LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

front Control Arms going out again after 22k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 01:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm now at around 70,000 miles on my aftermarket control arms...zero issues. A Lexus control arm was almost three times as much as I spent on an aftermarket control arm, and keep in mind these were the same Lexus control arms that failed on me already.

Buy genuine Lexus suspension parts? I mean there are literally millions of cars driving around the road with aftermarket suspension components in them. In fact I'd say there are more cars driving around with aftermarket suspension parts than OE suspension parts.

I dont buy aftermarket O2 sensors. I don't buy aftermarket spark plugs. I try to stay away from aftermarket sensors...but suspension parts?? I have no issues with aftermarket.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
sha4000 (02-14-18), texas008 (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 02:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
Back in the penniless high school days - I had a FORD Taurus.
The heater core started to leak - the dealer wanted something like $75 for a new core...and like a million $$$ to replace.
Bought a Chinese part - borrowed a car repair book - Spent all Saturday removing the ENTIRE DASH -to get to it.

Damn I was proud afterwards - saved like $1,150 for 15-1-20 (or more) hours of labor.
Topped off the coolant - went around the block -
LEAK!!

Went to bed dejected -
Sunday pre-dawn - at it agin.
The aftermarket core had a pinhole leak (should have checked!)

Tossed it in the trash - waited for Monday to roll around and went to FORD -
The parts guy felt so sorry for my sorry *** he gave it to me at cost.

LEXUS = LEXUS parts period.
MEH.....there can be more to stories like yours if you look at the whole picture. If your replacing a known inferior part (like Lexus rotors or control arms), what's the point in replacing it with another inferior OEM part? Ford heater cores are another great example. My Mustang required the same ridiculous labor as your Taurus to replace. There was NO WAY I was going to replace it with another failure-prone Motorcraft heater core when 8 hours of labor to replace it was required. That aftermarket heater core lasted 15 years until I sold the car (the oem factory one lasted 4). If you follow your "Lexus = Lexus parts period" mantra and replace your rotors with OEM, it's a replacement you'll be doing again before long. SAme with CA's.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-15-18 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 08:40 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Toyota/Lexus did us a favor when it comes to the lower rearward control arm. On the 07- series cars the knuckle is $375 from a parts department that is willing to give you a deal. The "kingpin" ball joint is nearly un-serviceable. A machine shop may be able to remove it without any damage. After replacing both knuckle I attempted to go backwards and remove the ball joints...I had semi sucess: removed with a scratch to the knuckle. Further, the pre-installed ball joint should last 300k. Back to that FAVOR from Toyota/Lexus. When servicing the rearward control arm, turn it perpendicular to the knuckle and whack the flat surface with a 5-10lbs hammer; it should pop off like a breaching whale so "lookout" (i.e. be careful).

The STRIKE -point is in the lower left side of the pic:

Old 02-19-18, 04:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

^^^I agree.

I replaced those control arms on my car three months ago - piece of cake - but I had every intention of replacing the ball joint while I was in there and decided against it. For one, the ball joint shockingly felt like it was brand new. I couldn't believe it. My car had 165,000 miles on it and the ball joint felt tight as if it was right out of the box, so I didn't bother going through the hassle of replacing it. I just did the arms...I have two brand new ball joints sitting in my garage downstairs that will probably sit there forever.

The ball joints must not take any stress due to the geometry of the suspension, however we all know the control arm bushings do, it's a pick your poison scenario.