LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Changed second wheel set and tpms started working without needing to register ID ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 04:32 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Changed second wheel set and tpms started working without needing to register ID ??

Dealer had a 2 week waiting list for tire change so I got my wheel I kept there and changed them myself. So after that I connect techstream in order to register the tpms ID of that set since they have their own, but had the following error: id registration failed due to a communication error with the ecu while in initialization mode. Took a break and go for a ride to test the new wheel. To my surprise the tpms monitor started initializing on their own and after 12 minutes they actually showed all 5 psi value ?? I though when you changed tpms sensor you had to register new IDs... Am I missing something ? I checked with techstream and the IDs of the old set are still the ones showing.

Last edited by Vansibel; 04-20-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 07:00 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Dealer had a 2 week waiting list for tire change so I got my wheel I kept there and changed them myself. So after that I connect techstream in order to register the tpms ID of that set since they have their own, but had the following error: id registration failed due to a communication error with the ecu while in initialization mode. Took a break and go for a ride to test the new wheel. At my surprise the tpms monitor started initializing on their own and after 12 minutes they actually showed all 5 psi value ?? I though when you changed tpms sensor you had to register new IDs... Am I missing something ? I checked with techstream and the ID of the old set are still the one showing.
Were the other wheels in the vasinity when you plugged in the tech stream?
Old 04-20-16, 08:58 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Were the other wheels in the vasinity when you plugged in the tech stream?
Yes, you think the other wheels sensor might have interfered ? That could explain the error from techstream but I don't understand how the new set of wheel with different sensor could work without registering their ID (when that happen the other set of wheel were not close).
Old 04-21-16, 07:25 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Yes, you think the other wheels sensor might have interfered ? That could explain the error from techstream but I don't understand how the new set of wheel with different sensor could work without registering their ID (when that happen the other set of wheel were not close).
I think hfahmy's point is that the car picked up a signal from the original wheels/sensors when they were in the vicinity, and those are the pressures displaying. Your current sensors still need to be registered, and it sounds like there was a glitch in that process, and you'll need to try again.
Old 04-21-16, 09:16 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

keep driving around, away from the tires with the original sensors... about 30 minutes, your dash will tell you to have the dealer check the TPMS
Old 04-21-16, 09:44 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

If the other wheels were close, there could be many possibilities. I would say, do nothing unless the car reports a TPMS errors and then reprogram while other wheels are far from the car.
Old 04-21-16, 10:33 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
If the other wheels were close, there could be many possibilities. I would say, do nothing unless the car reports a TPMS errors and then reprogram while other wheels are far from the car.
I agree that waiting until the error message pops up can't hurt. Having said this, FWIW, you should be able to program new sensor IDs with or without the other wheels being nearby. I've done it many, many times, as do tire places that store wheels for you.
Old 04-21-16, 10:43 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by caha14
I agree that waiting until the error message pops up can't hurt. Having said this, FWIW, you should be able to program new sensor IDs with or without the other wheels being nearby. I've done it many, many times, as do tire places that store wheels for you.
Interesting and Good to know! I though that this might be the reason for the error message.
Old 04-21-16, 10:52 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

It picked up your old wheels near your car...the LS isn't that savvy with TPMS. I've learned that many times
Old 04-21-16, 11:27 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The update for carista is available to allow tpms programming but they want some money to do it now..
Old 04-21-16, 01:17 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lextrician
The update for carista is available to allow tpms programming but they want some money to do it now..
Good to know! Will definitely look into that
Old 04-21-16, 01:25 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caha14
I think hfahmy's point is that the car picked up a signal from the original wheels/sensors when they were in the vicinity, and those are the pressures displaying. Your current sensors still need to be registered, and it sounds like there was a glitch in that process, and you'll need to try again.
They do showed very different psi than my old set... I mean can they really pick signal from more than 3 meters away and through the wall ? And while I left from home they were still showing value. Maybe they picked the signal from home before I left and my failed attempt at registering new ID might have forced a re-initialization when I started the car so now it get different psi value even from the same sensor... who knows.
Old 04-21-16, 02:52 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh really...cool
Old 04-21-16, 03:23 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it ain't much but waiting for price to drop it's like 39.99 a year or less. Buy I hoping for a one time fee like the rest of the carista stuff.
Old 04-21-16, 03:50 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Yeah it ain't much but waiting for price to drop it's like 39.99 a year or less. Buy I hoping for a one time fee like the rest of the carista stuff.
Yearly pricing ? Yeah a one time fee would have been more appropriate. It's not like you need to keep updating the app for it to work on past model/years... I'd prefer paying a bit more for a "one time fee" solution that I know would keep working on my car.

Quick Reply: Changed second wheel set and tpms started working without needing to register ID ??