LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 07:37 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ruffie
While I love my current Lexus and I loved the one before, this is something I don't understand. Lexus models cost between $32,000 up to and over $80,000 any they don't come with a factory installed, smart phone controlled remote starter. They have the technology in the cars, they just want to to give them even more money to push "Start" on your phone and the car cranks up. My son has an older model truck and it has remote start.You would think for a $50,000 price tag you could keep from freezing your butt off to start a car.
Originally Posted by tradosauru
Even my 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco has remote start (as an option though).
Eh, it's not a Lexus only thing. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all do it. I'm guessing it's a luxury car thing since you can't get remote start stock either on higher end cars such as Bentley's or even Rolls Royce. This is starting to change though...
The one thing I do like about LS is the fact that you don't need to sacrifice a key to get remote start.
Old 12-10-15, 08:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Eh, it's not a Lexus only thing. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes all do it. I'm guessing it's a luxury car thing since you can't get remote start stock either on higher end cars such as Bentley's or even Rolls Royce. This is starting to change though...
This.

I'm not aware of any "factory installed" remotes in any manufacturer's vehicles. Dealer installed, yes...but not form factory.

There are companies that threaten to void your warranty if a remote is installed. This was discussed ad nauseam in the Bimmerfest forums.

The consensus is, that warming up an engine from cold, is not good for an engine, Specifically, in BMW's for example, the quirky PCV system would cause massive oil leaks. This happened to my wife's BMW. She warmed up the car via remote start, got in the car and drove to work. Shortly after, she called me to tell me that her oil light had come on. I told her I'd come by and have a look. When I stepped outside the house, I immediately noticed oil all over the driveway and down the street. When I got to her workplace, I checked her oil and it was completely empty. Approx 9 qts of oil were emptied on her short drive to work (about 7 miles). Turns out, the condensation accumulated from idling, froze in the PCV system, causing the oil to pump out of the crankcase. Fortunately, no engine damage occurred.

It's widely accepted and agreed that idling a cold engine does more harm than good. That said, my wife still wants one installed on her CT200 and I have one on my LS. Great for hot days to cool off the car.
Old 12-10-15, 12:00 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This.

I'm not aware of any "factory installed" remotes in any manufacturer's vehicles. Dealer installed, yes...but not form factory.

There are companies that threaten to void your warranty if a remote is installed. This was discussed ad nauseam in the Bimmerfest forums.

The consensus is, that warming up an engine from cold, is not good for an engine, Specifically, in BMW's for example, the quirky PCV system would cause massive oil leaks. This happened to my wife's BMW. She warmed up the car via remote start, got in the car and drove to work. Shortly after, she called me to tell me that her oil light had come on. I told her I'd come by and have a look. When I stepped outside the house, I immediately noticed oil all over the driveway and down the street. When I got to her workplace, I checked her oil and it was completely empty. Approx 9 qts of oil were emptied on her short drive to work (about 7 miles). Turns out, the condensation accumulated from idling, froze in the PCV system, causing the oil to pump out of the crankcase. Fortunately, no engine damage occurred.

It's widely accepted and agreed that idling a cold engine does more harm than good. That said, my wife still wants one installed on her CT200 and I have one on my LS. Great for hot days to cool off the car.
Exactly. Cold idling isn't exactly good for your engine. In fact, the recommendation is turn the car on and let it idle for around a minute or until the RPMs die down from 1500 or whatever to around 1000 and then just drive. The car warms up in a few minutes after that. It literally is the quickest way to warm up a car. There are also other issues such as your trans fluid not actually warming up while the car is idling. The best solution is an engine/oil warmer. In fact in some European countries it's an option you can get on your cars.

There was a whole discussion about this in the Audi forums also. This is why I never ended up getting remote start on my A6. That and the fact that the heated steering wheel and seats warm up within 30 seconds or so anyway.
Old 12-10-15, 12:33 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy have the times changed.
People,used to be happy with their carbureted cars starting in the winter, period.

Now with 385 hp, 8speed auto, 30mpg, and killer sound system with *** warmers is not enough. We do,have it good,

But yes, I agree. Remote start would be cool. We just bought a house and I usually go outside few minutes before we leave and start the car up.