LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

questions before buying LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 01:16 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default questions before buying LS460

Im about to buy a 2007-2009 LS460 I'm looking at one right now 2009 with 80K miles my question is at what point did you start to replace anything if any control arms brake actuator etc. Is there anything to expect between the 80-100K mile range?

Last edited by Kadrian21; 03-03-17 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:56 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I would check the service history and have the vehicle inspected at a Lexus dealer. The control arms and brake actuator was a problem for many LS's but not all of them. Lexus is known for its reliability but parts do fail and wear out. I'm approaching the 100k miles and i haven't had any problems for the last 20K miles. I notice my hood struts are getting weak and I will have them replaced during my next oil change.
Old 03-03-17, 05:51 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

It really is a crapshoot, and a PPI would help alleviate some of your fears. I've heard of members who have gone close to 200k miles without replacing anything so these cars are really built well.

Where in TX are you looking to purchase? If in DFW area I can help recommend some good independent shops to conduct the mechanical check, if that is the route you are going.
Old 03-03-17, 06:23 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iy-thread.html
Old 03-03-17, 06:27 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in DFW area that would be great I'd hate to buy the ls460 and find out the CA and BA needs replacing I have my own mechanic but you have to brin the car to his shop

Where in TX are you looking to purchase? If in DFW area I can help recommend some good independent shops to conduct the mechanical check, if that is the route you are going.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-17, 07:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Don't let forum fodder deter you. Fact is, the CA's CAN be a problem, but put it in perspective. For example, I have 125k miles on my LS. I just recently had a shop tell me one of my control arm bushings and one ball joint were bad. Rather than just replace those two items, I replaced ALL my front control arms (8 in total) AND BOTH my ball joints AND my front shocks AND my rear shocks for a grand sum of 1500 dollars INCLUDING labor. My brake actuator is still original and no issues. The only other repair (non-normal maintenance) I had to do, was replace the water pump. I pd 55 bucks for that and installed it myself in about 90 minutes. If I don't spend another dime over the next 100k miles, it would not surprise me one bit.
Old 03-03-17, 07:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I personally wouldn't buy the car. Its a complete heap.
From the day I purchased my LS, I've been wanting to get out of it.
From having to replace my battery, to water pump, to pads and rotors, upper control arms, wiper blades, HID bulbs, fluid changes...
Personally, I've had enough.
Good luck with yours though...
Old 03-03-17, 07:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0133642
From the day of purchase, you've wanted to get rid of the car? 😂

Why are you complaining about wiper blades, brakes, fluids, and an HID bulb?
My friend Crowe got ya. He's basically saying the same thing I am. He just has a better sense of humor than I do. He's had as little issue with hs LS as I have with mine. They are dead reliable.
Old 03-03-17, 08:12 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 0133642
From the day of purchase, you've wanted to get rid of the car? ��

Why are you complaining about wiper blades, brakes, fluids, and an HID bulb?
Because I can!! I joke, I joke..I kid, I kid!!

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My friend Crowe got ya. He's basically saying the same thing I am. He just has a better sense of humor than I do. He's had as little issue with hs LS as I have with mine. They are dead reliable.
Bingo! For almost any issue I've had (which has been very minimal) I document it here and have gotten feedback from Chris. Both of us as well as many others here have had minimal issues with our LS. If I had to get another car today as a daily driver, I may test drive a few others vehicles, but in my mind, I'd be comparing everything to an LS.
Lastly, to the OP, have you put you the VIN into Lexusdriver website?
Old 03-03-17, 01:49 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I personally wouldn't buy the car. Its a complete heap.
From the day I purchased my LS, I've been wanting to get out of it.
From having to replace my battery, to water pump, to pads and rotors, upper control arms, wiper blades, HID bulbs, fluid changes...
Personally, I've had enough.
Good luck with yours though...
I could swear I've seen this post before. Do you have a template for it?
Old 03-03-17, 01:59 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gbp
I could swear I've seen this post before. Do you have a template for it?
HAHA!! I do actually... But I only use it on occasions.
Old 03-03-17, 02:56 PM
Kadrian87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my understanding service history will only show up if the vehicle is serviced at a Lexus dealer that's what my local Lexus dealer told me

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Because I can!! I joke, I joke..I kid, I kid!!

Bingo! For almost any issue I've had (which has been very minimal) I document it here and have gotten feedback from Chris. Both of us as well as many others here have had minimal issues with our LS. If I had to get another car today as a daily driver, I may test drive a few others vehicles, but in my mind, I'd be comparing everything to an LS.
Lastly, to the OP, have you put you the VIN into Lexusdriver website?
Old 03-03-17, 04:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kadrian87
To my understanding service history will only show up if the vehicle is serviced at a Lexus dealer that's what my local Lexus dealer told me
The three services I had done at the local Toyota dealer (brake flushes and transmission flush) show up on the report as well.
Old 03-03-17, 09:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadrian21
Is there anything to expect between the 80-100K mile range?
The only significant thing to check are the control arms.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I have had the half inch wide strip that runs from the base of the windshield along the roofline to the rear window peel off. That piece is not painted, it's a wrap. That happened to my '07 in that mileage range.

One thing to keep in mind as you read/search this forum, people rarely start a thread just to say their LS has been flawless (like CRowe14 does ). What happens is an occasional person will join the forum because they have a problem. They'll get an answer, but then never return. That's OK, not everyone is a car person. However it can make it seem to the casual reader that these cars are trouble prone with control arms, ML amps, etc. The fact is they make up such a small fraction of the owners out there who have no trouble to post.

If you want to read about real car troubles ask Chris (roadfrog) to point you to his BMW forums!
Old 03-04-17, 08:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to read about real car troubles ask Chris (roadfrog) to point you to his BMW forums!
You know, I'll NEVER get through my counselling and recover if you guys keep bringing up this stuff.

But yeah....it's BMW ownership that will bring you back to reality and have you truly appreciate how good the Lexus brand is.

Quick Reply: questions before buying LS460