LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 08:46 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Your vehicle will not perform any differently whether using 91 or 101 octane. That's not my opinion, but fact. I forgot to mention that the only difference between 91 and 93, is that some gasoline providers have no ethanol in 93. It varies by region, but Chevron here in Canada has no ethanol in 93, but does in 91. I believe Shell does the same. I'm not a fan of ethanol, and the potential for adverse side-effects is seen to cause a host of other issues, including carbon and coking of BMW's emissions systems.
Ummmmmm very interesting stuff about ethanol,definitely gotta look into that,good info man,much appreciated...
Old 06-28-16, 09:48 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I typically fill 92 at Sams Club. Costco every once in a while when I go by one. Every now and then I'll also fill up on non ethanol 93 from BP when I have 20 cents off. There is also a [performance] gas station around a city I visit every now and then that has higher octane gas (up to 110 I believe as well as leaded gas if you need it) that I used to fill up with 95 non-ethanol gas on the Audi about once a year for fun (and yes I know there really is no performance improvement per se since the car isn't tuned for it, but after a few months of 92 I put in 95 at the end of the year just because). Haven't tried it on the Lexus though since I'm never there or empty enough to fill up.
Old 06-28-16, 11:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
What exactly is dino???
"Dino" is short for Dinosaur....the myth being that crude oil was naturally produced by the remains of dead dinosaurs and associated vegetation. Hence, "Fossil Fuels". Synthetic oil is man-made, developed by the Germans during the Second World War as a result of crude oil shortages. You may notice that Sinclair Oil Corp has a logo of a dinosaur.
Old 06-28-16, 11:18 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
"Dino" is short for Dinosaur....the myth being that crude oil was naturally produced by the remains of dead dinosaurs and associated vegetation. Hence, "Fossil Fuels". Synthetic oil is man-made, developed by the Germans during the Second World War as a result of crude oil shortages. You may notice that Sinclair Oil Corp has a logo of a dinosaur.
Oh ok,thanks,sounds real prehistoric,I'll stick with synthetic,lol

Last edited by steelers6; 06-28-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-28-16, 11:35 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I mostly use discount gasoline from a local supplier, Prime, or from Speedway which apparently recently bought out Merit. I usually put in 93, but on occasion use 89 octane. It used to be that there was a 10 cent difference between 87, 89 and 93 octane. Now it is usually 20 cents difference and sometimes 93 is 30 and even 40 cents higher than 89. On those occasions I will put in the 89.

In my 612 I use Shell 93 exclusively. I have the car serviced at a Aston Martin dealership, but the service manager and the master mechanic were both long term Ferrari employees. They will not put anything but Shell products (gas, oil, fluids) in the car.

Based on recommendations I've read on this forum, I did buy a case of Techron and add it to my LS and my wife's Jag S-Type. She's filled her tank with 89 for many years now with the cheapest gas she can find and the car has run fine. Unfortunately she will use a dollar's worth of gas driving around to save 2 cents a gallon at the pump.
Old 06-28-16, 11:43 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Is Techron considered to be one of the best fuel additives out there???
Old 06-28-16, 11:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by steelers6
Is Techron considered to be one of the best fuel additives out there???
It is considered to be THE best..
Old 06-28-16, 02:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Ha! It's just regular non-synthetic, non-blend oil.
Old 06-29-16, 07:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Ha! It's just regular non-synthetic, non-blend oil.
OK.

Could you expand on this a bit? My reading says otherwise. If what you say is true, that would be very hard to obtain a patent for (and it is Patented). PEA's in the bottle are high compared to whats at the pump. Yes, PEA is used by Gumout and other makes, but I believe that Techron is an established product.
Old 06-29-16, 08:10 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would only use Super Unleaded so my O2 sensors and other parts will last longer... :-)
Old 06-29-16, 08:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

It's clear that almost everyone uses some grade of high- or mid-octane premium unleaded fuel. Modern engines are able to adjust to any grade of fuel. Maybe our cars will run a bit rougher or have less power on regular unleaded, but it probably won't badly damage the engine unless used exclusively. Besides, just a quick back-of-envelope calculation shows that one would save about $200 a year (10000 miles driven, 20 mpg, differential of 40 cents between regular and premium) using regular over premium. Are these savings worth the potential hassle of engine damage? I think not.

Regardless of brand names, premium blends are probably 99% identical. Are you going to drive a few miles out of your way ($$) to choose a specific brand or just fill up at your neighborhood discount gas station? I say fill'er up wherever you want, and use the cheapest premium gas that you can find.

You say "my car runs smoother on specific brand gasoline over another"? I say it's all in your head!

Last edited by comotiger; 06-29-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 09:05 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I mostly use discount gasoline from a local supplier, Prime, or from Speedway which apparently recently bought out Merit. I usually put in 93, but on occasion use 89 octane. It used to be that there was a 10 cent difference between 87, 89 and 93 octane. Now it is usually 20 cents difference and sometimes 93 is 30 and even 40 cents higher than 89. On those occasions I will put in the 89.

In my 612 I use Shell 93 exclusively. I have the car serviced at a Aston Martin dealership, but the service manager and the master mechanic were both long term Ferrari employees. They will not put anything but Shell products (gas, oil, fluids) in the car.

Based on recommendations I've read on this forum, I did buy a case of Techron and add it to my LS and my wife's Jag S-Type. She's filled her tank with 89 for many years now with the cheapest gas she can find and the car has run fine. Unfortunately she will use a dollar's worth of gas driving around to save 2 cents a gallon at the pump.
89 is a ripoff. Sits right in the middle of 87, 93 in price and cost more per octane.
Old 06-29-16, 09:13 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by litesoarer
89 is a ripoff. Sits right in the middle of 87, 93 in price and cost more per octane.
Many stations have 91 not 93 octane. I doubt whether it makes a difference whether you use 91 or 93.
Old 06-29-16, 09:22 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Many stations have 91 not 93 octane. I doubt whether it makes a difference whether you use 91 or 93.
Depends on the state.

I will only fill with 89 if it's better value per octane.
Old 06-29-16, 09:43 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Depends on the state.

I will only fill with 89 if it's better value per octane.
I only use premium (91/93) for my Lexus regardless of cost. One less decision to make

Quick Reply: Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????