LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blackvue DR550GW-2CH Dash Cam Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 11:42 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackvue DR550GW-2CH Dash Cam Installation

I found a very helpful (for IS owners) DIY for the installation of a Blackvue DR550GW two-channel (dual camera- one front, one rear) dash camera written up by Bass Mech, in which he hard-wires the camera into the fuse box using a Powermagic Pro adapter.

I am looking to do something similar, but for my '07 LS460. I am especially interested in trim removal techniques for the A-pillar and I-beam running down the front-left side of the car.

I searched the LS460 forum and found nothing on dash camera installation unique to the LS, so I thought I'd reach out to see whether anyone here has done something similar? I found one radar detector installation guide by roadfrog which hooks up into the sunroof wiring harness, but I am just not technically inclined (and frankly frightened of mucking around with my car's wiring!) enough to do that. I am using my fuse box under either the driver's side or passenger's dash.

Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated!

Last edited by HumanMale; 07-16-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-17-14, 05:05 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Take it to either a stereo shop or an auto body shop, they remove those trim pieces all the time.
Old 07-17-14, 12:09 PM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Take it to either a stereo shop or an auto body shop, they remove those trim pieces all the time.
Yeah, but were it anything like the IS, then I was confident I could handle it myself. And I could save myself at least a hundred or so in labour, not to mention risking someone other than myself damaging my interior panels in any way.

Turns out I was right. It took me maybe 3 hours last night, but through some trial and error (and mucking about with those ridiculously small mini low profile fuses Lexus went with), I was able to get it installed with no extra cable hanging about anywhere. Not noticeable at all when driving actually.

I have now ordered two add-a-circuits from Hong Kong which I plan on using to replace the way I've got them configured now, which is to say the wire is simply jammed into the fuse socket with the fuse itself, as the Powermagic Pro instruction guide recommends. I would just feel more comfortable having those fuses making full contact and the Powermagic Pro connected using the 'extra' fuse in the add-a-circuit. Cleaner that way.
Old 07-17-14, 04:40 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I partially installed the same cam recently, it's powered by one of my 12v socket now until I receive my "add-a-circuit" from hong kong (wanted a low profile one). On ls600h I could easily run the wire trough the suede roof and pillar, I don't see how it could be much harder on the regular ls... no way you have to remove trim part just for this. Be sure to install the hacked russian firmware so you can adjust the bitrate as you want if you get blocky video: http://car-dvr.info/forum/index.php?topic=584.0. I've gone farther by managed to ssh the camera and I installed an additional script on the nand in order to manage file remotely since ftp don't work anymore on those camera. I find the quality of the recording so so, but it's since it have wifi it's a great camera to toy with. I might upgrade the sd card, install samba and even put 32gb of music on it that I could stream from my phone when I drive. Camera get really hot though. Kinda wasted money for the 2 channel part since I don't want to sacrifice the rear sunshade just for the camera. I'll probably find another use for the second cam, would be hard to completely hide it in a spot that it would still be useful.
Old 07-29-14, 12:21 PM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Kinda wasted money for the 2 channel part since I don't want to sacrifice the rear sunshade just for the camera. I'll probably find another use for the second cam, would be hard to completely hide it in a spot that it would still be useful.
Actually, once installed, it doesn't even touch the rear sunshade when it is deployed (i.e. when it is up and protecting against the sun). I found that if I mounted it far enough up and tucked into the sill, it (just barely) does not come into any contact with the sunshade.

So go ahead- install the rear camera! It's been working great for me. I too am awaiting an add-a-circuit from China though in order to properly hardwire it into the car and take advantage of parking mode recording.