LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 07:17 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

On a side note, hope the next Gen GS gets that engine around 400hp, maybe a GS400, taking it back
Old 01-09-17, 07:23 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
It looks ok, but was kind of expecting more of the concept's look/proportions:
Agree completely.... The concept rounded body style along with no door handles gave it the ultra modern look that would set it apart.
Old 01-09-17, 07:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

What a stupid, stupid, stupid platform for the flagship ....... the other competitors are literally laughing their assess off

A supercharged/TT V8 would of made the LS a top contender , and is where I thought the brand was leading too

This platform belongs in the IS or GS, not the LS

Lexus ..the pursuit of Mediocrity
Old 01-09-17, 08:03 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup side profile totally reminds me of the infiniti m37, with the m37 being more curvaceous looking.

The m37 with aero package is one of the most under rated cars available right now imo.
Old 01-09-17, 08:03 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Agree. Lexus had an opportunity to JUMP the competition in HP, even with their old 5 liter V8, but chose not to for whatever dumb reason. Who the heck says, "my car has 400 LB-FT of torque?"

Everyone talks HP and this car fails versus everything out there in its class.

29 more measly HP versus an engine that has been around for ages.

Yeah that's kind of shallow, but really there's absolutely nothing cachet about when it comes to straight talking about this car versus others, especially in regards to the basics like the engine.

MB, BMW, Audi and even Genesis salespeople will be zeroing on the very simple and obvious displacement, cylinders and HP number differences when pitching their cars over the Lexus. Guaranteed.
Old 01-09-17, 08:06 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Also not feeling the rear droopey tail light look of the latest lexus rc and now the ls deisgn.

i dunno, the hyundai g90 strikes me more.
Old 01-09-17, 08:10 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default A few more things to ponder

Overall, I love the luxurious look of the interior. Here's a look with the HUD visible. But there are bunch of things that I am not thrilled about. Hope they will look better in person and with time.

The HUD is "yuuuge"! The elevated instrument cluster with the humungous central display helps hide the HUD panel on the dash, but the whole set up looks a but odd with the suspension setting and traction control *****.

The design of the door trim (brown leather of the dash, the wood trim, and the white leather of the door) is ugly.

That guitar string motif across the dash looks busy.

That second "display" next to the nav screen must light up only as an ambient light. It's much brighter in some pics.

The steering wheel has a leather wrap all around, even with the wood trim. I wonder if the steering wheel heats all around or only in the full-leather sections.

The "shifter" looks comfortably short but seems too far forward. Hopefully it will still allow for the arm to rest comfortably on the armrest and reach the shifter.

I am glad the LS will be offered with the two piece panoramic sunroof and with dual rear DVD screens.
Old 01-09-17, 09:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
And the downfall of the once mighty LS continues. There won't be another generation after that disaster hits the streets.
I literally laughed out loud when I read your post because of the tone and humor, and a split second later realized I think I agree with you.

I want to like this new LS more than anything and have been waiting by the day for the release but I just don't think I like this car overall. I hope I come around. I am in no position to buy a 90k car so what do I know; however, I really do not see myself yearning to own one of these once they come way down in price, nor would I even consider it with no V8 engine if I were in the market for a new flagship. That's my biggest problem. There ARE people out there who demand a V8 engine. A V6 just won't purr like a V8 and people can argue with me until we're both blue in the face. An LS experience is about that smooth, silky V8.
Old 01-09-17, 10:10 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow is all I can say about you fellow "Lexus enthusiasts". Why all the hate? It's very incredible car, the question is what car is perfect and don't say the s class that is the most overrated car ever. This car imo blows it out the water.
Old 01-09-17, 10:30 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like the current gen LS will probably start to appreciate soon. A disastrous interior with so many lines that probably give passengers headaches a front end that looks like a jail fence made out of cheap plastic. The c-pillar looks like a copy from the Hyundai Azera, yuck!
Old 01-09-17, 10:35 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Lexus has definitely kept it japanese, true to it's roots.

It will be exciting to see how this and the hyundai g90 conpete. As I do like the g90 design better, I doubt g90 will outsell the brand marque lexus.

the new body benz S class seem to be keeping up to pace in its segment.

i do prefer the more european design cues of hyundai better, I think the rear of the new lexus designs are very disappointing and will intrude on overall sales.
Old 01-09-17, 10:39 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down Barf

They destroyed it. I don't like it AT ALL. What in hell were they thinking with that grill and those tail lights?? Looks like an IS that took some radioactive potion and became... deformed. And no V8? Give me a break. Put a 2007 LS next to this one and you'll probably think their saké was much better back then. Sorry Lexus, I've been a faithful admirer for almost a decade but you won't see my dollars anymore. Fix this for the love of the automotive industry...
Old 01-09-17, 11:22 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Finally had a chance to take a look at this; fire fighting at work today. Some quick thoughts:

Exterior:
Different. Very different. I'll have to see it in person to really decide how I feel about it; but so far I like it. It's avant garde without being too crazy. I think a SWB car may be offered outside the US; I've seen an LS 600h (no L) in several markets outside the US so they sell (both WBs are avail in the UK right now).

Interior:
The center console is a direct rip of the W221 vent and screen stack; but the details look amazing. The screen in front of the passengers is intriguing; and the design is something else. I too will miss the electro-luminescent gauges; but seemingly nobody is doing those anymore.

Powertrain:
Super disappointed they killed the V8. Beyond really. The V6 will have to be as fast if not faster than they claim in order for this to not be considered a liability. They kept the V6 in the new Camry for chrissake.

Overall:
I'm impressed. This is a bold step. They could have delivered an S or 7 series clone and they didn't. This is something truly different in the marketplace; but whether people will respond to it is something to be seen. It seems they hedged their bets a bit with the GA-L architecture (although I'd rather they upsize the LC than downsize the LS) so we'll see if this bet pays off. In a segment that simultaneously is shrinking but yet demands a marquee product this is a bold move.

I have to reserve final judgement until I see and drive the thing. It's got more power and less weight than the current car so better performance seems possible; but that 4.5s 0-60 has to be bonafide-the-real-thing otherwise people will think its under powered.

But generally it bodes well for the brand as the identity continues to evolve. It's a strong move. A bold move. They don't want to be seen as the Buick of premium cars. This is the first time I feel like this car is for a younger demographic than myself LOL.

The one thing that really strikes me is how much the DIDN'T tell us. This has to be one of the shortest press conferences in recent memory. No details about the hybrid (which we know exists thanks to trademark fillings), no F-sport model, niente. Minimal details about driver aid systems, chassis, features etc. I bet there are many many goodies that we'll hear of as the launch approaches.

This also leads me to believe in Geneva, and maybe New York we'll see the following:
  • LS 500h: powered by the multistage hybrid system from the LC. A super ballsy move would be another V8 hybrid but I'm not holding my breath.
  • LS-F. More likely than not THIS is where we see the V8; either from the LC or a TT version that's been teased for a number of years. Maybe in SWB form.
  • LS 600h (or some other number): a Fuel cell car? I supposed they could make a LexusMirai but the H250 flopped here so that seems unlikely. There seems to be a top-tier model missing so something will come to fill the gap.
Old 01-09-17, 11:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I am a bit disappointed and surprized by the 5LS; didn't look as good as the prototype.
5LS C pillar really reminds me of Infiniti's corny competitor.

Porsche Panameras, Tesla Model S and certain Maseratis look far better IMO.

3.5L V6 Twin Turbo a surprize too; maybe they're using a big V6 TT in the interests of fuel economy over a V8?

I'm surprized the body shell did not have more aluminium content?

I hope the forthcoming 5GS of 2019 gets a smaller 3.0L V6 TT, because the smaller capacity idles, and revs much more smoothly and sweetly.
Hope 2019 5GS refines the current look by then too.

Akio hasn't done as well as his father did back in 1989.
I don't think this 5LS will crack 35,000 units/year like its 4LS predecessor back in 2007; I would be surprized if it even came close...
Old 01-09-17, 11:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

It would be neat if they had brought the oscillating vents back with this striking new interior (that sort of emphasizes said vents).

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!