LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear Differential Fluid Change DIY w/Pics

Old 05-11-15, 05:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Rear Differential Fluid Change DIY w/Pics

It was time to change the differential fluid on my '08 LS. The maintenance schedule calls for replacing the fluid every 64k kms (about 40k miles). I got a quote from my Toyota dealer of 105 dollars all in. At first I was tempted, but I thought, "nah...I'll tackle it myself and post a DIY for my LS family here at CL". Doing it myself only saved me about 60 bucks, but I had fun doing it and it was pretty darned simple. I considered using Red Line 75W85 diff fluid, but I read some bad reviews and tests of the stuff and decided to stick with OEM. Since the Toy fluid is only a couple bucks more, it was a no-brainer. The Toy fluid comes in two different types - LT and LS. The LS is for limited slip diffs, and the LT is for regular diffs (like mine).

Also, BE SURE YOU CAN REMOVE THE FILL PLUG BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG!! Otherwise, you'll be stuck with an empty diff and no way to re-fill it if the fill plug strips or is seized on.

So, here we go:

Tools needed:

Hex wrenches
Ramps or jack stands
PB Blaster or similar spray lube
Drain pan
Fluid pump (cheaply obtained at Harbor Freight or Walmart)
2 Liters/Qts of Toyota LT 75W85 GL-5

1. Back your vehicle onto the ramps or jack up and support the back end with jack and stands.

2. Spray the drain plug and fill plug with lube and let it sit for a bit.

3. Place a drain pan under the diff.

4. Before removing the drain plug, loosen the fill plug at the top of the diff:

5. Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to fully drain:

6. While the fluid drains, you can clean the drain and fill plugs. The drain plug has a magnet attached to pick up any metallic sludge, as seen in the pic:

FWIW, the old fluid looked pretty good. I've seen nastier fluid from other vehicles I've changed the fluid on.

7. When the fluid has fully drained, replace the drain plug after cleaning all the sludge off.

8. Pierce the can of diff fluid with a large screwdriver and insert the suction end of the pump into the can:

9. Insert the dispensing end of the pump into the fill hole and pump the entire first can into the diff. Then, with the second can, begin pumping that one until fluid begins to leak out of the fill hole. A total of approx 1.4 liters of fluid will be pumped in. Remove the fill hose and allow any excess fluid to fully drain out of the diff. When it stops dripping, replace the fill plug and tighten. Lexus spec is that the fluid be 0-5mm from the bottom of the fill hole, so no need to worry about not having enough or too much fluid, so long as it stops dripping when you replace the plug:

10. Crack open a beer, or pour a nice glass of Dreaming Tree Cab Sauv and admire your handiwork.

After a few miles of driving, be sure to check that the drain plug isn't leaking.

Hope this proves helpful for some of you.
The following 13 users liked this post by roadfrog:
213374U (08-09-17), bhesse (01-11-23), Boomin (06-19-20), cabbieron (02-15-18), CharSu (04-23-19), eclipse641 (05-24-20), JoeMe (05-20-18), jscherba (04-29-19), Lexus737 (07-04-18), RazorBack1 (03-04-18), SENSAY813 (11-28-21), twinterer (08-25-20), yyymmm31 (11-04-17) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-15, 05:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Nice write up!
I did mine last year...used Mobil 1 75w90 full synthetic. It was readily available and reasonably priced.
I see you used a transfer pump, I have the same one, it's good for a few fluid exchanges...cheap too.
Old 05-11-15, 05:29 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Great write up!
Old 05-11-15, 05:42 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog

Also, BE SURE YOU CAN REMOVE THE FILL PLUG BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG!! Otherwise, you'll be stuck with an empty diff and no way to re-fill it if the fill plug strips or is seized on.
Awesome, as always! Thank you for posting. And well, the quote is emphasized because no truer words have ever been spoken! That would be one ugly problem.
Old 05-11-15, 08:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Very, very nice write up. I'm sure many DIYers here will appreciate that for years to come.

As for, "BE SURE YOU CAN REMOVE THE FILL PLUG BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG!! Otherwise, you'll be stuck with an empty diff and no way to re-fill it if the fill plug strips or is seized on." been there done that on one of my Harley's once. Although eventually I would have had to get the clutch cover off any way some time.
Old 05-11-15, 09:04 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Awesome my friend, simply awesome!
I perhaps will be doing this small DIY fluid change this summer!
Great job!
Old 05-12-15, 04:39 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I had this done for $75 back in Jan, though my Lexus service said "why would you want to change that, it's not awd?".

Next time I need this done, I'll drive up to Canada....hehe
Old 05-12-15, 05:40 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY write up Roadfrog! Was planning on doing this in the near future.

Do all LSs come with an open diff? I thought I read somewhere that we do have a limited slip, but I guess I'm wrong. Will just have to check by laying some rubber to make sure

Also, does the manual call for 75-85 specifically? Was thinking of using Mobil 1 75-90 like Doublebase. I've used it on my Z06 that had some humming in the rear end and after I used Mobil 1, it almost completely went away. However, I know that Mobil 1 75-90 has limited slip additive in it already - not sure if that would hurt the non-limited slip diff we have. Might just go with the toyota LT gear oil.
Old 05-12-15, 06:18 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl
Great DIY write up Roadfrog! Was planning on doing this in the near future. Do all LSs come with an open diff? I thought I read somewhere that we do have a limited slip, but I guess I'm wrong. Will just have to check by laying some rubber to make sure Also, does the manual call for 75-85 specifically? Was thinking of using Mobil 1 75-90 like Doublebase. I've used it on my Z06 that had some humming in the rear end and after I used Mobil 1, it almost completely went away. However, I know that Mobil 1 75-90 has limited slip additive in it already - not sure if that would hurt the non-limited slip diff we have. Might just go with the toyota LT gear oil.
I think only AWD LS460s have limited slip. Question is whether the Sport package (produced for 2010-12, I think) and 2013+ F-Sport also do. However, for 2007-09 with RWD definitely no limited slip.
Old 05-12-15, 09:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What Caha said. No limited slip, except as he noted.

As for the viscosity, 75W85 is what our vehicles call for. 75W90 is too heavy, though I know many use it and the 90 probably sheers down to 85. I prefer not too chance it. For example, Amsoil recommends their 75W90 for our diffs. Again, I prefer to use what Lexus calls for.

Have a read here of the tests done by a lab on various diff fluids. Very extensive and eye-opening. Lucas, Redline and Royal Purple, which many swear by, failed miserably: http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-...comparison.pdf

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-12-15 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eclipse641 (05-24-20)
Old 05-12-15, 09:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
I had this done for $75 back in Jan, though my Lexus service said "why would you want to change that, it's not awd?".

Next time I need this done, I'll drive up to Canada....hehe
I'm sure they did, but I bet if you had suffered diff failure, they would have said, "why DIDN'T you change the fluid?" Then promptly denied any warranty.

As for coming to Canada, you and anyone here at CL has an open invitation.
Old 05-12-15, 09:25 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, roadfrog.

Seeing how you love and taking care of your LS now, and if you took care of your former 7-series as much, I can't imagine how awful that experience was.
Old 05-12-15, 10:10 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by konradl
Great DIY write up Roadfrog! Was planning on doing this in the near future.

Do all LSs come with an open diff? I thought I read somewhere that we do have a limited slip, but I guess I'm wrong. Will just have to check by laying some rubber to make sure

Also, does the manual call for 75-85 specifically? Was thinking of using Mobil 1 75-90 like Doublebase. I've used it on my Z06 that had some humming in the rear end and after I used Mobil 1, it almost completely went away. However, I know that Mobil 1 75-90 has limited slip additive in it already - not sure if that would hurt the non-limited slip diff we have. Might just go with the toyota LT gear oil.
It may not harm it but it may not be optimal. Some performance people have found that the limited slip additive in some of these fluids did not jive well in open diffs so companies like Redline sell fluid without the slip modifier.
When it comes time to change my fluid I too am going the Toyota fluid rout because it's probably formulated correctly and because I'm not towing anything to warrant any kind of "super fluid" claims.
Old 05-12-15, 12:59 PM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Have a read here of the tests done by a lab on various diff fluids. Very extensive and eye-opening. Lucas, Redline and Royal Purple which many swear by failed miserably: http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-...comparison.pdf
Great info - thanks. Looks like Mobil 1 is second to best, after Amsoil.

Originally Posted by Devh
It may not harm it but it may not be optimal. Some performance people have found that the limited slip additive in some of these fluids did not jive well in open diffs so companies like Redline sell fluid without the slip modifier.
When it comes time to change my fluid I too am going the Toyota fluid rout because it's probably formulated correctly and because I'm not towing anything to warrant any kind of "super fluid" claims.
I agree... It's a bit expensive but I sounds to be the best choice.
Old 05-12-15, 04:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sprtent
Thanks, roadfrog.

Seeing how you love and taking care of your LS now, and if you took care of your former 7-series as much, I can't imagine how awful that experience was.
You have no idea! LOL. The thing is, with the common issues that the 7 series has/had, it's never a small problem. For example, it's clear the LS460 has issues with control arm bushings, but it's a small deal - cheaply and easily fixed. However, with the 7 series, it was a always catastrophic, both in cost and problem. Coolant Pipe? Engine teardown. Oil burning? Engine teardown. Carbon blockage? Engine Teardown. Gasket leaks? Engine teardown. You get the idea. And those were the most common issues which effected 90% of the members at Bimmerfest.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
Persocon (08-20-17), sprtent (03-13-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Differential Fluid Change DIY w/Pics