LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 03:59 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I initially installed the vais tech unit but was very dissatisfied. Very far from refined. I pre-ordered this and will give it a try. Will keep everybody posted once it arrives and I install it.

Last edited by JiffyPop; 08-30-16 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-16, 05:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JiffyPop
I initially installed the vais tech unit but was very dissatisfied. Very far from refined. I pre-ordered this and will give it a try. Will keep everybody posted once it arrives and I install it.
Jiffypop, did you install the VAIS IVIC5DR or something else? Can you share some details or concerns leading to your unhappy experience? Did you return it? The GROM product is quite different from the VAIS and Beatsonic products which mirror the smartphone, so maybe you will like this system better.
Old 09-01-16, 02:09 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would sign up for this if it was in So Cal - but this is all the way up in the Bay Area. Looks promising though.
Old 09-01-16, 03:07 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi, I have been in contact with them and asked for information regarding my concern that this will not work in the European 2008 LS 600hL that I have (since I now have the Vaistech ML+, that is different from the US model.....what the difference is ..I have'nt got a clue).

But...

...GROM tells me the VLine could, (should) work also in my model ....last e-mail after sending them details of how the Vaistech is connected sais: Yes, We are using pretty much the same connections.....
.....so I really hope I could take them on the offer $ 299,95 (after September 30. ..regular pricing is $ 499,95) ..... and if it don't work..got it in writing that I would get refunded if I ship it back....... Any comments from the group here ??

The VLine Specs:
Quad Core Cortex-A7 MCU 1.35GHz
1GB RAM, 16GB Flash
WiFi 2.4GHz, Bluetooth 2.1/4.0
MicroSD, HDMI/AV1/AV2 in for video and backup camera
USB2.0 x 2 ports
Operating Temperature: -40C - +85 C (-50F - 200 F)
Operating current: < 700mA
Standby current: ~5mA
SN Ratio: 95dB
DAC resolution: 24bit
Distortion: < 0.01%
Dimensions: W / H / D - 120* 160 * 33 mm
Weight: 400g
Enclosure: Silver metal

Is these data good enough to use it as a computer in the car ....have a 5Gb/month 4G Huawei wifi router already in the car.....and another question ...what would the best model android phone be for using it with:
https://www.prisguide.no/kategorier/mobiltelefon?n=18

Don't faint on the prices...1 US$ = NOK 8,3329 today .. so NOK 8332,90 will be 1000 US$'s...
My Samsung GALAXY S GT-I9000 was bought in 2010 and I'm really ready for a newer mobile phone

I would like to have online map, a lot of music (320) to store ...minimum 500Gb....would like 3-4 Tb if possible..

and also one thing to remember...we are here in Norway closing down the FM band next year, to only broadcasting on DAB+
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...casting#DAB.2B
..so also have to buy me a DAB+ adapter (with the dedicated antenna) to connect to the radio in the car...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...o_broadcasting
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/19/84...-fm-radio-2017

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 09-01-16 at 04:20 PM. Reason: regular price incerted ..and a bit more requests :-)
Old 09-01-16, 03:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Arvid
Is these data good enough to use it as a computer in the car ....have a 5Gb/month 4G Huawei wifi router already in the car.....and another question ...what would the best model android phone be for using it with:
https://www.prisguide.no/kategorier/mobiltelefon?n=18
Don't faint on the prices...1 US$ = NOK 8,3329 today ..
My Samsung GALAXY S GT-I9000 was bought in 2010 and I'm really ready for a newer mobile phone
I thought this GROM unit itself was like a tablet computer. Using your wifi router, you can download apps to it that will show up on the Nav screen. So I think you don't need to use a smartphone. It doesn't have massive storage, but perhaps you can hook up an external HD. They said this unit sits in the glove box, so you would have space for a HD also.
Old 09-10-16, 09:55 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Has anyone hard wired a hotspot into their car?
Old 09-10-16, 10:55 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't hardwire one in, but I have a power inverter in the center console that has a cord for my Mifi. But my Mifi battery lasts for at least 4 days or so.
Old 09-11-16, 07:47 PM
Toshi1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been lucky enough to be recently selected to beta test for my 07 LS!!!! I am pretty excited since I was about to get the Vaistech product but hope this product gives us a more refined experience, based on what people say about Vaistech. It's cool we can bring an updated experience to a car that is 9+ years old now using stock wiring and plugs...

I will give u guys an update and maybe even post a video how it works etc. My appoint for install is this Tues!!!!

Stay tuned...
Old 09-11-16, 08:35 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toshi1
I have been lucky enough to be recently selected to beta test for my 07 LS!!!! I am pretty excited since I was about to get the Vaistech product but hope this product gives us a more refined experience, based on what people say about Vaistech. It's cool we can bring an updated experience to a car that is 9+ years old now using stock wiring and plugs...

I will give u guys an update and maybe even post a video how it works etc. My appoint for install is this Tues!!!!

Stay tuned...
I'm definitely interested in hearing your feedback. I've been debating if I want to get this device. I'm leaning towards getting it just because if it's an awesome system I don't want to have missed on a low intro price.
Old 09-12-16, 07:15 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Please report everything You find out...Please ask when You get it installed , if the system would handle a 2 to 4Tb HDD connected to play/show music like the Vaistech ML+ does from my IPod Touch ?? If it does, I'm ordering asap... :-)
Update:
I have now got confirmation from a German ex. 2008 LS600hL owner that the US and European have the same connections on the original ML system, so I took a chance and ordered the Vline.... I have installed the Vaistech Media LinQ Plus myself , so know how to do that...but if You have the chance to take pictures under Your installation....Please do :-)

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 09-13-16 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 09-19-16, 06:56 PM
Toshi1
Driver School Candidate

OK guys after having the system in my car for a week, I have to say I am pretty excited I was selected for the beta program. It basically does exactly as one of the forum members said: ACTS as its own standalone tablet!! You are basically using the stock navigation screen to install apps from the app store to access and run the apps. The only thing your phone is used for is two things: you can use it for bluetooth audio streaming and it also needs to be used as a mobile hotspot for internet access, so make sure your phone is capable of that.

Positives:

My primary concern was to watch media when I was parked or when my kids were in my car for a semi long drive. It addressed all of these concerns except for one bug that we are still working through. Youtube is flawless and can be watched and sucks the data right out of my mobile phone. Netflix is the app that I am currently having issues with and will not stream yet. Vivo which I use for music videos is not in the play store, so I may have to side load that app. into the box so that I can use it. I have ESPN and other sports apps as well that stream with no issues. Whatever you can find in the app. store you can use. The current app store or android version I am not sure about.

You can also use the only USB slot for an ipod from what I have been told or mass storage device. I asked how large it can handle, he wasn't sure so 2TB or even 1TB might be pushing it. I wouldn't know so you will have to just try and go from there. It also has a separate SD card slot for movies or music that you have stored. You will probably just have to download VLC player and some sort of media player to get that to play. There is like 3 pages where you can put apps, but pretty sure you can download a ton of apps without any issues. You can even play games if you really wanted, but I am not a game type of person. I might DL angry birds just to try.

You also have the option for Apple Car Play. I haven't tested my wifes apple phone yet so not sure how it works yet. He did say there weren't many apps for apple because apple has chosen to limit that access due to safety concerns while driving.

All this can be done while driving BTW

You can also switch back and forth from stock navigation to the home screen for the Vline. It is very straight forward.

CONS:

There are some bugs we are working out still for just navigating through windows. It is basically all touch screen, but I think a bluetooth mouse will make a world of a difference. I am purchasing one very soon.

Netflix not working for me.

No mirroring, but no real need for that if you can find an app. to do what you were looking for.

Otherwise, not much of an issue really!! I would get this over all the others at the moment. I think it beats out Vais and beatsonic which is just an DVD/Nav over ride.

Shoot me quick questions and I will try and answer them for you.

Old 09-19-16, 07:04 PM
Toshi1
Driver School Candidate

Yes that's sportscenter app playing folks!!!! It's pretty amazing my 07 can do things only newer cars can do!!
Attached Thumbnails A/V Upgrade for Lexus-img_20160915_074702.jpg  
Old 09-19-16, 07:07 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I'm glad to hear a positive review. I've been debating ordering but now I'm going to have to put my order in.
Old 09-19-16, 07:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toshi1
OK guys after having the system in my car for a week, I have to say I am pretty excited I was selected for the beta program.
Otherwise, not much of an issue really!! I would get this over all the others at the moment. I think it beats out Vais and beatsonic which is just an DVD/Nav over ride. Shoot me quick questions and I will try and answer them for you.
Great to hear about your positive experience with Grom VLine. Hope the issue with Netflix is resolved.

I agree the Vais product offer DVD/Nav bypass only. But I am pretty sure this Beatsonic product is capable of DVD/Nav bypass and iPhone mirroring. What do you think?
IF-04EP: $359 http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

The VLine does not offer DVD/Nav bypass, correct? Based on what it can do, this feature may not be needed, but it would still be nice to have ability to play DVDs while moving.

If you get a chance, please check out the smartphone and Nav bypass thread I started today. Thanks!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-2014-ls.html
Old 09-20-16, 03:01 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

One more DVD/Nav bypass product , had it for years on my 2008 LS600hL, and very happy with it....they say it will fit all model years....:
http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138
Regards
Arvid

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus