LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Actuator Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 05:32 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Just to confirm, its not a safety issue. Its just a noise that comes from it. And yes, the updated part number is for a 600h.
Old 01-20-14, 06:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by onepointon
Just to confirm, its not a safety issue. Its just a noise that comes from it. And yes, the updated part number is for a 600h.
Is the 600h part plug and play. Also do you need to activate the brake actuator when bleeding the brakes.
Thanks
Old 01-22-14, 05:27 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Devh
Is the 600h part plug and play. Also do you need to activate the brake actuator when bleeding the brakes.
Thanks
When looking at the part, the only difference you will see is the part number, so yes, it just bolts up. The TSIB for the noise lists a separate number for the 460 and 600h, but when the parts guy puts the 460 number in, it supersedes to the 600h number.

As far as bleeding the system, we use a utility through the Techstream. The system is electronic and not like your conventional vacuum brake booster style setup. I am not aware of a procedure that would be ok without using some type of scan tool. You'll likely end up with air still trapped in the system and hear a squawking noise from it. Bleeding the brakes on the 460 is a time consuming process to do it properly.
Old 01-22-14, 06:24 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by onepointon
When looking at the part, the only difference you will see is the part number, so yes, it just bolts up. The TSIB for the noise lists a separate number for the 460 and 600h, but when the parts guy puts the 460 number in, it supersedes to the 600h number.

As far as bleeding the system, we use a utility through the Techstream. The system is electronic and not like your conventional vacuum brake booster style setup. I am not aware of a procedure that would be ok without using some type of scan tool. You'll likely end up with air still trapped in the system and hear a squawking noise from it. Bleeding the brakes on the 460 is a time consuming process to do it properly.

Thanks, great to know information. The more complex these cars get the more I have to rely on the dealer for simple service. At least I don't have to get a new battery registered like I did in my old BMW.
Old 01-22-14, 11:02 AM
LSin75033
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since there is a known issue and there IS a TSB on it, I dont understand why Lexus won't just replace it free of charge. I just bought an 09 recently an occasionally hear the noise. I have 59,000 miles and a 3rd party warranty (which I'm assuming wont replace the part). But what's the point of the TSB if they won't fix it?
Old 01-22-14, 11:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by LSin75033
Since there is a known issue and there IS a TSB on it, I dont understand why Lexus won't just replace it free of charge. I just bought an 09 recently an occasionally hear the noise. I have 59,000 miles and a 3rd party warranty (which I'm assuming wont replace the part). But what's the point of the TSB if they won't fix it?
A TSB is just a way to inform Toyota service centers of known defects so they know how to diagnose problems a little better and also have a Toyota recommended fix.. This does not mean that every part is defective and needs to be replaced.
Old 01-22-14, 11:30 AM
LSin75033
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
A TSB is just a way to inform Toyota service centers of known defects so they know how to diagnose problems a little better and also have a Toyota recommended fix.. This does not mean that every part is defective and needs to be replaced.
Even when the known bad part is making popping noises and thuds?
Old 01-22-14, 12:38 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Your car IS also out of warranty. Its not a safety issue, so they aren't required to replace it. Theres an expiration date on a warranty for a reason. If they were required to cover every TSIB part for the life of every vehicle out there, they would likely never make money.

You didn't buy a new car from them, you bought a used car with a third party warranty. Did you even buy it from a dealer?

Last edited by onepointon; 01-22-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:16 PM
Devh
Racer

Even when the known bad part is making popping noises and thuds?
I'm sure there are many actuators that are working just fine without issue. Even if the part is known for certain eventual failure it's just the luck of the draw and you will have to suffer with it but next time when you purchase a car you can vote with your dollars. Even though this might be a costly problem to fix outside of the warranty period consider the alternative of buying a German brand with a lot more known issues then this car.

If they had to repair every known issue after the factory warranty I doubt there would be TSBs.

It's not a perfect world and there are always acceptable risks.
Old 01-25-14, 06:55 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Word: Commission
Old 05-09-14, 11:46 AM
Sticka
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is insane.
Lexus knows this is a problem. They need to step up to the plate.

I called the NHTSA today and they do not have one single complaint for this issue (they do now ).
If we want to make Lexus cover it we ALL need to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

If you have/had a problem with the brake actuator go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
and file a complaint (click at the top right of the screen "file a complaint")
Your information will not be given to Lexus.
Old 05-11-14, 07:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, if its not a safety issue, contacting the NHTSA is a waste of everybody's time. It is a customer satisfaction issue for Lexus and, therefore, very bad corporate PR to ignore customer complaints
Old 05-11-14, 09:27 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes..annoyance issue but not a functional or safety issue. Two dealers told me this and NHTSA probably will not do anything
Old 05-12-14, 12:11 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Moms 07 camry hybrid had the same issue. The noise was pretty bad for 2 days then on day 3 she got the immediately pull over, bunch of dash error lights. Took it to the dealer it stopped and has not came back a few months and nearly 5k miles later.
Old 05-12-14, 08:54 AM
Sticka
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yes..annoyance issue but not a functional or safety issue. Two dealers told me this and NHTSA probably will not do anything
How is it NOT a safety issue?

My dash says "brake malfunction" and "check brake system" (and others) and says " do not drive the vehicle, pull over immediately and contact dealer"
And the dealer said " do not drive the vehicle, it is not safe to drive with that warning on the dash".

So, again.....how is this not a safety issue?

Quick Reply: Brake Actuator Help