LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

is there any way to make my mark levinson speaker louder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 01:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

On another note, did you try turning the amp up to 11?
Old 01-27-16, 01:48 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
OP has a ML system....... NOT a ST (Spinal Tap) system.
Old 01-27-16, 02:07 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Why is everyone hating on the OP? It doesn't really help anyone if everyone is going at him.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, there's no real way to make the stock ML system 'louder' without replacing a significant amount of hardware. With the current ML system it starts distorting once you turn it up to about 95% and this could be due to either the amp or the speakers themselves. So at the very least you'd need new speakers and a new amp (or amps).
The following users liked this post:
Mbbalagj (09-05-20)
Old 01-27-16, 02:21 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Why is everyone hating on the OP? It doesn't really help anyone if everyone is going at him.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, there's no real way to make the stock ML system 'louder' without replacing a significant amount of hardware. With the current ML system it starts distorting once you turn it up to about 95% and this could be due to either the amp or the speakers themselves. So at the very least you'd need new speakers and a new amp (or amps).
I'm not hating. It's just a very weird question. I don't if anyone who could sit in the car, crank it up before it distorts and still be able to listen to it comfortable. So I think most have legitimate responses.

But imagine someone posting can I make my LS faster? What's faster? ET? Top speed? Passing gears? Specifics lead to better responses and suggestions.
Old 01-27-16, 02:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861

I don't think anyone was "hating on" the OP. All the jibes were light-hearted and in good humor. The advise you gave him was identical to those of myself and others here already. I've been at the butt end of good-hearted fun, in keeping with the spirit and rules of this Forum.
Old 01-27-16, 02:36 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

No one is hating on the OP. Actually my question was legit. Hearing loss can certainly effect the actual volume to ones ears.
Old 01-27-16, 02:57 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Well, we don't really know much about the person who started this thread.

It could be someone who has a problem with their car audio system and needs the help of some of our experts. I can think of several maladjustments of the speaker balance and equalizer that would make the maximum volume seem sort of tame. I know we have denizens here who know a lot more about this than I do - this may be your chance to help someone.

Maybe we should say something like: the ML system in the LS460/600s is capable of producing enough volume to satisfy most owners requirements. And ask if the person who started this discussion has some special requirement or situation.

It could be someone who is new to the car or has a broken system.

Remember, it is questions from newcomers that help keep this site alive and interesting.
Old 01-27-16, 05:09 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney

Remember, it is questions from newcomers that help keep this site alive and interesting.
Couldn't agree more
Old 01-27-16, 05:32 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Well, we don't really know much about the person who started this thread.

It could be someone who has a problem with their car audio system and needs the help of some of our experts. I can think of several maladjustments of the speaker balance and equalizer that would make the maximum volume seem sort of tame. I know we have denizens here who know a lot more about this than I do - this may be your chance to help someone.

Maybe we should say something like: the ML system in the LS460/600s is capable of producing enough volume to satisfy most owners requirements. And ask if the person who started this discussion has some special requirement or situation.

It could be someone who is new to the car or has a broken system.

I agree, that's why I asked the OP to be more specific and descriptive so that he could get better responses. I also think it's a good idea to follow up if asking a question and clarify or ask follow up questions. We are a forum and here to help. I ask ton of questions myself and appreciate the responses and love to help out when possible as well.
Old 01-27-16, 05:44 PM
slaapen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you find an aftermarket amp that has as many channel output for the speakers as the ML amp, you let me know. I've heard a car with Focal speakers setup and the sound quality surpasses the quality of the ML setup given the amount of speakers it has. If you want to go louder, the power that sends to the speakers is the source you need to look at.
Old 01-27-16, 06:33 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slaapen
If you find an aftermarket amp that has as many channel output for the speakers as the ML amp, you let me know. I've heard a car with Focal speakers setup and the sound quality surpasses the quality of the ML setup given the amount of speakers it has. If you want to go louder, the power that sends to the speakers is the source you need to look at.
I know from past experience it isn't as easy as replacing the amp and speakers. Getting the signal to the amp has proven to be difficult for many. I'd only assume that with a whopping 19 speakers that task would be impossible save for replying the head unit as well.
Old 01-27-16, 06:46 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

the biggest problem with any auto sound system is the source of the sound.

if you are streaming from your phone or an MP3 device the "loudness" is going to suck, especially if you are streaming through Bluetooth or USB.

while USB is better than Bluetooth, the fact is the bandwidth for streaming in these manners is very low so you lose a lot of the mid range and bottom end, as such you have to crank the volume up to 35-45 to get the full range of the sound, be even at that it is lacking a lot of the bottom end.

using a "headphone" jack cable is a bit better, but the best way is using a CD or DVD with loaded with Lossless (not Lossy) music files.

Lossy music formats (compressed music digital files) like MP3 or AAC take a lot of the quality of the music away, streaming services like Pandora and Slacker use similar Lossy formats to stream and their compression is even worse than an MP3.

Lossless formats such as AIFF, FLAC, WAV, WMA, DSD, or SACD use the full digital file and you don't lose quality, therefore the music from these sources will appear to be "louder" which is a bad term, the proper term is that they are complete, highs, mids, and lows, nothing is lost therefore the music is more complete, crisp, and will seem to be louder, that is you will not have to turn the volume up to 40 to get the full range of the music, 20-25 works just fine.

The problem with Lossless is the files are HUGE, a 700mb CD can only hold 8-12 songs in Lossless formats, vs. 500-600 in MP3 format.

If you are like me and like crisp full range music, then Lossless is the only way to go. I come from a family of musicians, and I am not tone deaf, I can clearly pull out the lows, mids, and highs and hear when music is not properly staged.

Personally IMO a car is by far the worst environment for quality music..

so to answer your question, if you are using an mp3 type player or phone you can do a few simple things to make the sound louder:

1. make sure the volume of your mp3 device is turned all the way up,
2. use the headphone jack and plug into the 3.5mm port instead of using Bluetooth
3. try some good quality Lossless music (go buy a CD) and hear the difference.
Old 05-15-17, 12:21 AM
fatalexx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
how can I do that?
Old 05-15-17, 07:31 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

That was a lighthearted reference to the Spinal Tap rock band parody movie.
In it the band replaced the ***** that normally are labeled 1 - 10 with *****
that were printed with a scale that went 1 - 11. Same amp, same actual
volume but you could "turn it up to 11!" Much better, right? Oh yeah, much!
Old 05-15-17, 11:00 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, back to the original question, I noticed that the volume of my 2014 LS460 ML system was much lower than my 2007. I'm guessing this was deliberate to avoid having to replace blown speakers and subs in the original car. I also noticed that the sound is far more forward biased in the 2014 than the 2007 (which may contribute to some of the perceived loss in volume).

Fatalexx - I see you have a 2010 - don't know if they tweaked the ML volume with the 2010 update - anybody else know?

Quick Reply: is there any way to make my mark levinson speaker louder?