LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Updated Nav to Version 14.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 03:33 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Updated Nav to Version 14.1

Today we drove over to Tulsa and updated our 2010 LS 460L Nav version 9.1 to Nav Version 14.1. The cost was $99.00 for the update, $108.00 for 1 hour of labor and $13.83 for tax for a total out the door cost of $220.83. The only change I have noticed so far was that it reset the Nav settings back to default which is not that big of a deal to put your personnel preferences back in. If someone else has also had the update installed and has found new and exciting changes please post what they are and how to get to them. Our Addressee book remained unchanged and was not effected.

Dennis
Old 10-22-14, 06:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I just find it ridiculous that I can by 3 or 4 fully featured stand alone GPS units (TomTom, Garmin, etc) for the cost of a software update to an existing system. Pfffft. But dang it, I'll do it (eventually).
Old 10-22-14, 06:16 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't bothered. I usually use it to get me close enough, then I just find my way. Worse case scenario I'll use my phone. They should be updating for free or just the $99 dollars. adding labor is a kick in the teeth.
Old 10-22-14, 07:00 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I would not care so much about the price, it the quality of my navigation would be comparable at least to the cheapest Garmin which I can buy for a fraction of the update price.
But...I had many Toyotas and Lexus in last 15 years. I still own (personally or my company) 2014 LS, 2008 Sequoia, 2013 Venza, 2006 SC430 and 2003 Land Cruiser. All of them are great cars. With one exception - the navigation. Toyota/Lexus navigation is much worse than the cheapest Garmin you can buy at your local Walmart. And the Garmin will have lifetime free map updates...
So let's compare with a Garmin unit which you can purchase for about $80:
1. The maps are not current even at the time of update. They use the same source (Navteq) but when the annual update is ready, it's about 6-10 months older comparing to the current Garmin maps. I cannot believe that today the maps cannot be updated through the internet few times a year.
2. I strongly miss speed limits displayed on my Toyota/Lexus navigations. Maybe, they will be available for the new nav generation (2015 LS) but we cannot expect firmware update for our older units to get also these data.
3. Where is the altitude? I need it. And also latitude and longitude. I don't need them so often but GPS should have them.
4. Why passengers cannot work with the navigation while I am driving? That's simply stupid! Voice recognition does not work for non-native speakers (like me) but I have also seen some Americans having the same issues.

Of course, there are some other missing features. In a car like LS I would expect navigation displayed on head-up display. But there is no head-up display in LS. And even in other Lexus cars (like RX350) where you could have it, this option is gone for this year.
Old 10-22-14, 07:10 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Btw, when you look at the FAQ section of Lexus Navigation webpage (http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq/), you can find this:

Why does Lexus’ map updates cost as much as some handheld GPS devices?
Lexus sources its map information from more than one supplier. Additionally, Lexus validates the information it obtains for its annual updates. Many suppliers of handheld devices do not go through a validation process.

This answer makes me extremely angry! No! Dear Toyota, your maps are generally significantly worse than these on the cheap navigation units. They are older and your navigation algorithm is much worse comparing to Garmin! If someone from Toyota reads this forum, please remove this question from the FAQ. It's a lie and it's extremely annoying.
Old 10-23-14, 07:12 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

My thinking was that I would bring the map data up to date. Our Map data was the 9.1 version and thus 5 years old. I could not see doing this on a yearly basis. As far as using a Garmin or some other stand alone GPS system. Just could not bring myself to hang one off the windshield or have one on the dash. We are still kicking and screaming with regards to being forced into smart phones by our grandchildren so that is not an option or at least at this time. And besides we had a nice lunch in Tulsa.

Dennis
Old 10-23-14, 08:30 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had my car in Chicago at McGrath Lexus on Saturday, and had the GPS updated for $99+$99 service fee, and i believe that it was the first time it had ever been updated, (so it had 6.1 or 7.1 maps?).

Yes there were many changes as some roads now show up now that were never on there before, and our new highway system downtown Columbus is shown now. I believe that it has also helped my XM Traffic to report accurately.

the only thing i've noticed is that it has had to slightly "learn" my residential neighborhood roads now, as I turn the corner before it shows i'm at an intersection now...
Old 10-23-14, 08:45 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

pete

If it had never been updated it would have been version 6.1. The Nav version is always a year behind the model year. The fact that there is not a set install price is somewhat annoying. You paid $99 in Chicago, I paid $108 in Tulsa and Omaha wanted $118. The whole process takes 30 min at best I am guessing. It takes longer to get you car washed then install the update.

Dennis
Old 10-23-14, 10:55 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

all they have to do is sit in the car and press a few screen prompts when they show up, so they normally charge about an hour labor as a "minimum" lol (only lexus! ).

i can get my car washed in 5 minutes, because in Columbus, you can just drive to the service building down the road and press the green button, so i got you beat there!
Old 10-23-14, 08:39 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Hey Guys!

I updated my database this week as well to version 14.1. It was apparent that the previous owner never updated it and still was version 7.1. For me, I figure it would be good to update maybe every 2-3 years going forward.

I know today's smartphones are better and all, but I still would rather look at the dash vs look at my phone. I would probably use the phone to just give me voice directions and quick searches.

So Lexus of Sacramento charged me $99 for the update. I guess they do a special labor price for the install and that was $65. So I lucked out and paid $172 out the door.

Vasilios
Old 10-23-14, 11:33 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

In all honesty I think the update is pointless. It doesn't update the user interface...which is what it needs. I find my phone much more useful and it stays updated. It's user interface updates when the app updates. Just recently my phone now tells me which lane to be in when directing me. I realize the roads are updated but new roads aren't popping up that often in the sf bay area.
Old 10-24-14, 05:24 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the Lexus navigation system is really one of the few weak links in the car.

I've read on these forums about the VIAS system which I believe allows you to use your telephone maps and view it on the screen. This gives you the best of both worlds because you're looking at the big screen in the dash but you're using the better quality navigation system offered by Google or other products available on your phone.

I have a 2013 and is not available yet for my car but I believe it is available for cars that are 2012 and older

This may be the best solution available.

It's an amazing to me that Mercedes, BMW, GM, Ford and just about every other car I've seen has a more intuitive nap system then Toyota but my Lexus has given me zero problems so that's a small price to pay in my mind
Old 10-24-14, 05:42 AM
greekguy66
Driver

The one downside to the Vais iVic product is that on a LS that does not self park the back up camera is disabled.
Old 10-24-14, 06:27 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

That now makes 4 different install labor rates. Lexus should get off the dime and tell the dealerships what the flat rate to install the updates should be. IMHO.

Dennis
Old 10-24-14, 07:41 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
That now makes 4 different install labor rates. Lexus should get off the dime and tell the dealerships what the flat rate to install the updates should be. IMHO.

Dennis
greekguy66 got a heck of a deal! make that the standard rate!

Quick Reply: Updated Nav to Version 14.1