LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS 460 Transmission Dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 02:32 PM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpresco
I agree with avoiding the chain "repair" business. I looked at the http://car-part.com/ site. For $1200 to $1600 for a used, relatively low mileage unit plus a day's labor to change it out would be my choice, even if I had to have the car towed to the best facility I could find. I would look for someone who does performance transmissions (that's just me). Visit the shops and look around. If stuff is scattered everywhere with cars up on jack stands outside, that raises a red flag to me. Good luck in your quest.
Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. We are getting the car removed from the Lexus dealer today and have AAMCO take a look at it. I have also started looking at used transmission per the suggestions from numerous folks on the thread. Going to see what AAMCO says then go from there. Still going to get a hold of corporate and also see what to do about Firestone since it looks like they did a shotty repair job of the water pump. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-26-16, 02:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by fuad384
Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. We are getting the car removed from the Lexus dealer today and have AAMCO take a look at it. I have also started looking at used transmission per the suggestions from numerous folks on the thread. Going to see what AAMCO says then go from there. Still going to get a hold of corporate and also see what to do about Firestone since it looks like they did a shotty repair job of the water pump. Will keep you guys posted.
Sounds like a plan. I hope this experience does not sour you on the LS. Maybe Corporate will come thru and give you the $2000 even if you don't replace transmission at the dealership. Good luck!
Old 07-26-16, 02:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Like others have said, I'd buy a used unit with say 60,000 miles on it for under $2,000 and have a reputable transmission place install it. Talk to the shop, explain to them you'll be buying a used unit...see what they say. They may not warranty it obviously, but the concern needs to be will they be able to install it? They should. And will they stand by that aspect of their work? They should.

Id probably want them to check the fluid as well, which most independents probably won't be able to do. Afterwards I'd drive it for 10,000 miles or so, then do a simple drain and fill.

The coolant lost and overheat is also a major concern. Did the car get too hot? If so you've got a whole other can of serious worms to deal with. Serious worms...I'm talking crawl into the bottom of your feet and explode out of the top of your head, worms. I hear they have those in Japan

And I wouldn't worry about the control arms right now (I swear every Lexus dealer is preprogrammed to tell all LS customers that "your control arms will need replacement soon").
Old 07-26-16, 04:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Here's a website with a few transmissions for the LS:
http://www.buyusedengine.com/used_tr...us&model=LS460

One of them is a trans from a 2008 with 9k miles for 1600 dollars! Can't beat that.
Old 07-26-16, 09:20 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

And get a second/third opinion. I had a 96 explorer when I was 20 that I had just bought. Transmission went out and I was told by a couple different shops including the dealer that the tranny was shot. Ended up taking it in to a 3rd shop to get the work done...signed off on it...then got a call that it was just a solenoid.

Old 07-27-16, 04:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here's a website with a few transmissions for the LS:
http://www.buyusedengine.com/used_tr...us&model=LS460

One of them is a trans from a 2008 with 9k miles for 1600 dollars! Can't beat that.
I cannot believe how cheap these transmissions are, I'm almost tempted to buy one of them just to have it around, but I'll probably never need it. Are they so cheap because the demand just isn't there? Because these units are probably worth $7,000 new.
Old 07-27-16, 04:25 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I'd just like to add something on the leaking fuel pump gaskets...what I'd do is I'd pull the engine covers off and inspect them with a flashlight. Get a nice flashlight and look right below the fuel pumps and check for oil staining on the valve cover, it's easy enough to do and you'll really be able to see just how badly you need gaskets (or not).

You can start the car - be careful of the moving serpentine belt - and flash that light just bellow the fuel pumps towards the back of the valve cover....oil should be dripping down the valve cover right onto your exhaust manifold. If that isn't happening I wouldn't bother doing those gaskets right now. You can literally check them four or five different times to make sure.
Old 07-27-16, 04:29 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

In addition to how cheap they are, I can't believe how many there are.

Of course shipping is $5000!
Old 07-27-16, 04:42 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
In addition to how cheap they are, I can't believe how many there are.

Of course shipping is $5000!
Half of them are located in MA, can't you just throw them into the trunk of your Ferrari and deliver them? I'm sure someone will give you gas money and perhaps some Dunkin Donuts gift cards
Old 07-28-16, 03:04 PM
fuad384
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Evening everyone,

Quick Update:

Spoke with Lexus service advisor Tuesday evening. Was able to give us any answers to our questions about why the transmission went out so fast. He also insinuated that we were not keeping the car up to date with the maintainance and he really needed to get home to his family. Needless to say the conversation was not great.
AAMCO now has the car but says they will have to charge 695.00 to open the transmission and really see what's wrong. Says he can't tell from the outside. Never mentioned this up front when telling them about our transmissions issues. Now I am a llittle suspect of getting any work done by them.
Called Davenport. They don't install used transmissions. They just replace them new like the Lexus dealer so I am looking for another independent lexus repair shop. Anyone know of a another reputable shop in the central dallas area that might be good to contact?

Not going to lie. It's been a tough week. Seems like all of these dealerships and repair shops are only interested in getting one thing.

We still have the issue with Firestone to deal with since it looks like they messed up the water pump installation.

We still intend on contacting corporate to see what they can do but it's looking a little beak right now.

Any more helpful information is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for everything! TGIF tomorrow.

FK
Old 07-28-16, 03:18 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Good Evening everyone,

Quick Update:

Spoke with Lexus service advisor Tuesday evening. Was able to give us any answers to our questions about why the transmission went out so fast. He also insinuated that we were not keeping the car up to date with the maintainance and he really needed to get home to his family. Needless to say the conversation was not great.
AAMCO now has the car but says they will have to charge 695.00 to open the transmission and really see what's wrong. Says he can't tell from the outside. Never mentioned this up front when telling them about our transmissions issues. Now I am a llittle suspect of getting any work done by them.
Called Davenport. They don't install used transmissions. They just replace them new like the Lexus dealer so I am looking for another independent lexus repair shop. Anyone know of a another reputable shop in the central dallas area that might be good to contact?

Not going to lie. It's been a tough week. Seems like all of these dealerships and repair shops are only interested in getting one thing.

We still have the issue with Firestone to deal with since it looks like they messed up the water pump installation.

We still intend on contacting corporate to see what they can do but it's looking a little beak right now.

Any more helpful information is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for everything! TGIF tomorrow.

FK
This can be a painful process. As with any repair the shop has to max profits; it's their job. You just need a competent mechanic. My mechanic works on Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porshce. So he enjoys taking a break to work on my Lexus/Toyota. He has Techstream and Star Diag. Maybe you can find a dude like this. It may not seem like good advice, but try to find the bright spot in this situation,
Old 07-28-16, 03:19 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Good Evening everyone,

Quick Update:

FK
Sorry, FK, I feel your pain. It seems like when it rains, it really pours. With kids in tow, this cannot be fun to deal with for the next several days. Hang in there, bud.

About AAMCO, why not just go ahead and tell them to change the transmission? Tell them there is no need to open and check the one you have. Unless of course they refuse to change without first charging $695. That would be slimy. What is the labor charge for installing the used transmission? You want to get this car running again, so you have no choice but to put another transmission in. You can then take the car to Davenport or other indy shop for the water pump, and don't worry about the CAs just yet.
Old 07-28-16, 03:52 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask dealer how much JUST for transmission including the $2,000 goodwill.
Old 07-28-16, 04:28 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Exactly!. That's what I said few days back. If I were OP, that's what I would do. All these shops are there to make money including dealerships not just dealerships!. Any how, good luck OP.
Old 07-28-16, 04:38 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I believe OP mentioned on parallel thread that new transmission was 9700 before goodwill !

Quick Reply: 08 LS 460 Transmission Dead