LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS won't start - changed battery and still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 09:05 PM
BlueAspen
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS won't start - changed battery and still won't start

Hello - about 18 months ago my 2008 LS 460 wouldn't start after numerous attempts and displayed an error saying "Check VSC...". While waiting for the tow truck, I hit the start again randomly and bam! car started up.

The next morning, the car started up great again so I drove it to the dealership and told them about everything that happen. They said it was probably a bad battery. They changed out the battery (it was 26 months old) and said everything would be fine. A couple weeks later the car would jump and lurch during slow speed accelerations so brought back in. Nothing could be replicated so took car home. Car kept acting up and went to another dealership. After having the car for 3 days the mechanic replicated the issue and said a chip needed to be reset. After that....LS was back to great self.

Then today, car won't start and get "Check VSC..." error message. It's Sunday afternoon, so just called auto parts store and get new battery. Put new battery in and "Check VSC...." error message gone, BUT car still won't start.

When push button, hear one click and then nothing. All the lights come on, AC can blow, stereo can play, but car just sits there. Checked the battery cables for corrosion and while there was a little on the old battery the cables look good.

Is there any type of reset I can do that needs to happen after changing the battery or anything like a Windows reboot that can happen? I get the sense this is all computer issues and not actually anything mechanical.

My LS only has 87k miles and has followed all the maintenance recommended so I'd really like to break 15 years or 200k miles before saying goodbye.
Old 10-11-15, 09:16 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no expert but maybe the starter?
Old 10-11-15, 11:54 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard that one of the oddest causes of VSC warnings on more recently Lexus vehicles has been from a loose gas cap or defective gas cap gasket. VSC doesn't mean anything specific, it could be a bunch of different issues. Dealer needs to look up the stored codes.
Old 10-11-15, 11:56 PM
Superes350
Rookie

There was one person who had an issue with the starter cable not being attached correctly. It could also be a starter relay that's going bad.
Old 10-12-15, 05:00 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

One click? Usually means there isn't enough power to keep the "hold in windings" held in. What you are hearing is the plate in the starter solenoid hitting the contacts - which it would normally do anyway, but they would be held there while the stater spins he engine. Instead your starter isn't spinning the engine - it usually means weak battery, bad starter, seized engine (I wouldn't worry about that), seized pulley somewhere, loose connection (large amount of voltage drop somewhere not allowing the windings to properly energize).

It very well could be a loose connection at the starter, bad starter, or even a bad battery (even though it's new, you could have a bad alternator that's killing it). If it's a bad battery, when you go to crank it leave the lights on and see if they go dim when you give it a go, if they do the battery is weak.
Old 10-12-15, 06:29 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I would first check the inside of the battery clamps. Clean that area with a fine grit sandpaper (even though they may look OK there may be a thin film preventing a good contact).

If that doesn't work I would take the battery back to the auto store and have them test it, as Doublebase said even a "new" battery can be bad/weak.
Old 10-12-15, 07:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The fact that a new battery solved your issue the last time, tells me that the battery, cables, or starter connection is the culprit. AS others stated, getting that replacement battery tested is a good start (no pun intended). Then I'd look at the starter.
Old 10-12-15, 07:59 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Same thing happened to mine. Changed out the starter and havent had the issue since. I went to an independent shop to have it replaced< they used an oem starter and oem gaskets. Dealership wanted way too much to change it out.
Old 10-12-15, 08:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Ebay has plenty of starters available for anywhere from 150-300 dollars, depending if you want reman, new, Denso, or other. Labor is about 5-6 hrs. A factory Lexus starter from the dealer will cost you about 750 bucks.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-12-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 06:04 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be starter or alternator. New battery helped out because it had a deep full charge. Your alternator maybe be kicking out some power, but not enough to get a full charge. And it the car sits, there will also be a drain on the battery. I would try checking your voltage on the battery and give it a full overnight charge.
Old 10-18-15, 01:59 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Check all the fuses.

It may be futile, but check all the fuses. It won't cost you anything.
Old 10-18-15, 07:47 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Any update from OP?
Old 11-14-15, 06:36 PM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had that problem.... New battery.... Alternator good.....starter bad..... Autozone $135 bucks...
6 hours later.... Press button.... Start right up.... No problem yet.....

Now this ML amp issue.... Dam!
Old 11-20-15, 07:00 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGPIN555
Had that problem.... New battery.... Alternator good.....starter bad..... Autozone $135 bucks...
6 hours later.... Press button.... Start right up.... No problem yet.....

Now this ML amp issue.... Dam!

Stuck at Wal Mart right now, pulled in shut her off went shopping came back out and bam. Push eng. start and starter whines but no engagement..... I'm hoping I'll hit it at the right spot and she'll engage so I can get home.....
Old 11-20-15, 08:33 AM
BigDaddy77
Driver School Candidate

I had a very similar problem. Had the LS towed to an independent Lexus/Toyota shop that I've used for years. They were able to start the car but now the power steering is out. They are baffled. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: LS won't start - changed battery and still won't start