LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Welcome to Club Lexus! LS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 06:05 PM
OKhunter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking into this thread to say hello and check out the cars. I need to pick up a nice commuter that I can use for customers. The LS looks like what I want and I'm in search now. You guys have some great looking cars.
Old 01-18-17, 06:44 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

First post! Just bought my first Lexus - '08 LS460 SWB with 88k miles. It does have rebuilt title (relatively minor collision - driver side door/fender/wheel/bumper cover replaced - no airbag deployment. Fixed by a family member who was actually planning on keeping the car for himself). I'm one of the "victims - HA!" of the VW diesel scandal and needed to replace my ole' trusty '12 Jetta TDI. Since VW wants to give me almost $19K for a 5 year old car with 76k miles, how could I say no?
Already registered with Lexus drivers website and the car appears to be METICULOUSLY maintained 2 owner vehicle. Every single service was performed at the same dealership, and the car appears to have been sold as a CPO (second owner).
If the car is half as reliable as "they" say, my wife will probably drive it into the ground. I was set on buying an M35/37X, but one drive in the LS and there was no going back .
The car is pretty loaded. It came with Navigation/Levinson/Advanced Parking Pkg and Comfort Pkg - from what I can tell. Still figuring everything out.

Old 01-19-17, 07:56 PM
CoolBlueJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Sounds like you got a great deal and your car is nice! Enjoy.
Old 01-21-17, 04:38 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I had speculated that the only way to get a 460 for under $10-$12000 would be for it to be a rebuilt title and or have close to or over 200,000 miles. One thing surprises me with yours. BTW, your car looks beautiful and looks almost identical to mine and is almost identically optioned as well.

Given the low mileage, your car is a $20,000 car all day long. Usually the threshold for a company to total a car is 80% of replacement value. Given how minor the repairs needed were, I am shocked it was totaled it the first place. Guessing the PO of the 460 was not a fault in the accident and demanded a new vehicle as otherwise, I just do not see how a door, bumper cover, fender and one wheel could come anywhere close to even $10,000.

The one area where you will have issues is the event that some hits your car. Due to it being a rebuilt title, the adjuster will most definitely offer you peanuts for what appears to be a beautiful and properly repaired 460. Also, many insurance companies will not touch a rebuilt titled car with a 10 foot pole.
Old 01-22-17, 01:01 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I had speculated that the only way to get a 460 for under $10-$12000 would be for it to be a rebuilt title and or have close to or over 200,000 miles. One thing surprises me with yours. BTW, your car looks beautiful and looks almost identical to mine and is almost identically optioned as well.

Given the low mileage, your car is a $20,000 car all day long. Usually the threshold for a company to total a car is 80% of replacement value. Given how minor the repairs needed were, I am shocked it was totaled it the first place. Guessing the PO of the 460 was not a fault in the accident and demanded a new vehicle as otherwise, I just do not see how a door, bumper cover, fender and one wheel could come anywhere close to even $10,000.

The one area where you will have issues is the event that some hits your car. Due to it being a rebuilt title, the adjuster will most definitely offer you peanuts for what appears to be a beautiful and properly repaired 460. Also, many insurance companies will not touch
a rebuilt titled car with a 10 foot pole.
Well, it's tough to say what the insurance adjuster was thinking,.... Bottom line is they totaled the car.... My insurance company is AIG, and they hand no problem insuring the vehicle. If they charge me full premium, they should pay out accordingly. Hopefully it won't come to it.
Old 01-22-17, 01:55 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stasek
Well, it's tough to say what the insurance adjuster was thinking,.... Bottom line is they totaled the car.... My insurance company is AIG, and they hand no problem insuring the vehicle. If they charge me full premium, they should pay out accordingly. Hopefully it won't come to it.
While I see no issue with them paying $12,000 plus taxes, the chances of finding a replacement rebuilt title 460 that required next to nothing (comparably) to fix are going to be slim to none. The usual rule of thumb is the rebuilt titled cars are valued 30% less than a clean title, but that might just be in TN.

Moreover, most large banks will not finance rebuilt titled vehicles with Bank of America leading the way. I believe Chase might be the same, but know for sure BOA does not. You might want to get agreed payout as part of your policy considering the difficulty in replacing it should someone hit you.
Old 01-22-17, 06:30 PM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Junglequac
While I see no issue with them paying $12,000 plus taxes, the chances of finding a replacement rebuilt title 460 that required next to nothing (comparably) to fix are going to be slim to none. The usual rule of thumb is the rebuilt titled cars are valued 30% less than a clean title, but that might just be in TN.

Moreover, most large banks will not finance rebuilt titled vehicles with Bank of America leading the way. I believe Chase might be the same, but know for sure BOA does not. You might want to get agreed payout as part of your policy considering the difficulty in replacing it should someone hit you.
I paid cash for the car, so no issue with loan. The plan is to keep the car till the proverbial wheels fall off. As far as potential payout goes in case of total loss, I could call the insurance agent and find out. 20 years ago I had a Mitsubishi 3000GT that had rebuilt title. At that time I think I paid around $8k for it. When it was stolen, State Farm paid out full value (~18k if I remember correctly), but obviously things have changed since then.
Old 01-24-17, 05:03 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
First post! Just bought my first Lexus - '08 LS460 SWB with 88k miles. It does have rebuilt title (relatively minor collision - driver side door/fender/wheel/bumper cover replaced - no airbag deployment. Fixed by a family member who was actually planning on keeping the car for himself). I'm one of the "victims - HA!" of the VW diesel scandal and needed to replace my ole' trusty '12 Jetta TDI. Since VW wants to give me almost $19K for a 5 year old car with 76k miles, how could I say no?
Already registered with Lexus drivers website and the car appears to be METICULOUSLY maintained 2 owner vehicle. Every single service was performed at the same dealership, and the car appears to have been sold as a CPO (second owner).
If the car is half as reliable as "they" say, my wife will probably drive it into the ground. I was set on buying an M35/37X, but one drive in the LS and there was no going back .
The car is pretty loaded. It came with Navigation/Levinson/Advanced Parking Pkg and Comfort Pkg - from what I can tell. Still figuring everything out.

Congrats and the purchase! Beautiful car and I'm sure your wife will love it.
Old 01-25-17, 09:54 PM
Carlous460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS 430 2002 White Pearl
GX 470 2006 Gold
LS 460 2008 Green
Old 01-29-17, 04:47 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey all, first time Lexus owner here. Long time Honda guy, finally to the point in life that I needed something a little more "grown-up", still wanted reliability and to be able to work on it myself, so found this great 2010 LS 460 L AWD w/ 80K for $23990 and couldn't be happier. Have already fixed a few issues with assistance from threads found here (namely the recirculation door for the A/C coming off track; found via service records over on Lexus Owners) and will likely lurk here for a long time to come.

Came with Mark Levinson sound, Comfort Package, and Luxury Package. Silver out, black in. Needed tires when I bought it, so I had him knock $1K off the asking price and had some Conti ExtremeContact DW's installed yesterday. Spent some time today polishing up the exhaust tips (with help from here) and taking polish to a few spots where it looked like someone tried to use a brillow pad on the body , then hit it with Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 and Spray Wax and she's gorgeous. Now to find a good PDR guy in Austin and get some touchups and paint correction.

She'll see an air ride controller and wheels at some point, but I don't think I'll get to crazy with this one. Plan is to drive her for a decade or more

Last edited by 213374U; 01-29-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 04:42 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 213374U
Hey all, first time Lexus owner here. Long time Honda guy, finally to the point in life that I needed something a little more "grown-up", still wanted reliability and to be able to work on it myself, so found this great 2010 LS 460 L AWD w/ 80K for $23990 and couldn't be happier. Have already fixed a few issues with assistance from threads found here (namely the recirculation door for the A/C coming off track; found via service records over on Lexus Owners) and will likely lurk here for a long time to come.

Came with Mark Levinson sound, Comfort Package, and Luxury Package. Silver out, black in. Needed tires when I bought it, so I had him knock $1K off the asking price and had some Conti ExtremeContact DW's installed yesterday. Spent some time today polishing up the exhaust tips (with help from here) and taking polish to a few spots where it looked like someone tried to use a brillow pad on the body , then hit it with Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 and Spray Wax and she's gorgeous. Now to find a good PDR guy in Austin and get some touchups and paint correction.

She'll see an air ride controller and wheels at some point, but I don't think I'll get to crazy with this one. Plan is to drive her for a decade or more
Congrats and you got one heck of a deal on a 2010. You are going to love it and there are tons of ideas for wheels as well around here.
Old 01-30-17, 10:14 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Congrats on a great car, and welcome to CL! Best wishes for many miles and years of driving this car!

The car sounds great from your description. But without pics (inside and out), it didn't happen .
Old 01-30-17, 01:02 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The car sounds great from your description. But without pics (inside and out), it didn't happen .
Just picked up some touch up paint and cowl clips over lunch so pics will come shortly
Old 01-30-17, 05:13 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family! Please free to PM with any mod questions that you may have.
Old 02-10-17, 03:20 PM
Natelw
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New (to me) 2014 LS 460 AWD - white

Hi all:

This will be my third Lexus ('06 GS300 AWD and '13 RX350). I live up in the Seattle area and had gone the SUV Toyota route as of late ('15 Highlander Limited) but just missed that extra something you get when you jump up to a Lexus and I always wanted an LS. Heck my wife's 2011 Sienna Ltd is nicer than the Highlander!

I searched all over the country and found one I believe at a good price here in Washington but over in Spokane (I live 25 miles from Seattle). I was looking closer to the Seattle area and saw two near me one at Lexus of Bellevue (2014 White, Parchment interior, Mark Levinson, AWD 31k miles) and the same model at Lexus of Spokane with 29k miles but it had gold pinstripes (only difference I could see - anyone know why some have pinstripes and some don't?).

Anyway, the Spokane dealership agreed to remove the pinstripes and ship it over to me for only $300 and seeing as I saved over $4,000 compared to the Bellevue LS, I think it was a good deal. I pity the person who paid $4,000+ for the one in Bellevue just because it is Lexus of Bellevue (if you've never been, it has a putting green, huge cafe and play area for the kids-really nice but you pay for it when you purchase there). Anyway....hi all. I look forward to finding info on here through the years. Any thoughts on immediate modifications (i.e., headrest DVD - I have 3 kids under 10 -, tinted, windows, etc.)

2014 LS460 AWD

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! LS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE!