm assuming that's because they just didn't have it serviced at a Lexus dealer.

I then did a search to find out about service intervals and couldn't find anything other than basic tire rotation and oil change. Shouldn't there be spark plug changes, transmission fluid, and brake fluid at minimum?

It's a great looking car but I don't know if I should be concerned about the lack of maintenance history. Since it's coming of a small dealer's lot they probably won't have any info either but I'll call tomorrow to find out.
Old 04-04-17, 07:32 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Lexus wants you to bring it in every 5K miles. This means it will be in their possession for each of the major service intervals.

Personally I would recommend you keep looking. Mine doesn't have an extensive service history but there is enough there to know that it was seen and inspected by a Lexus dealer many times throughout it's life. I guarantee you'll find a better one out there, just be patient and know what you want so that when you find it you can make a move.
Old 04-04-17, 08:20 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the '07 maintenance schedule. I think the only difference on the '08 is replacing the spark plugs every 60,000 miles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post4327315
Old 04-05-17, 01:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think what I'd really be worried about is the recalls...those haven't been performed? Because if they haven't I'd pass. I believe that engine had the valve spring recall, fuel rail and a couple other smaller things. I'd worry about that more than the other stuff.

If it has had the recalls I wouldn't be too concerned about the fluids...the coolant is a 100,000 mile coolant, the plugs usually can go 100,000 easily, and the tranny fluid is "lifetime". So if I bought the car I'd change all three.
Old 04-05-17, 06:07 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.carmax.com/cars#Distance...y=14&Zip=75093

I chose the Carmax in Plano, obviously you could switch things up. I'm in Va and I had my 460L shipped from Arizona because it hit my main markers. Color and it was an L. it was also under 100k on mileage and in pretty good shape. My entire experience with Carmax was extremely positive. They stand behind the products they sell and pretty much want to sell you a used car that's damn near in new condition. So far I had to have both right air struts replaced due to a rattling knocking noise that I had identified on a test drive. At first we thought it was just the right rear. When they went to repair they called Lexus and ordered from them. They didn't try to be cheap and go used or aftermarket. Once they replaced it, they didnt test drive it because they figured the issue was resolved. Well I took it home and I called them the next day saying I heard the rattling still. I took it in and they identified the right front. Guess what they did. They said, "Greg, we are going to fix it since it is an unresolved issue from before the sale and you have the 30 day warranty". They called Lexus and ordered factory parts yet again. Today the car is in the shop getting the RF strut replaced. On top of all of this, my ML amp went out. They are taking it to Lexus and getting that fixed by Lexus as well, all free of charge to me. Carmax really stands behind their products. I also purchased their MaxCare extended warranty for ~$24-2700 WHICH might I add covers every electrical piece of equipment inside the vehicle AND the Air suspension which is deemed mechanical and not a wear item (wear items are not covered). It is an 07 with 87k miles on it. The MaxCare covers it for 4 years up to 140k miles. I also have the $100 dollar deductible which means if I take it to Carmax they take $50 bucks off of the deductible and will fix the car. Now if they cant fix it and they tell me to take it across the street to Toyota (where I work) I still only pay the $50 deductible or even if I go to Lexus. If I took it straight to Toyota and tell them to fix it with new parts from Lexus, Carmax will cover the claim no problem, They wont fight like most warranty companies to use LKQ or aftermarket parts.

So I strongly urge you to give Carmax a try. I even used their transfer system to my advantage. I had a 2010 AWD LS shipped in for free to test drive. Once I knew its what I wanted I searched their website and brought mine in so I could take it home.
Old 04-05-17, 06:15 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think what I'd really be worried about is the recalls...those haven't been performed? Because if they haven't I'd pass. I believe that engine had the valve spring recall, fuel rail and a couple other smaller things. I'd worry about that more than the other stuff.

If it has had the recalls I wouldn't be too concerned about the fluids...the coolant is a 100,000 mile coolant, the plugs usually can go 100,000 easily, and the tranny fluid is "lifetime". So if I bought the car I'd change all three.
i
Perhaps it varies by state and whether or not one buys from a dealer or private party, but I believe it's illegal to sell a car for which recall work hadn't been done. When I was looking at a LS460 at a Chevy dealer, they had had the most recent recall done at a local Lexus dealer.
Old 04-05-17, 06:22 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my 08 back in 2014. The paint wasn't great but when I looked up the service history, it was very detailed. It made the decision to buy a bit easier knowing the owner always serviced the car at the dealer and at the right intervals. All recalls were done to that point and there were some notes for even bringing it back in to replace the batteries in the headsets in the rear. There is going to be a good number of 460's for sale soon when the ls500 comes out. I would wait and find another but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-05-17, 06:25 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

You can also call Lexus customer service and ask them if they can look up the recall info if you are concerned, you just need to supply the VIN to them
Old 04-05-17, 06:29 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Unless the engine has exploded (valve springs) or the car hasn't burned up (fuel rail), you can still get the recalls done. However, I'd still pass on this car - you have no idea if it EVER had the oil changed!
The following users liked this post:
GHARP57 (04-05-17)
Old 04-05-17, 07:08 AM
caverman
Instructor

@GHARP57...I'm with you. If Carmax has one that is the right color combo and comes close to my budget I would definitely look at going with them. I've been looking and so far that's not the case, mostly because of the color combo. I don't know why so many of the Silver have the charcoal gray wood trim. I'm guessing that's the only color you could get with the gray interior. I'm looking for either Silver, White, or Maroon but I like the mahogany colored wood trim. Of course with Carmax you are paying a premium price and that kind of kills my budget.

@qtrung909...I'm sure prices will definitely drop with then new LS comes out, especially since it's a complete change. I'm not sure I can hold out that long though. I'm without a car and I'm having to borrow one at the moment. However, I don't want to make a rash decision because of that either.

Thanks for the heads up on the recalls. I'll make sure to checks those out and see if I can find out how to contact Lexus with the VIN to see if the recalls have been done. I didn't notice anything like that on their website but will look again.
Old 04-05-17, 07:17 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Originally Posted by caverman
@GHARP57...I'm with you. If Carmax has one that is the right color combo and comes close to my budget I would definitely look at going with them. I've been looking and so far that's not the case, mostly because of the color combo. I don't know why so many of the Silver have the charcoal gray wood trim. I'm guessing that's the only color you could get with the gray interior. I'm looking for either Silver, White, or Maroon but I like the mahogany colored wood trim. Of course with Carmax you are paying a premium price and that kind of kills my budget.

Thanks for the heads up on the recalls. I'll make sure to checks those out and see if I can find out how to contact Lexus with the VIN to see if the recalls have been done. I didn't notice anything like that on their website but will look again.
I checked fair market on my 07 L model with 87k with all the options were about $22k, I paid $19,999 plus the other options so I ended up around $24k. So I felt I got a good deal on my vehicle, especially with all of the work done so far. I almost bought a red 08 out of cali that had the same chrome rims and tan interior, but it sold. It wasn't an L model so it was 2k less (didnt has as many options either). I think with Silver you either get grey (which is a terrible color) or black. it seemed to me damn near all of the silvers had grey interiors. I almost went with a white and black interior or white and tan interior. The pearl white is such a beautiful color, but I have always wanted a blue car.

1 (800) 255-3987 that's the Lexus number to call
Old 04-05-17, 08:45 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GHARP57
I checked fair market on my 07 L model with 87k with all the options were about $22k, I paid $19,999 plus the other options so I ended up around $24k. So I felt I got a good deal on my vehicle, especially with all of the work done so far. I almost bought a red 08 out of cali that had the same chrome rims and tan interior, but it sold. It wasn't an L model so it was 2k less (didnt has as many options either). I think with Silver you either get grey (which is a terrible color) or black. it seemed to me damn near all of the silvers had grey interiors. I almost went with a white and black interior or white and tan interior. The pearl white is such a beautiful color, but I have always wanted a blue car.

1 (800) 255-3987 that's the Lexus number to call
My '04 was Silver with the Ash interior and I was okay with that but it also had the mahogany trim. The new Silver with that darker wood trim is really a no go for me unless I just got some kind of smokin' deal. My preference is either the white/tan which is an awesome combo or I really like the red/tan as well. I'm trying to stay away from the darker colors like black and dark blue, they are too hard to keep clean....but they look great when they are clean.

How is the "L" version. I thought I saw somewhere that they drive a little different because of the length. I'm a little worried the back would have too much room. However, I am 6' 6" and love being able to take my colleagues out to lunch without having to move my seat up. I get that even with the base model so I can only imagine what an "L" would be like.

Thanks for the number to Lexus.
Old 04-05-17, 09:15 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
How is the "L" version. I thought I saw somewhere that they drive a little different because of the length. I'm a little worried the back would have too much room. However, I am 6' 6" and love being able to take my colleagues out to lunch without having to move my seat up. I get that even with the base model so I can only imagine what an "L" would be like.
The L means you don't have to move your seat at 6'6", and you can also have a 6'6" passenger sitting comfortably behind you. As you said, it's great for taking colleagues to lunch, mine fight over who gets to ride in the back seat :P
Old 04-05-17, 09:31 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Personally to me they rode and drove identical to each other. I also dont have an issue driving a sub compact all the way up to a giant uhaul truck so I am confident in my driving. The dimensions are as follows

460L
over all length 202.75"
wheelbase 121.65"

overall length 198.03"
wheelbase 116.92"

So you can see that they kept the overall length down but stretched the wheel base to gain the room.
The following users liked this post:
Haunted (04-05-17)
Old 04-05-17, 09:49 AM
caverman
Instructor

I came across this '08 that has a fair amount of service history as well.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=163884410

Looks like it had the valves spring and fuel recalls done. Do these look like them?

@85k miles -
POTENTIAL FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR LEAK ~ ~ELF ~ ~85833 AGGB7B 410 COMPLETED LEXUS 'ELF' SAFTEY RECALL; CLEANED AND RETORQUED FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR, PERFORMED TWO TRIP DETECTION ROAD TEST
@35k miles -
ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH ADJUSTERS FOR GS460, LS600HL ~ ~ALE VALVE SPRING SAFETY RECALL ~ ~ALE ~ ~35256 CAMPAIGN 0528FU 1320 CAMPAIGN COMPLETED.
The only big concern I see in the history is it seems like he has had multiple services on his battery not starting the car and failing some load tests. I would think with as much as it has been at Lexus it would have had a new alternator by now if that was an issue. So, I'm concerned something else would cause an issue?

85K - new battery 3/2015
70k - new battery 3/2014
54k - new battery 10/2012
48k - new battery 2/2012
30k - new battery 9/2010

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2008 LS460 - questions with maintenance