LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I Need Tires!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 02:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

LTX??? That's a truck tire...at least that's what I thought...
Old 03-12-17, 03:06 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Or just think of it as think of it this way. Cars with lifted suspensions such as the Outback, Venza, etc will often run these as their great in the snow, rain, cruising, and have a slightly more aggressive tread for better traction off road. They are a better tire vs the mxm4's. The pilots are also really good but soft and not that great in snow / ice. As mentioned, where you live and conditions you face would greatly impact my decision.
Old 03-12-17, 05:55 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
They label it as a crossover / SUV tire because of the size. It's an all season cruiser with really good snow / ice performance. Better then the P7's but probably a bit more rolling residence. If you experience more snow conditions I would pick the Michelins. If not then the Pirelli.
I tried the 235/50/18 Michelin Premier LTX on our LS430, in search of a quieter, better riding tire than the Michelin Pilot A/S 3. The Pilots were the first Michelin tire I have ever hated. They rode like a rock and were distractingly loud on our local roads. I went with the Premier LTX to stay with Michelin and hoped the little bit of extra sidewall would provide a comfier ride. It was sort of an experiment to go with 235/50 because I didn't want to downsize to 17s just to improve ride quality. The Premier LTX was both quieter and rode better than the Pilots, but the Premier LTX was also bouncy. Switched to the Pirelli P7 Plus and haven't looked back. The P7+ gave me everything I wanted and allowed me to stay with 18s. We have had unseasonably high amounts of rain in California and I haven't had any issues in the rain. I find the P7+ to be a great blend of traction, comfort, and quietness. I have not tried the Contis but have been exclusively a Michelin man for 20+ years until just six months ago.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-12-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

The dynamics of a luxury sedan are just different than those of a crossover. For a crossover/SUV those would be my first choice, but not for the LS460.
Old 03-12-17, 10:56 PM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have put about 1,000 miles on the Michelin Premier LTX tires on my LS460 and so far have been very happy with them. I fell in love with the LTX's on my Sequoia - so I thought I would give them a try on the LS. If I hated them, I could return them with a full refund with Michelin's 30 day guarantee. The LTX's replaced my second set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Performance. The first thing I noticed about the LTX's is that they don't have that "lumpy" feeling when driving the vehicle after it sat for a period of time. They drive well and seem a bit quieter than the Bridgestones. One of my requirements for tires is performance on wet roads - which is one of the safety features of the Premier line of tires. In my Sequoia, I have driven through heavy downpours and the LTX's performed wonderfully. I have yet to test the LTX's on the LS in the rain - but with the same tread pattern and depth (8.5/32"), I expect similar performance.

So far I have found no reason to return the tires and would readily recommend them to anyone. They have a 60k mile warranty and I paid $780 for a set of 4 including tax, mounting, and balance.
Old 03-16-17, 09:44 PM
capt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for manufacturer recommended tires and recently traded in a chevy volt for my used LS460. I paid $406 for two tires on the volt because they were the original brand and type, same for my 07 Escalade which cost around $1200 for all four. Buying my LS used, I had to take the car as it was, it has this cheap in house brand from a tire shop (Big O) and I'm surprised how well this car drives. It's non-air suspension but still the tires are quiet, comfortable, and I'm still getting 32-34mpg while doing around 67-70 on the highway ( commute throughout the Central Valley in CA). If you've seen the amount of rain CA has had, I've been driving through it all; this is the first time I've had a generic brand and am pleasantly surprised!
Old 03-17-17, 01:02 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by capt
I'm all for manufacturer recommended tires and recently traded in a chevy volt for my used LS460. I paid $406 for two tires on the volt because they were the original brand and type, same for my 07 Escalade which cost around $1200 for all four. Buying my LS used, I had to take the car as it was, it has this cheap in house brand from a tire shop (Big O) and I'm surprised how well this car drives. It's non-air suspension but still the tires are quiet, comfortable, and I'm still getting 32-34mpg while doing around 67-70 on the highway ( commute throughout the Central Valley in CA). If you've seen the amount of rain CA has had, I've been driving through it all; this is the first time I've had a generic brand and am pleasantly surprised!
Hmm..I'm assuming your tire size is 18", correct??
Would you mind sharing the brand of the tire? And, regarding the information on the tire sidewall, what's the manufacture date? Just curious...
Old 03-18-17, 01:59 AM
capt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure thing, they're 18" Sailun Atrezzo SVA1, it was made in 2016 (7th week). The spare is different, just some previously loved tire for the new sensor, to get the TPMS error off the dash lol
Old 03-20-17, 10:29 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
These are more than $100 each, but they are perfect for the 460. I had 'em on my '05 STS V8 (the rear wheel drive one), twice. Loved 'em.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Have the DW on mine now and love them, will probably never see snow/ice so DWS was not a requirement for me. Very sticky tires in both wet and dry conditions though, I highly recommend them.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 02:10 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Have the DW on mine now and love them, will probably never see snow/ice so DWS was not a requirement for me. Very sticky tires in both wet and dry conditions though, I highly recommend them.
I'm very sorely tempted to get the DWs, but unless they go on sale, I can't hang with way lower treadwear numbers.

I'm in Fort Worth, so if it snows, not ices, someone call Ripley!

I have a foul weather vehicle, plus, I do my best to not get out in it.

I'll have to look and see what the price difference is on DWs. Thanks!

edit: Man...the DWs are on closeout sale, but it's still a grand for five of them, and I can't toss the P7s which are on there just yet. They have an easy 15K miles left on them.

This isn't to say I'm not seriously tempted!

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-21-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 09:18 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

They have the DWS06's out now, so like McKelly B said, you might find closeouts on the DW's ot the DWS ones now.

We've had the DWS on our past three cars and they work Great.

The nice thing about the tread warranty is that they do actually stand behind it. They wore out pretty quickly on one of the cars and Continental/Discount Tire backed up the warranty with new tires (pro rated, but still stood behind their product).

If you're in a place that gets snow, then they are worth looking at because we had no problems in up to three inches of the white stuff. I can say up to three inches because we have winter/snow tires for when "Old Man Winter" comes to town and if it's forecasted, the tires get changed just for our piece of mind.

Good Luck with your choice because it can get confusing with as many tires are there are out there.
Old 03-23-17, 04:03 PM
Whinenot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tried something new with my last tire change. My last LS ('04 430) wore the Michelin Primacy MXM4's and although admittedly was RWD was a pig on skates on ice. I did not want to do another winter at the mercy of those tires in our climate. Knowledgeable tech at well established local tire dealer convinced me to try Sumitomo on my '11 AWD. I was skeptical as I am the type to clutch my head and shriek at the thought of off-brand anything touching my car. We had a harsher than usual winter here in my part of MT and the LS was a tank in snow and ice, it is my work car and it showed up to put in the work no matter the weather.
I would say the Michelins were softer and a bit more quiet but I feel the ride is stiffer in general in the '10+. Detriments might be decreased MPG and a marginally firmer ride. Positives that I have noticed are grip and handling, especially in standing water ~ I cant get these tires to hydroplane. Curves at speed are noticeably better than what I took off (Michelin) and I have heard that the Sumitomo are rock solid at the limiter of our cars. In my opinion these tires do many things right at a startling price point, were about $110 each installed. They have a test ride period by the manufacturer, I think within 30 days you can return if you dont like them. Cant speak to longevity as I have less than 10k on them. If getting down the road no matter what is a priority and you do not want to put snows on in winter these are a viable option. http://www.sumitomotire.com/cars/pro.../htrasp02.aspx
Old 09-03-17, 10:49 PM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI, it appears that DiscountTire no longer carries the Pirelli Cinturato P7
Old 09-04-17, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

They haven't for quite some time
Old 09-04-17, 10:31 AM
MrDOS