LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Diesel-like noise in Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 05:02 PM
timnghiem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone with a new 2013 and up have this issue? I am starting to hear it on my 2013.
Old 11-01-16, 12:56 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by timnghiem
Does anyone with a new 2013 and up have this issue? I am starting to hear it on my 2013.
have u tried a fuel cleaner. I use royal purple, & it's $10 at your local Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...0purple%20fuel

Last edited by superdenso; 11-01-16 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-01-16, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by timnghiem
My 2015 has the same diesel sound at idle. Its not an "issue", its the way the engine's direct injection system sounds...nothing to be done about it. My GS350 sounded the same way, also had direct injection.
Old 11-03-16, 08:41 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My 2015 has the same diesel sound at idle. Its not an "issue", its the way the engine's direct injection system sounds...nothing to be done about it. My GS350 sounded the same way, also had direct injection.
...my 460 with 60k has no diesel "click clack"...if you want to upload recordings we can both do it. This way, if the tambres are markedly different maybe it helps others figure out how to proceed.

Last edited by superdenso; 11-03-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 05:35 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My 2007 HAD this noise

I have been reading this complaint a lot on CL. My 2007 at 85,000 miles had the diesel noise. The DI fuel pump gaskets on the valve covers were leaking as well as the water pump. With my warranty in hand my dealer agreed to replace the gaskets, water pump and some other work. When I received the car back the noise was drastically reduced. I don't notice it when the engine starts from cold or at idle when hot. I am assuming the replacement gaskets, called isolators, do more than stop the leak? Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-16, 06:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpresco
I have been reading this complaint a lot on CL. My 2007 at 85,000 miles had the diesel noise. The DI fuel pump gaskets on the valve covers were leaking as well as the water pump. With my warranty in hand my dealer agreed to replace the gaskets, water pump and some other work. When I received the car back the noise was drastically reduced. I don't notice it when the engine starts from cold or at idle when hot. I am assuming the replacement gaskets, called isolators, do more than stop the leak? Any thoughts?
The gaskets are called isolators? Maybe they redesigned the gaskets to supply some sound deafening? Otherwise I can't see how replacing the high pressure fuel pump gaskets would reduce noise. Now a bad water pump could make some bearing noise, so perhaps replacing that reduced some sound coming from the engine bay? I have an 07 and I don't notice the injector noise, I mean I know it's there, but I can't hear it from the inside of the car and even in the outside its not loud. I've heard loud high pressure fuel pumps before, the 460 is quieter than most. The first time I heard an Audi A4 I couldn't believe how loud those pumps were. And GM or Ford? Wow! Sounds like a cement mixer. But these pumps will start to be designed differently and the noise will be greatly reduced soon enough...I think Hondas are pretty quiet, then again they were the last ones to implement direct injection into their cars.
Old 11-03-16, 07:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fuel pumps are certainly quieter on my 460 than they were on my GS350.
Old 11-18-16, 10:26 AM
Hankel07m
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've got a 2014 LS and the noise is annoying at idle. Service manager's explanation is that it's normal noise from the new fuel injector design. Hope he's right!
Old 11-20-16, 09:04 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hankel07m
I've got a 2014 LS and the noise is annoying at idle. Service manager's explanation is that it's normal noise from the new fuel injector design. Hope he's right!
have u tried a fuel cleaner. I use royal purple, & it's $10 at your local Walmart. If that doesn't get it/try 0w30 weight oil. One of the other should squelch that noise. Then u can go bk and update the mngr.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...0purple%20fuel
Old 02-22-19, 12:09 PM
kermitxc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

reviving an old thread, got a 2013 460 SWB RWD with 54k miles - and noticed the "diesel" ticking when I start in cold weather. I recalled seeing something in the service history:

MILES: 5565
SERVICE: SHORT BLOCK
DESCRIPTION: SHORT BLOCK ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A KNOCKING NOISE (SAYS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE LIFTERS OR LIKE IT IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH OIL) WHEN FIRST STARTING IN THE MORNING OR WHEN AT A STOP & TAKE OFF ~|~COMPRESSION & FUEL CUT TEST ON ALL CYL-NOISE WENT AWAY WHEN CYL #3 WAS DEACTIVATED POSBLE PSTN CLARNCE R&R #3&7 PSTN RD BRG TO INSP OIL CLERNCE CK PSTN PIN TO CONN RD CLRANCE,PSTN PIN TO PSTN CLRANCE ALL N SPECS CYL WALL & PSTN DIAMETER IN SPECS PER FTS R ~|~5552 OPENED TAS CASE#14120158,REPL ENGINE SHORT BLOCK GASKETS,SEALS PER FTS Z=R&R PISTONS TO INSP CLEARNACE PER TAS BEFORE REQ TO REPL ENG PER FTS PERFORMED FUEL CUT TEST ON ALL CYLINDERS-NOISE WENT AWAY WHEN CYLINDER #3 WAS DEACTIVATED, PERFORMED COMPRES

MILES: 13993
SERVICE: MULTI POINT INSPECTION
DESCRIPTION: MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~C/S THERE IS A TAPPING LIKE BEFORE OVERHAUL - STATES THAT CAR SOUND LIKE A OLD PICK UP - VERY LOUD ~|~PISTON CLEARANCE ~|~13993 PISTON CLEARANCE LEXUS STATES THIS IS A NORMAL OCCURRENCE, IT IS INHERENT TO THIS ENGINE DESIGN, AND IS NOT DETRIMENTAL TO THE ENGINE IN ANY WAY. WE WERE ABLE TO DUPLICATE THIS ENGINE SOUND IN TWO OTHER LIKE YEAR AND MODEL VEHICLES.

the car went on the market as L\Certified ~10k after.
am I correct to assume that I'm covered until October 31 2019 seeing how first use for my VIN is October 31 2013 and it currently has 54k miles?

so let's assume that is the case for a minute. What do I take to the dealer other than a cold engine to repro the issue?

Last edited by kermitxc; 02-22-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 12:57 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by kermitxc
reviving an old thread, got a 2013 460 SWB RWD with 54k miles - and noticed the "diesel" ticking when I start in cold weather. I recalled seeing something in the service history:

MILES: 5565
SERVICE: SHORT BLOCK
DESCRIPTION: SHORT BLOCK ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A KNOCKING NOISE (SAYS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE LIFTERS OR LIKE IT IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH OIL) WHEN FIRST STARTING IN THE MORNING OR WHEN AT A STOP & TAKE OFF ~|~COMPRESSION & FUEL CUT TEST ON ALL CYL-NOISE WENT AWAY WHEN CYL #3 WAS DEACTIVATED POSBLE PSTN CLARNCE R&R #3&7 PSTN RD BRG TO INSP OIL CLERNCE CK PSTN PIN TO CONN RD CLRANCE,PSTN PIN TO PSTN CLRANCE ALL N SPECS CYL WALL & PSTN DIAMETER IN SPECS PER FTS R ~|~5552 OPENED TAS CASE#14120158,REPL ENGINE SHORT BLOCK GASKETS,SEALS PER FTS Z=R&R PISTONS TO INSP CLEARNACE PER TAS BEFORE REQ TO REPL ENG PER FTS PERFORMED FUEL CUT TEST ON ALL CYLINDERS-NOISE WENT AWAY WHEN CYLINDER #3 WAS DEACTIVATED, PERFORMED COMPRES

MILES: 13993
SERVICE: MULTI POINT INSPECTION
DESCRIPTION: MULTI POINT INSPECTION ~|~C/S THERE IS A TAPPING LIKE BEFORE OVERHAUL - STATES THAT CAR SOUND LIKE A OLD PICK UP - VERY LOUD ~|~PISTON CLEARANCE ~|~13993 PISTON CLEARANCE LEXUS STATES THIS IS A NORMAL OCCURRENCE, IT IS INHERENT TO THIS ENGINE DESIGN, AND IS NOT DETRIMENTAL TO THE ENGINE IN ANY WAY. WE WERE ABLE TO DUPLICATE THIS ENGINE SOUND IN TWO OTHER LIKE YEAR AND MODEL VEHICLES.

the car went on the market as L\Certified ~10k after.
am I correct to assume that I'm covered until October 31 2019 seeing how first use for my VIN is October 31 2013 and it currently has 54k miles?

so let's assume that is the case for a minute. What do I take to the dealer other than a cold engine to repro the issue?
did it not say it’s a known issue? My car sounds like that too
Old 02-22-19, 01:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The later models all make this noise to a greater or lesser extent (my 2007 was totally silent, my 2014 is quite annoying). It's the camshaft-driven high pressure fuel pumps (one on each cylinder bank). They are like a valve lifter driven off the camshaft. There are sound insulators around the pumps in the LS (which may or may not be present in the GS) but they don't make much difference. I wrapped mine in Dynomat and fiberglass insulation. Made a little difference but not much. It just went from REALLY annoying to just quite annoying!
Old 02-22-19, 03:01 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The later models all make this noise to a greater or lesser extent (my 2007 was totally silent, my 2014 is quite annoying). It's the camshaft-driven high pressure fuel pumps (one on each cylinder bank). They are like a valve lifter driven off the camshaft. There are sound insulators around the pumps in the LS (which may or may not be present in the GS) but they don't make much difference. I wrapped mine in Dynomat and fiberglass insulation. Made a little difference but not much. It just went from REALLY annoying to just quite annoying!
my 2007 is definitely not silent from outside the car I should take a video of the sound and see if you guys think is normal
Old 02-24-19, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Its not a question of newer vs older, its unit to unit. My 2015 is pretty loud, but my 2017 is totally silent.
Old 02-28-19, 05:01 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

By "newer models" I meant the 2013+ cars. I've never heard this on an 07 through 12 car. I've heard it in pretty much every 2013+ car to a greater or lesser extent. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the supplier of the pumps - the earlier cars may have had one supplier that was changed around the time of the facelift. They may have gone back to the original supplier for the 2017 model yesr (because of complaints?)

Quick Reply: Diesel-like noise in Idle