2013+ 2WD in bad weather? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013+ 2WD in bad weather?

Old 08-08-15, 11:57 AM   #16
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

OP is cracking me up living in Atlanta and worrying about such things.

You'll be fine with RWD, it snows 2-3 days a year in Atlanta and the roads are usually clear by noon. I live in Nashville and I was able to get around in my 2wd pickup truck with ice/2-4" of snow without getting stuck or sliding off the road.

Unless you are an EMT, doctor, etc and have to navigate the mountains north of Atlanta constantly, AWD is unneccesary. If you are looking for a used car, the ones with AWD were driven up north in crap weather with the salt spray already starting to eat away at them. That is a car you do not want to buy.
Aron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:21 PM   #17
Devh
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post

You'll be fine with RWD, it snows 2-3 days a year in Atlanta and the roads are usually clear by noon. I live in Nashville and I was able to get around in my 2wd pickup truck with ice/2-4" of snow without getting stuck or sliding off the road.

Unless you are an EMT, doctor, etc and have to navigate the mountains north of Atlanta constantly, AWD is unneccesary. If you are looking for a used car, the ones with AWD were driven up north in crap weather with the salt spray already starting to eat away at them. That is a car you do not want to buy.
There is some truth to that. If the roads are so treacherous for RWD they will be just as well for AWD for the simple fact that other cars on the road do not discriminate when they lose control and plow into you. It is better to just call in sick and stay away from danger.
Devh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 02:35 PM   #18
thbrewst
Driver School Candidate

Ha, yeah I get it. Atlanta is far from Minnesota ;>

Like I said, to a point it is just knowing that it is there than whether or not you really need it. I agree the number of times that you need it here is negligible, and as stated I grew up in the mountains so know how to drive in snow. Some cars do go better than others though so I was mostly looking to see what people had experienced with this specific car and if it was generally decent when 2WD.

Sounds like the general consensus is these are decent enough as long as its a reasonable amount of snow. Ice of course is a different story for pretty much any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post

thbrewst is offline   Reply With Quote