ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Help - Clock adjustment (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/838933-help-clock-adjustment.html)

jmcraney 03-24-17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by enoch861 (Post 9812866)
This makes sense since the clock is always pretty accurate with whatever is on my phone. I'll have to test it out by manually setting the time and then turning auto on to see what happens.

You need to keep in mind that synchronization will only occur at conventional times which may be something like every 5 minutes, or once an hour, or at midnight. And, you must be positioned so that your equipment can receive the GPS signal. If you try to do this in a "RF shaded" area, like your garage or under dense foliage your clock will not synchronize until you move to where your equipment can see the GPS satellites.

sktn77a 03-24-17 02:44 PM

My clock was 1 hour off after the change to summer time. DST was set to OFF. As soon as I set it to ON, it displayed the correct time.

:uh:

jmcraney 03-24-17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by sktn77a (Post 9812927)
My clock was 1 hour off after the change to summer time. DST was set to OFF. As soon as I set it to ON, it displayed the correct time.

:uh:

I am not sure if your post is "tongue in cheek" humor or if you are telling us you find the DST setting to be counterintuitive. Correct operation is just as you described - that's the way it should work.

roadfrog 03-24-17 04:42 PM

My 08 has never failed to adjust automatically. But only if set as Keith described

jmcraney 03-24-17 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by roadfrog (Post 9813016)
My 08 has never failed to adjust automatically. But only if set as Keith described

What's automatic about that?

Gbp 03-24-17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jmcraney (Post 9813030)
What's automatic about that?

I think/hope his tongue is firmly planted in cheek. :)

tl; dr: Basically what jmcraney said in an above post.

The GPS signal transmits the correct GMT (Greenwich Medium Time) and the timezone set in the clock setup screen (which can be descriptive, such as Eastern, or by GMT displacement, such as GMT-4) adjusts the hour accordingly.

The use of daylight saving time depends on local rules. Different localities in the same time zone might or might not use DST. Just like GPS watches, one needs to set the car clock in DST mode when DST starts and turn it off when DST ends -- unless there is special additional software to automatically do this.

There are other sources that broadcast the proper local time, such as radio station WWVB near Ft Collins, CO that's used to synchronize/set the proper time for various devices, including some clocks, but WWVB seems to only apply to North America. Perhaps Lexus didn't want to selectively add this functionality to only its N.A. cars. Edit: a flight of fancy that jmcraney corrected. The user has to apply timezone information, or some other method must be used to obtain it.

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-fr...-stations/wwvb

The auto adjust clock setting lets you set the time manually and disables synchronizing the time via the GPS signal. If one habitually runs a few minutes late for appointments, I can see wanting to set the clock a few minutes fast. :)

WNYPAT 03-24-17 07:02 PM

I just had the TSB swap done today. Clock is working as it should now.

jmcraney 03-25-17 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gbp (Post 9813075)
There are other sources that broadcast the proper local time, such as radio station WWVB near Ft Collins, CO that's used to synchronize/set the proper time for various devices, including some clocks, but WWVB seems to only apply to North America. Perhaps Lexus didn't want to selectively add this functionality to only its N.A. cars.

Gbp,

Thank you for you explanation on how the cars work. I am sure many of our users will find your information useful.

As to WWVB's format: I believe that their time reference broadcast is Coordinated Universal Time (UTC, formerly GMT) and not local time as you indicated. Local time rules have to be applied by the user. Unlike their Space based time-standard partner GPS, terrestrially based WWVB does however broadcast DST rules status, allowing for automatic DST correction by the user.

sktn77a 03-25-17 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jmcraney (Post 9812939)
I am not sure if your post is "tongue in cheek" humor or if you are telling us you find the DST setting to be counterintuitive. Correct operation is just as you described - that's the way it should work.

No, I was serious and what I meant to say is that everything appeared to work as it should.

Gbp 03-25-17 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by jmcraney (Post 9813445)
Gbp,

Thank you for you explanation on how the cars work. I am sure many of our users will find your information useful.

As to WWVB's format: I believe that their time reference broadcast is Coordinated Universal Time (UTC, formerly GMT) and not local time as you indicated. Local time rules have to be applied by the user. Unlike their Space based time-standard partner GPS, terrestrially based WWVB does however broadcast DST rules status, allowing for automatic DST correction by the user.

Thanks. I think you're right about the user having to set the timezone and possibly indicate if DST is in effect. I found the format of the WWVB here:

https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-fr...me-code-format

Interestingly, there are bits for DST. I'll have to look into this...

tle99104 11-08-18 08:30 PM

Hi, just post this in wrong thread, so post it back here and need some help.
Have enjoyed my LS430 close to 10 years, just got a ls460-2013. try to adjust clock, but weird thing happened, Auto adjust which come up some wrong time. Go adjust manually, it's ok for that day only. Next day some wrong time again.
Try to set by gmt, but not last long. any help. thanks in advance.

comotiger 11-09-18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by tle99104 (Post 10354766)
Hi, just post this in wrong thread, so post it back here and need some help.
Have enjoyed my LS430 close to 10 years, just got a ls460-2013. try to adjust clock, but weird thing happened, Auto adjust which come up some wrong time. Go adjust manually, it's ok for that day only. Next day some wrong time again.
Try to set by gmt, but not last long. any help. thanks in advance.

Please read post #12. Your 2013 may be covered by this TSB. Good luck!

tle99104 11-09-18 07:41 AM

clock adjustment

Thank you very much Comotiger, My AWD doesnt have same VIN. And it has 70000 miles now. I can adjust manually but time not accurate like my old 430 ( I love it so much with luxury package ) ,It goes faster. I will ask the mecanician to unhook the battery for 1 hr and reconnect to see what happens. Thanks again Comotiger

tle99104 11-09-18 09:54 PM

Hi Cschmatz, you disconnect the battery, then connect it back. Do you need to reset everything? Can u give a little more detail. Thank a lot.

JimBBB 01-29-19 11:35 PM

After looking through much of this thread, I stopped reading most of it in detail. I saw only two correct solutions to the problem based on my experience.

I confirmed with my Service Manager that the DST function is as I knew it a manual adjustment. Meaning in order to adjust for Daylight Savings/Standard you have to manually set DST to On/Off. The TSB referred to in this thread implies an automatic adjustment but that is incorrect at least on the 2013 LS 460L model.

Secondly the TSB incorrectly states you must replace the clock to repair for the clock not GPS Adjusting for Time nor being able through the Software Interface to manually set the time. There could be some conditions under which you might have to replace the clock but in my case this was not the case. I had suggested to the Service Manager that the LS 460L's software may have become corrupted and rebooting the software could correct the problem. I had noticed my clock was off on GPS Time and it would not automatically GPS Adjust nor Manually Adjust either as well as the DST function would not work as well. In short the clock time could not be adjusted in any manner.

My suggestion to the Service Manager was never done probably because of the erroneous or incomplete Technical Bulletin. The Technical Bulletin incorrectly implied the clock automatically adjusts for Daylight Savings and it should have at least included a suggestion to disconnect/reconnect the battery before replacing the clock. Incidentally the internal GPS Clock was always correct. it was just the Analog Clock Interface which was not adjusting. I did a recent maintenance service in which the battery was disconnected and reconnected. When I got the car back I noticed the clock was now working correctly. The only thing which would have affected the clock was the disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. Doing this cause the cars software to reboot. Rebooting computers, and this function with the clock is a computer function, will frequently fix software functions and my suspicion originally had been this which is why I had suggested disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. The clock assembly part in itself is nearly $600.00 plus any labor to install it when the solution appears to be something so simple as disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I had other problems I believe that may have been fixed by this operation as well but have not been able yet to confirm this definitively.

So by refusing to pay $600.00 plus labor for a clock (and I have never in all my new car owning experience ever had a clock problem) which Lexus' Technical Bulletin stated was the repair, I saved myself the cost of replacing the clock and got it fixed when the dealership eventually disconnected/reconnected the battery anyway. I am sort of upset though because I have probably been running around in my LS 460L for more than a year with corrupted software in my car for which on other occasions for different problems I had suggested the software be rebooted as well.

I am also upset that I am not a service technician and the Lexus Service Technicians and Lexus Corporate people who issue this Technical Bulletin do not have the expertise to know how their own product works nor how to fix the problem or at least know how to apply a procedure of rebooting the system to try to fix the clock in this case. Why is I who am not a service technician can know a procedure which potentially could fix my clock problem and in fact did fix the clock problem. Lexus has probably been replacing these clocks for some years collecting sales of the clock parts by replacing a perfectly working clock with another clock when it was an unnecessary expense for the customer if the customer was out of warranty as I was. I saw postings in this thread indicating where people actually did go and replace their clock when it may not have been necessary. Naturally replacing the clock would probably fix the problem because my guess is the procedure to replace the clock includes disconnecting it from the battery.