ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Help - Clock adjustment (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/838933-help-clock-adjustment.html)

jarm 11-08-16 08:33 AM

Help - Clock adjustment

Ok after daylight saving time came around. I went out to my 2013 LS460L to change the clock. I saw on U tube how to change it. I went thru all the steps and still the clock will not change. I have done everything except take the clock out of the dash. Any suggestions? I really don't want to take it to the dealer but may have to.

SW17LS 11-08-16 10:33 AM

In the menu system if you find the menu folder for clock, theres a button for "Daylight Savings Time", click the button to turn it off.

jamodeo 11-08-16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jarm (Post 9674193)
Ok after daylight saving time came around. I went out to my 2013 LS460L to change the clock. I saw on U tube how to change it. I went thru all the steps and still the clock will not change. I have done everything except take the clock out of the dash. Any suggestions? I really don't want to take it to the dealer but may have to.

If it won't change at all you may have to bring it in, there is a TSB for replacing the clock when it will not adjust through the screen. I had mine replaced with the new part and it works great now!

-Joe

DJWLDW 11-08-16 12:26 PM

On my 2010 I had to turn off the auto clock time set. It would then allow me to change the hour back and hit save. If I turned it back on the clock would jump forward 1 hour. So I just left it turned off.

Dennis

Nospinzone 11-08-16 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jarm (Post 9674193)
I really don't want to take it to the dealer but may have to.

Yea, just trade the car in a get a new one with the right time! :D

Seriously, I have to say I never understood what that DST function did on my car. I thought originally it would automatically adjust the time, but not the case. On my 2007 I just go into the "INFO" screen, touch the "Adjust Clock" button and then the "H" button to adjust the hour. Now that may have changed for the 2013 model.

kingbabar 11-08-16 04:39 PM

My new to me 2013 has this clock issue. Salesman noticed it too and tried to change through the menus. No dice. Have to bring it in now.

jarm 11-09-16 08:40 PM

Thanks for all your help. Looks like I will take it in.

2v1g 11-10-16 05:54 PM

I just did it today without any problem. You need to press "darlight saving time" , that will bring the on & off options. https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...0fd0d24350.jpg

jmcraney 11-10-16 06:09 PM

Seems to me you would want to:
Set Auto Adjust Clock to ON
Set Daylight Saving Time to OFF (when DST returns in a few months you would want to set this to ON and not make any other changes)
Set the Time Zone as required for your location
Insure that your car has an unobstructed view of the sky (synchronization is via GPS satellite)
Allow some time for synchronization to occur - maybe more than an hour

kingbabar 11-11-16 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jmcraney (Post 9676663)
Seems to me you would want to:
Set Auto Adjust Clock to ON
Set Daylight Saving Time to OFF (when DST returns in a few months you would want to set this to ON and not make any other changes)
Set the Time Zone as required for your location
Insure that your car has an unobstructed view of the sky (synchronization is via GPS satellite)
Allow some time for synchronization to occur - maybe more than an hour

Yeah, we've tried that. Unfortunately mine is stuck with it's own time. Tried numerous ways and waiting, no dice. Jamodeo mentioned there's a TSB for it.

jmcraney 11-11-16 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by kingbabar (Post 9676956)
Yeah, we've tried that. Unfortunately mine is stuck with it's own time. Tried numerous ways and waiting, no dice. Jamodeo mentioned there's a TSB for it.

Does your GPS Nav System receive the GPS signal?

jamodeo 11-11-16 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached the TSIB, here are the conditions for this replacement:

• Clock will NOT automatically update for daylight savings time (with “Daylight Savings Time” set to “ON” in the navigation screen menu).
• Clock will NOT respond to manual adjustment through the navigation screen.

The VINs it applies to are listed within the document. Hope it all gets resolved for you!

-Joe

kingbabar 11-11-16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jmcraney (Post 9676964)
Does your GPS Nav System receive the GPS signal?

Yes. And both symptoms that's posted with the TSB applies to my car.

salesguy 11-12-16 05:21 AM

Hey guys, I have a 2013 LS460 and I wanted to make sure I understood the expected behavior.

After the time changed last week, my clock did not. I went into the menu and DST was set to "ON". If I changed it to "OFF" the clock went back an hour.

Am I supposed to have to do that twice per year, or should that happen automatically? I figured that since the car knows where I am it could manage to determine what the time should be.

2v1g 11-12-16 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by salesguy (Post 9677924)
Hey guys, I have a 2013 LS460 and I wanted to make sure I understood the expected behavior.

After the time changed last week, my clock did not. I went into the menu and DST was set to "ON". If I changed it to "OFF" the clock went back an hour.

Am I supposed to have to do that twice per year, or should that happen automatically? I figured that since the car knows where I am it could manage to determine what the time should be.

I need to do it manually. In term of this, the car is not as smart as your cell phone. Don't why North America is still doing the dst stuff, it is not good for your health and don't save too much electricity either, I know China stopped doing that

jmcraney 11-12-16 06:35 AM

I currently I have a '14 LS460 and my previous car was a '07 LS460. Neither of these cars had an option for "Automatic DST Adjustment." They both require the manual DST on/off operation at the appropriate times. While the TSB that is cited above seems to imply that there is an Automatic DST Adjustment, I don't believe that is the case for the '07 - '14 LS460s. And, these cars require manual entry of the appropriate Time Zone.

I have a 2017 Toyota Sienna that has the option to use either manual DST entry or automatic DST adjustment by applying the DST change convention automatically. There must be some situations where the automatic DST adjustment will not work or there is some concern about the lifetime or stability of the convention making it necessary to provide both options.

It is certainly possible to have radio-controlled timekeeping that considers geolocation and some companies are making wristwatches that have that feature, but your car does not have this feature - correct local time is based on your inputing the correct timezone.

So, "salesguy," it seems to me that your car is fine.

It is possible that my information on this is not correct or incomplete, so I hope we will get some inputs from others to add some clarity on this subject.

2v1g 11-12-16 07:57 AM

I think you need to do it manually. It is not a big deal if you need to manually adjust the dst. Only click a button and twice a year

Ears 11-12-16 08:16 AM

2016 recognizes when the car moves into a different time zone, and prompts the driver to accept or not. Analog clock then rolls forward or backwards as required if answered affirmative. kinda cool to watch.

SW17LS 11-12-16 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by salesguy (Post 9677924)

This is how its supposed to work. Stupid, I agree. It can change itself when you cross a time zone, but can't change for DST automatically like my $19 clock radio does? Kinda lame.

salesguy 11-12-16 10:41 AM

Interesting. I emailed the Lexus dealer and they seemed to think otherwise - that the DST change should happen automatically. I'd hate to waste time going in and having it worked on if it's not broken.

If you read the TSB it implies that with DST "ON" it should adjust automatically.

Does anyone have a clock that did automatically adjust?

SW17LS 11-12-16 11:01 AM

Mine has never adjusted automatically with the "on" set.

cschmatz 11-13-16 02:55 PM

Just disconnect the battery for 5 min and reconnect, should be able to set after that. I was having the same problem and cutting the power to the car did the trick.

salesguy 11-14-16 05:23 AM

The lexus master tech confirmed with DST set to "ON" it should automatically correct. The TSB for 2013 confirms that.

From the lexus tech:

The LS clock is set to GPS so it's automatic. The DST is a manual option but when it's selected the clock automatically adjusts. It's a known issue and the TSB replaces the clock.

dlbuckls10 11-14-16 05:29 AM

Mines never adjusted automatically.

SW17LS 11-14-16 05:42 AM

Mine has never adjusted automatically either, and it's a 2015.

comotiger 11-14-16 06:12 AM

Mine did not adjust automatically either, regardless of whether the DST was set to ON or OFF. When I enter the menu and change the setting, it's fun to see the clock roll back or forward an hour. It worked this way on the 2012 SWB I had last year and my current 2014 LWB.

salesguy 11-14-16 06:21 AM

Interesting. I'm not making a special trip for this work, but on the next service I'll have them do the TSB work. Might be a few months but I will report back.

Maybe there is an issue with multiple years beyond just 2013, or maybe the Lexus guy is wrong.

comotiger 11-14-16 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by salesguy (Post 9679564)
Interesting. I'm not making a special trip for this work, but on the next service I'll have them do the TSB work. Might be a few months but I will report back.

Maybe there is an issue with multiple years beyond just 2013, or maybe the Lexus guy is wrong.

According to the TSB, the problem clocks would not adjust to display correct time even after manually selecting DST option. My car doesn't have that problem, so I doubt the TSB would be expanded.

salesguy 11-14-16 06:28 AM

That's not what the TSB says actually. 2 conditions may exist to trigger the TSB replacement. #1 is what I'm talking about - which is not automatically updating the clock when DST is set to on. Take another look at the TSB and let me know if I'm mis-reading it, but it seems pretty clear to me:

• Clock will NOT automatically update for daylight savings time (with “Daylight Savings Time”

set to “ON” in the navigation screen menu).

jarm 11-14-16 06:33 AM

Well my LS 460L does not have the vin numbers listed above and I still have this problem. I will try disconnecting the battery and report back.

jman

comotiger 11-14-16 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by salesguy (Post 9679572)
That's not what the TSB says actually. 2 conditions may exist to trigger the TSB replacement. #1 is what I'm talking about - which is not automatically updating the clock when DST is set to on. Take another look at the TSB and let me know if I'm mis-reading it, but it seems pretty clear to me:
• Clock will NOT automatically update for daylight savings time (with “Daylight Savings Time” set to “ON” in the navigation screen menu).

We are both correct. The TSB contradicts itself!!
1. Confirm that the customer experienced one of the following conditions:
- Clock will NOT automatically update for daylight savings time (with “Daylight Savings Time” set to “ON” in the navigation screen menu).
- Clock will NOT respond to manual adjustment through the navigation screen.

If one or both of these conditions is present, proceed to step 2 (clock replacement). (You are correct)
If one or both of these conditions did not occur, this bulletin does NOT apply. (I am correct)

I should get my vehicle fixed too! :)

kingbabar 11-15-16 07:52 AM

Well, I have mine scheduled for service and mentioned to them about the clock not adjusting and such. The service advisor tried to change it herself. Why? I guess to prove that I was stupid or wrong or, of course to make sure. Told them that the salesman saw it and he tried to change it as well.
Told them that I saw a TSB for it and one of the technicians confirmed it and parts will have to be ordered. I'll let you guys know next week what the outcome is.

jarm 11-17-16 06:51 AM

OK Boys this is what I did. I went out and disconnected the positive side of the battery. Left I off for a few minutes and it was fixed. I did set the clock adjustment to OFF on the daylight saving time and ON for the auto adjustment. Always hit the SAV button.

comotiger 11-17-16 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jarm (Post 9682789)
OK Boys this is what I did. I went out and disconnected the positive side of the battery. Left I off for a few minutes and it was fixed. I did set the clock adjustment to OFF on the daylight saving time and ON for the auto adjustment. Always hit the SAV button.

Good to know. But I think the problem is when the Auto Adjust setting is saved to ON, will your clock adjust automatically in the spring to advance an hour? For many of us, that automatic change does not happen. I can manually toggle the switch to OFF and then back to ON (which is essentially what you have done), and the clock will adjust to the correct time.

I will check my settings again, maybe DST must be set to OFF and Auto adjust to ON for the clock to work adjust automatically. I may have saved both settings to ON.

kingbabar 11-21-16 07:58 PM

Had my clock replaced at the dealer.

All is working now. Guess I'll have to wait until March to see if it changes the time automatically.

dlbuckls10 11-21-16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by kingbabar (Post 9687197)
Had my clock replaced at the dealer.

All is working now. Guess I'll have to wait until March to see if it changes the time automatically.

Hopefully your problem have been solved. Most likely it want change automatically and you will have to change it manually like the rest of us.

salesguy 03-24-17 09:58 AM

I took my LS to the dealer today and they looked into the clock issue discussed on this thread.

After much back and forth they concluded (quite decisively it seemed) that the clock is not designed to automatically switch from DST and back. The menu allows you to do that and they claimed the TSB is written ambiguously, but means to refer to the menu not working or the clock not responding to menu commands.

At any rate it's such a minor issue who cares. But I would be curious if anyone with an LS460 actually has their clock auto-adjust for DST or if the menu option is the only way it changes.

This was at Johnson Lexus in Durham, NC for those who might be local.

SW17LS 03-24-17 10:15 AM

Mine does not auto adjust

Gbp 03-24-17 10:51 AM

The clock in my LS460 doesn't auto-adjust for DST, either. One needs to use the menu to "tell" the clock when daylight saving time has started and ended so that the clock will adjust the hour accordingly.

dlbuckls10 03-24-17 11:39 AM

I had to adjust mines AGAIN and it never auto adjusted.