LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mark Levinson sub kicked the bucket

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 03:35 PM
slaapen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson sub kicked the bucket

So my Mark levinson sub finally went out and man it makes a big difference what that sub does. Now I'm in a position to either get a factory sub and just switch it out or just out back in my JL audio sub. I just need to source a stronger amp. Like a 1000w amp to push my sub. I do love the trunk space with no sub in it but I do love my music as well. Any inputs?
Old 04-28-16, 04:36 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd keep it OE, but that's just me.
The following users liked this post:
BlazeViper (07-25-21)
Old 04-28-16, 04:41 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Shallow JL seems like the obvious choice here
Old 04-28-16, 04:44 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.car-part.com

I seem to recall finding a good used one on there for cheap a year or two ago.
Old 04-29-16, 09:33 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I'd keep it OE, but that's just me.
No....it's not just you. This has been discussed sooo many times. The ML System is fine tuned and using aftermarket speakers and components messes things up. Period.

Yes the ML Sub is pricey, but you can get them on Ebay for a lot less $$ than the dealer. Or go to a wrecker. Right now on Ebay theres a brand new OEM one for $599 and a used one for $289
BlazeViper (07-25-21)
Old 04-29-16, 10:12 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No....it's not just you. This has been discussed sooo many times. The ML System is fine tuned and using aftermarket speakers and components messes things up. Period.

Yes the ML Sub is pricey, but you can get them on Ebay for a lot less $$ than the dealer. Or go to a wrecker. Right now on Ebay theres a brand new OEM one for $599 and a used one for $289
I disagree. I replaced just the sub in my ML system with much success. It actually sounded richer & fuller with the new sub in than the original one. When my current ML sub goes I'll definitely be going with an aftermarket one again.

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 04-29-16 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 12:31 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I disagree. I replaced just the sub in my ML system with much success. It actually sounded richer & fuller with the new sub in than the original one. When my current ML sub hours I'll definitely be going with an aftermarket one again.
What aftermarket sub replacement and where did you purchased it that sounded better than the original ML sub? So was it for the 430 or 460? My brother 460 ML sub went out and the dealership wanted a grand to replace it. He shopped around and the stereo shops told him they could install a box sub in his trunk with good deep bass is all they could do unless he wanted the whole system replaced. He passed on that and decided to go with the original but haven't had it replaced yet.
Old 04-29-16, 12:43 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
What aftermarket sub replacement and where did you purchased it that sounded better than the original ML sub? So was it for the 430 or 460? My brother 460 ML sub went out and the dealership wanted a grand to replace it. He shopped around and the stereo shops told him they could install a box sub in his trunk with good deep bass is all they could do unless he wanted the whole system replaced. He passed on that and decided to go with the original but haven't had it replaced yet.
It was a replacement for my LS430. I used a Digital Designs direct replacement installed for less than $300. While I wasn't blown away like having a JL 12" in a box you could definitely tell the difference. Anyone who tells you to use the OEM sub as a replacement probably hasn't ever seen one because the magnet is weak, the rubber is horrendously thin and narrow. In fact all my ML speakers failed and they were all done in by the deteriorating rubber surrounds that were cracked and turned to dust. Side by side it's apples and oranges to me. I get that it an ML tuned system and for the most part I can agree with the placement of the speakers is optimal but anyone who has actual seen the quality and construction of the speaker would be shocked. I mean just look at the pictures of them or the one on eBay, it's pathetic. The magnets on 5.25" Focals are stronger than an ML 8" sub. Anyone who knows anything about car or home audio will tell you replacing the sub with another $1k OEM replacement is foolish.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. Jekyll:
BlazeViper (07-25-21), dcipher7 (05-15-20)
Old 04-29-16, 12:46 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
To your point about the box I agree, that's the single best way to obtain the ultimate performance from your sub as a deck mount is highly inefficient. But to save space and improve the quality over stock you can achieve this with a new sub for a few hundred bucks.
Old 04-29-16, 02:35 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

To your point about the box I agree, that's the single best way to obtain the ultimate performance from your sub as a deck mount is highly inefficient. But to save space and improve the quality over stock you can achieve this with a new sub for a few hundred bucks.
Thanks and I will share this info with him.
Old 04-29-16, 06:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It was a replacement for my LS430. I used a Digital Designs direct replacement installed for less than $300. While I wasn't blown away like having a JL 12" in a box you could definitely tell the difference. Anyone who tells you to use the OEM sub as a replacement probably hasn't ever seen one because the magnet is weak, the rubber is horrendously thin and narrow. In fact all my ML speakers failed and they were all done in by the deteriorating rubber surrounds that were cracked and turned to dust. Side by side it's apples and oranges to me. I get that it an ML tuned system and for the most part I can agree with the placement of the speakers is optimal but anyone who has actual seen the quality and construction of the speaker would be shocked. I mean just look at the pictures of them or the one on eBay, it's pathetic. The magnets on 5.25" Focals are stronger than an ML 8" sub. Anyone who knows anything about car or home audio will tell you replacing the sub with another $1k OEM replacement is foolish.
I won't argue about the perceived quality of the OE sub. If it doesn't have a HUGE magnet, colorful foam surrounds and some funky graphics, it must be crap.

My point isn't whether or not the OE has the same build quality, but all the other more important aspects of the speaker.....freq response, sensitivity, wattage, etc etc. AS I said, this has been bashed about all over CL before. OE sub in an OE tuned system is the way to go. We agree to disagree.
rael (02-27-22)
Old 07-24-21, 03:13 PM
josh1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me if I'm wrong. The sub in my GX 470 (Mark Levinson) is shot. Rather than repair it, I'm choosing to go with a Bazooka 6 1/2" passive sub. I dont see what problem I'll have, do you? I made sure it is rated a 8ohm like everything else. I'll just strip the wires back from the original speaker connection, and go straight to the new speaker.
Old 07-24-21, 03:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Specs say sensitivity is 100 dB, don't think I believe that. But yea hook it up that's it. .......wait the one I looked up says 4 ohms which one do you have exactly.
Old 07-24-21, 03:38 PM
josh1234
Driver School Candidate

Old 07-24-21, 03:39 PM
josh1234
Driver School Candidate

These are the specs

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson sub kicked the bucket